EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

10-20-2018, 01:28 PM   #45
Srac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019MY F82 M4 CP SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhm_SIIM4 View Post
Some more driving and it is already starting to loosen up a bit. My old M4 got louder with age so maybe it will happen here too. It is still a little on the quiet side but I can now hear the burbles nicely which I just couldn’t right away.

Also, when I had my vanilla M4, I didn’t really want to believe the magazines when they raved about the suspension difference between the non-CP and the CP - but it is clearly firmer but at the same time smoother over uneven surfaces and flows much better down the country roads where I live ... really quite impressive. That plus the small but important tweak to steering feel (maybe just the tyres and suspension changes) really does elevate it.

Just now I can’t notice any more power - the 19ps difference is negligible in any case ... my old one was plenty fast enough for the real world ... and so is this!

R.
I've also had a bit of an improvement yesterday with some more kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry777 View Post
How many miles you got on it now?

I was playing around with mine yesterday and scrolled through the suspension settings constantly and I cannot detect a lot of difference to the point I convinced myself it doesn't do anything! Trouble is your not driving over the same piece of road when you switch and just can't tell whether any difference is just a piece of different road. Much the same for the steering, it's pretty heavy in all settings.
I notice a big difference in all steering mods. Suspension I can also tell the difference, thought not as noticeable as the steering.

1500 kms so far (932 miles).
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 03:59 PM   #46
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY19 M4 CP (SMB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srac View Post
I've also had a bit of an improvement yesterday with some more kms.

I notice a big difference in all steering mods. Suspension I can also tell the difference, thought not as noticeable as the steering.

1500 kms so far (932 miles).
Big difference for me on suspension settings ... S+ for track only for me - so hard ... Comfort and Sport both work well for roads - M1 button on Sport/Comfort/Comfort/S2, M2 on Sport+/Sport/Comfort/S3 ... Steering always on comfort - just the right weight now - Sport too heavy and hence slow for corrections.

Still only done 2 or 3 hundred miles here ... don’t do many miles in the M.

R.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 01:27 PM   #47
Srac
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Can you notice any difference in sound in Efficient vs Sport+ while idling? Mine makes exactly the same sound. I remember very well in the 2018MY it was a instant huge difference when changing modes.

On a positive note... I've contacted Akrapovic and they're working on making their exhaust system compatible with the new filter. I really liked the sound of the 2018MY, am annoyed that I have to go and spend idk how many more thousand euros to make up the sound difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 12:58 AM   #48
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Can you notice any difference in sound in Efficient vs Sport+ while idling? Mine makes exactly the same sound. I remember very well in the 2018MY it was a instant huge difference when changing modes.

On a positive note... I've contacted Akrapovic and they're working on making their exhaust system compatible with the new filter. I really liked the sound of the 2018MY, am annoyed that I have to go and spend idk how many more thousand euros to make up the sound difference.
I’ll check at weekend (away just now) but it seemed to work like my old one - I.e. the idle is the same until a throttle blip to open valve and then idles more loudly. Then if idling on S/S+ and move to efficient, valve closes and quietens down again. Mine is quieter but not massively so now - I found the old set up a bit too loud this might be okay for me. I’ll see how it beds in ...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 08:47 AM   #49
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP YMB

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
Have you always got the message since new or has it appeared later? If later it could be a regen?

One of things people are wondering regarding PPF is how it effects economy normal driving and with the regens thrown in. Maybe you haven't had a regen yet but what numbers are you seeing for mpg up to now? My pre ppf running in is averaging out at about 31 mostly urban and B road use, 350 miles on it.
That's unusually impressive mpg I would say (or unimpressive depending on your views on a M car ) - my average is around 28 if I drive what I would regard as carefully but 23 is too easily achieved when I want to press on. No stop start traffic in those figures and not much around town as I don't commute - mainly A road driving with some M-way - about 2500 miles on it now...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 09:51 AM   #50
Zippee
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CP SMB

00039 miles

Pick mine up on 5th Nov
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 04:00 PM   #51
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethbridge View Post
That's unusually impressive mpg I would say (or unimpressive depending on your views on a M car ) - my average is around 28 if I drive what I would regard as carefully but 23 is too easily achieved when I want to press on. No stop start traffic in those figures and not much around town as I don't commute - mainly A road driving with some M-way - about 2500 miles on it now...
I did about 25mpg average in my old M4 and so far about 24mpg in the M4CP ... over 30 requires driving like your grannie surely ... never seen them numbers

Whilst its nice to get sensible real world MPG numbers out of the car .. clearly it is not what it is designed for ... I had a 320d loaner and it did 50mpg right away in town driving ... 50mpg of totally joyless nothingness ... on the positive side, it certainly shows how literally everything is different in the way the M goes ... we should all go and drive a 320d before we moan about the steering feel for example!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 04:02 PM   #52
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Have you always got the message since new or has it appeared later? If later it could be a regen?

One of things people are wondering regarding PPF is how it effects economy normal driving and with the regens thrown in. Maybe you haven't had a regen yet but what numbers are you seeing for mpg up to now? My pre ppf running in is averaging out at about 31 mostly urban and B road use, 350 miles on it.
Message appeared the first time I started the car in the showroom. It is just what it says now - that coupled with the lights starting at 4K revs rather than 5.5 or 6 or whatever the last one did. Different warm up procedure - no idea if related to the PF or not.

R.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 08:18 AM   #53
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep

Quick update - I am trying the car with ASD back on but at the lowest level (KL is what my research tells me). So far this isn’t irritating me too much as it is quite a bit more subtle but adds a bit to the sound which is pleasing but not overpowering. Might well resort back to ‘off’ but will see if I can live with this for a bit.

