proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

06-29-2021, 09:11 PM   #1
F82 in QC
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4,BMW 750iX

DCT oil change question

Hello guys,
I am going to change the dct oil and filters on my car and was trying to get ista to connect to my car so I can do the oil balancing after jobs done but it just won't connect.
I wondering if it's necessary to use the ista or I could just refill and start the car and let the oil run for a while then refill again?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 07:50 AM   #2
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f82

After first fill, You need to refill with engine on, don’t forget this. Engine at idle.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2021, 08:20 PM   #3
F82 in QC
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4,BMW 750iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei.m4 View Post
After first fill, You need to refill with engine on, don’t forget this. Engine at idle.
thanks! thats what i was planning to do,now i have more confidence.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 10:56 PM   #4
richf80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron8520 View Post
Hello guys,
I am going to change the dct oil and filters on my car and was trying to get ista to connect to my car so I can do the oil balancing after jobs done but it just won't connect.
I wondering if it's necessary to use the ista or I could just refill and start the car and let the oil run for a while then refill again?
Thanks.
I think the part you really need ISTA for is to run the pump at low pressure and circulate through the cooler. Also it's helpful to monitor the temp which needs to stay under 40c while refilling. See 38:24 ish in this video:

Appreciate 2
      06-30-2021, 11:27 PM   #5
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f82

Cooler circuit is full of oil he can not open the circuit, thermostat is mecanicaly not controlled by computer. Just refill with cold engine and gearbox, start the car, keep the gas pedal at 2k rpm for 1 minute then do not stop the car, let at idle and refill again. In this moment i used something and after refill and oil coming outside I added another half liter oil. In this way i never got a warning temperature message after launches or hard pushings in hot temperature.
Appreciate 1
sly1types431.50