ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-28-2019, 08:37 AM   #1
1slowm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Jahre

Best Coilover Setup

Hello everyone!

I'm the proud new owner of a 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, and looking to lower it very soon. I am looking to achieve a good daily driving height & comfort level, while getting rid of some of the wheel gap. I do not plan on tracking the car, however having that option wouldn't be the worst.
I do understand that when changing suspension, that sometimes a sacrifice might need to be made (comfort, dampening, ride height, price, etc...).
I'm looking to stay below 3k installed.

So far, i'm leaning towards the Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilover System. I have also looked at BC Racing BR coils, however I have heard some mixed reviews on those.

Any/all input would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 12:41 PM   #2
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
The Ohlins Road & Track coilover kit a fantastic street system or weekend warriors.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 11:14 PM   #3
valcoralsdad
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Love my Moton 2 way.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 11:17 PM   #4
Harpinc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS3

AST 5200 rides and handles better than my Ohlins did.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 11:20 PM   #5
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpinc View Post
AST 5200 rides and handles better than my Ohlins did.
+1

Insane difference
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 12:22 AM   #6
MPOOR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 / WHITE

If you want absolute best ~~You should go with ~~~ INTRAX or Nitron ~~
M cars with best lap time around Nurburgring Nordschilfe, majority of them
Run Nitron. All team schirmer complete cars run on Nitron.
But then again ~ No point on running adjustable suspension when its not dialed in
correctly.
      02-04-2019, 12:19 PM   #7
mindspin311
Second Lieutenant
Rep

MP or KW HAS
      02-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #8
mindspin311
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Honestly, there's no need to spend thousands and lose EDC for a car that will most likely never see the track. If you're just wanting to remove wheel gap, then buy something like the MP or KW HAS and call it a day.

Last edited by mindspin311; 02-06-2019 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 02:13 PM   #9
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slowm3 View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm the proud new owner of a 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, and looking to lower it very soon. I am looking to achieve a good daily driving height & comfort level, while getting rid of some of the wheel gap. I do not plan on tracking the car, however having that option wouldn't be the worst.
I do understand that when changing suspension, that sometimes a sacrifice might need to be made (comfort, dampening, ride height, price, etc...).

So far, i'm leaning towards the Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilover System. I have also looked at BC Racing BR coils, however I have heard some mixed reviews on those.

You're probably going to get a lot of different point of views when it comes to what's the "best coilover" kit. A majority of the forum members tend to equate performance with best. While this may be true for someone who wants to maximize their lap times, it won't be the best for someone who doesn't track their car.

You mentioned Bilstein PSS10 and BC Forged BR. These two systems are worlds apart in terms of how they approach coilover kits.

For your needs and budget, my preference would be the Ohlins RT, but with a spring rate of 400 lb/in front and 700 lb/in rear. The default spring rates included with the F80 Ohlins RT is ridiculous. Thankfully, they let you choose your own spring rates. IMO, the 400/700 is a good rate for giving your suspension a bit more sportiness but keeping a fair amount of comfort for daily driving on normal streets. Keep in mind that the RT won't go too low.
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5876.00
      02-06-2019, 11:22 PM   #10
e36clubracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ram 3500, f80M3, e36M3

For your budget if you can stretch it a little I would go for the MCS singles or JRZ RS One. The two kits you mentioned are average at very best.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 06:37 AM   #11
mindspin311
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36clubracer View Post
For your budget if you can stretch it a little I would go for the MCS singles or JRZ RS One. The two kits you mentioned are average at very best.
Why are you suggesting motorsport level dampers for a car that will probably not go on track?
      02-07-2019, 08:23 AM   #12
e36clubracer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindspin311 View Post
Why are you suggesting motorsport level dampers for a car that will probably not go on track?
I haven’t seen any pro race teams running single adjustable shocks in a long time? Maybe you know something nobody else does?