Also, reports of no burbles etc aren’t true in my experience - it is subdued yes but all still present. Exhaust in S/S+ is still loud by normal car standards and mine idles more loudly with valves staying open in S/S+ just like my previous M4. You need to blip throttle to open the valve at idle but then stays open.

R.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17485.50
      10-26-2018, 10:12 AM   #54
Srac
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I've just done the break-in service yesterday and it's still much quieter than the previous year. It does have some (quiet) burbles but no pops and bangs. Overall it's pretty shit, I am very disappointed. I can't even remove the filter because it will fail emission tests.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 10:42 AM   #55
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I've just done the break-in service yesterday and it's still much quieter than the previous year. It does have some (quiet) burbles but no pops and bangs. Overall it's pretty shit, I am very disappointed. I can't even remove the filter because it will fail emission tests.
Sorry to hear that. I guess modded or new exhaust is the answer - maybe the PCW mod might be best plan to restore some volume with major expense.

R.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 12:51 PM   #56
Zippee
Banned
Rep

Link to FB on PCW Exhausts page;

M4CP with PPF mod;

PCW Exhaust mods
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 07:06 PM   #57
eandy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RS

Seen another thread elsewhere where people are saying performance wise the cars aren't hitting figures and vs friends with F8x M's of older age they can't keep with them.

Anyone who's got a new 18 Reg and had a previous noticing power drops? I've had a similar experience with a different marquee where had these filters for emissions and I noticed performance change.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 08:07 PM   #58
Zippee
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandy View Post
Seen another thread elsewhere where people are saying performance wise the cars aren't hitting figures and vs friends with F8x M's of older age they can't keep with them.

Anyone who's got a new 18 Reg and had a previous noticing power drops? I've had a similar experience with a different marquee where had these filters for emissions and I noticed performance change.
It may be a bit early to tell as the PPF fitted cars will be low mileage (assume <2000miles) and not as free as older cars? I think I've seen a Dyno run of a PPF M4 from Evolve that pushed 453bhp stock. I think I also read on this forum that BMW may have upped the boost a tiny bit to compensate.

I think the consensus is that PPF cars are quieter, it is possible with a bit of work to improve the sound and we have to accept that legislation has dulled cars somewhat. Am I disappointed? Yes a tad but every challenge comes with a solution and it most certainly wont take away my feeling of excitement next Monday when I pick mine up. The noise is only a small part of the ///M package and from what we've read from owners, they have been other tweaks that continue to make it cracking. If we just wanted noise, we'd all go out and buy a Mustang remember
Appreciate 1
eandy36.50
      10-27-2018, 03:44 AM   #59
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

My old M4 was fast and loud .. the post-PF M4CP is so far quieter but not slower. If anything it is a little stronger in the mid range. Not sure about top end yet as I’m running it in still. I was a little worried performance wise but it’s fine - I’ll do some performance runs once run in.

The info is 0.1bar more boost to compensate for back pressure of the PF.

R.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 04:24 AM   #60
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i se

0.1bar equates to about 16bhp - I'd be surprised if a slightly more restrictive filter at the 2nd cat position lost that much power.

I'm pretty hopeful for basically no change in output.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 08:10 AM   #61
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep

Had a go with BimmerLink to read the boost pressure. I’m not sure how this works as the only boost parameter I can see is the Boost Pressure Setpoint - someone can correct me but I’m assuming this is the target rather than the actual measured boost??

Anyhoo - in S+ engine mode it shows about 1930hPa maximum at medium revs but racing to the limiter in 3rd it continued to rise and peaked at 2020hPa - I didn’t redline it - none of the change lights came on so probably 6-6.5k revs. Now converting this to psi gives a too high answer - I was expecting about 22psi max but 2020hPa is 29.3psi which seems a bit bonkers. Maybe this parameter isn’t the right one??

By the way it was pulling like a mofo compared to my last one - shame I didn’t use the BimmerLink app on that so I could compare.

Not seen anyone posting measurements from BimmerLink on the F80 so can’t get a comparison. Anyone seen something?

Richard.

Last edited by rhm_SIIM4; 10-27-2018 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 08:40 AM   #62
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep

Right so having a look online it is showing the absolute pressure so you need to take off the baseline atmospheric pressure of 1013hPa to see what the turbo is adding - meaning I was seeing the turbo adding just over 1000hPa of boost which is 14.5psi which might be more sensible given it was still rising and I wasn’t reving that high. However now that feels rather low compared to the standard 18psi I’ve seen and given the my butt dyno was saying it was pulling harder than my last one ... hmmm ...

R.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 02:28 PM   #63
Srac
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Kind of anecdotal evidence as I don't have any facts, but I don't notice any difference in power. Does the M Drive Analyzer have a boost pressure graph? If so I'll test it tonight.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2018, 06:55 AM   #64
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:

My F80 is MY18 but pre PPF. Definitely not an 18 thing.
      04-03-2019, 01:29 PM   #65
Srac
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Great news! After 6.000 km the exhaust is significantly louder. Today just finished 7000 km and it made a crackle for the first time ever (when you release the accelerator at high RPM) and burbles are also noticeable louder. I'm not sure if the soft recall had anything to do with it.
Maybe I won't need to burn 5k euros on a new exhaust after all.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 03:07 PM   #66
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Great news! After 6.000 km the exhaust is significantly louder. Today just finished 7000 km and it made a crackle for the first time ever (when you release the accelerator at high RPM) and burbles are also noticeable louder. I'm not sure if the soft recall had anything to do with it.
Maybe I won't need to burn 5k euros on a new exhaust after all.
Good news indeed. I'm at 3000 miles and getting louder too ... red line revving gives pretty loud crackles and pops now. Going to the track on Sunday - hopefully loosen things up some more!!
Appreciate 0