Both those options are a significant step up in quality from the usual suspects. Call Bimmerworld, ask how many MCS dampers they’ve had problems with vs other vendors.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 12:45 PM   #13
mystermykee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M4

FWIW, my car sees no track days but I run JRZ RS2 Touring (about to upgrade to sport). I'm on my second set of RS2s as the first set was totaled along with my first F82. I've learned the hard way, numerous times, to get what you want instead of settling for less, or getting something slightly cheaper cause "ehh, I really don't NEED it" or "I should be fine with this. Will I ever use the RS2 to its potential? Most likely not. But I find joy in driving knowing I'm riding on a good quality set of coilovers---I pay attention to every single bump and how the car reacts lol. I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way.

I only have experience with the BR series from BC Racing and they are the best bang for your buck like everyone has stated. However, you can tell right away a good quality damper from a mediocre one. I also had Ohlins TTX on my R8 and again, amazing.

With that being said if you're already thinking about Bilstein, I wouldn't even consider the BR series. If you can swing it go with a double adjustable damper.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 12:51 PM   #14
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Z4, 18 X1, 22 Rivian R1T

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
For your needs and budget, my preference would be the Ohlins RT, but with a spring rate of 400 lb/in front and 700 lb/in rear. The default spring rates included with the F80 Ohlins RT is ridiculous. Thankfully, they let you choose your own spring rates. IMO, the 400/700 is a good rate for giving your suspension a bit more sportiness but keeping a fair amount of comfort for daily driving on normal streets. Keep in mind that the RT won't go too low.
I went down the Ohlins route and went with the M2 rear springs, rather than the ones officially spec'ed for the M4. I love the ride and my goal was not to go low, but rather to have the best ride combination of performance and comfort. It is also wife approved.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 02:54 PM   #15
mindspin311
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I haven’t seen any pro race teams running single adjustable shocks in a long time? Maybe you know something nobody else does?

Both those options are a significant step up in quality from the usual suspects. Call Bimmerworld, ask how many MCS dampers they’ve had problems with vs other vendors.
Regardless of setup, MCS and JRZ are motorsport quality products. Regardless of whether is a single, double, or triple.

My point is, why spend $2000-3000+(?) on MCS/JRZ/Ohlins, etc. to drive around on the street? You lose EDC which you paid for. Why not spend maybe $1000 for a KW HAS kit plus install and alignment? You remove your wheel gap and you keep EDC functionality. In the event they do a track day, set the suspension to Sport+ and do your thing.

Dedicated track car? Different story.
      02-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #16
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slowm3 View Post
Hello everyone!

You're probably going to get a lot of different point of views when it comes to what's the "best coilover" kit. A majority of the forum members tend to equate performance with best. While this may be true for someone who wants to maximize their lap times, it won't be the best for someone who doesn't track their car.

You mentioned Bilstein PSS10 and BC Forged BR. These two systems are worlds apart in terms of how they approach coilover kits.

Totally agree. Coilovers are only as good to a large extent as the springs which come with the kit. The flexibility to choose a desired spring rate based on individual requirements is very important.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #17
e36clubracer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindspin311 View Post
Regardless of setup, MCS and JRZ are motorsport quality products. Regardless of whether is a single, double, or triple.

My point is, why spend $2000-3000+(?) on MCS/JRZ/Ohlins, etc. to drive around on the street? You lose EDC which you paid for. Why not spend maybe $1000 for a KW HAS kit plus install and alignment? You remove your wheel gap and you keep EDC functionality. In the event they do a track day, set the suspension to Sport+ and do your thing.

Dedicated track car? Different story.
Just because you don't see the need to run a quality shock on the street doesn't mean there isn't merit to it. The OP asked opinions on quality coilovers. If you think those shocks are only applicable on the track you are sorely mistaken. I would bet there are many people on this forum that run quality shocks on the street and can attest to the excellent ride quality even over stock. I know for myself I've run both JRZs and Motons on the street for years and it really makes for a great experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 11:56 PM   #18
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Just because you don't see the need to run a quality shock on the street doesn't mean there isn't merit to it. The OP asked opinions on quality coilovers. If you think those shocks are only applicable on the track you are sorely mistaken. I would bet there are many people on this forum that run quality shocks on the street and can attest to the excellent ride quality even over stock. I know for myself I've run both JRZs and Motons on the street for years and it really makes for a great experience.
Great input. Really looking forward to trying the JRZ RS2’s for street driving!
Appreciate 0