Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-20-2021, 10:22 AM   #1
msiegel117
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 Convertible

Need Advice (and maybe some education)

Currently have a 535 x drive and am looking to trade it in and get a "base" M4 convertible. The convertible is the primary interest. Had a convertible vette a few years back and had to get rid of it to pay for daughter's college. The 535 is nice but a little heavy and calm. Want something a bit more sporty and with a convertible.

Anyway - i reviewed a bunch of posts and thank you all for the useful information.

Can you guide me about the base model M4? Am I missing key components at the base model? Are other models available in convertible and are the additional features worth it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by msiegel117; 10-20-2021 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: Spelling mistake
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 11:08 PM   #2
Chicago F82
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F82 M4

I just recently purchased a F82 M4 base coupe. The reason why I recommend coupe is because of the carbon roof is one of the most signature part of a M4. Plus, F83's body line is not as fluent as a F82. Plus, the trunk space of the F83 is terrible. Just my personal thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 11:21 PM   #3
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
The Base cars (F80, F82, and F83) come with static suspension (equivalent to halfway between Sport and Sport+ on the EDC cars), softer sway bars (compared to ZCP), rounded halo lights, 513M wheels, 255 Michelins up front and 275 on the rear, no comfort access (will have to press key fob to open/close doors), no driver aides (2015's didn't even have a reverse camera), chrome grills/emblems/muffler tips/accents, 431 hp/406 lb-ft, and 6-speed manual transmission. Also, the convertibles have seats that are exclusive to the F83 regardless of what package you opt for.

You can essentially make any version (LCI, ZCP, CS, GTS) of the F8X that you'll like as the after market support for the platform is fully developed. In fact, you'll have several options for almost any part you'd like to customize a base model car if you so choose to.

Personally, I like cars with the Executive package for the updated headlights (but even that can be retrofitted).

Good luck with your search! Be sure to post pictures when you buy your M4

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 02:19 AM   #4
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

I think by base model he means the standard M4. Not a stripper. You can get most of the options on a base model. In later years headlight and tail lights look a bit different. The comp cars get a slightly better suspension and heavier wheels. Along with slightly different seats.

Get all the options you can. They are all nice. The only I think that's not a must have is the 360 camera.

Personal opinion -- if you want a convertible get a regular 3 series or z4 or boxster. The m4 vert weighs about as much as your 535 sedan.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 05:00 AM   #5
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
just got a 2016 M3 base and i have comfort access. Also coded my car to allow for mirror folding via keyfob and via comfort access functions too. Have normal suspension which isn't too bad and can add/upgrade suspension as needed. Car came with aftermarket exhaust so that was a plus and IDrive is standard and will soon be flashed to Carplay Mod so not bad choice and saved me some $$$. More for mods and driving!
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 10:38 AM   #6
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by msiegel117 View Post
Currently have a 535 x drive and am looking to trade it in and get a "base" M4 convertible. The convertible is the primary interest. Had a convertible vette a few years back and had to get rid of it to pay for daughter's college. The 535 is nice but a little heavy and calm. Want something a bit more sporty and with a convertible.

Anyway - i reviewed a bunch of posts and thank you all for the useful information.

Can you guide me about the base model M4? Am I missing key components at the base model? Are other models available in convertible and are the additional features worth it?

Thanks in advance.
I would say yes, the executive package is worth it. It gives the car a "premium feel". The HUD is great, it's hard to go back to normal gauges.

The later years got Adaptive Suspension standard which I think is a huge plus, it was a $1k option before. When you drive on bad roads, switch it to comfort... or if you live in terrible roads all the time like me... leave it in comfort. Beverly Hills doesn't have very good roads believe it or not, despite the expensive zip code. It won't be as cushy as your 5 series but you get to choose if you wanna be comfyish or more sporty.

The 360 camera is very nice to live with day to day. Not required but nice to have in certain situations like in a tight parking garage. M4 is a bit of a wide car.

The side view cameras are game changers. It allows you to see further on your sides like trash cans or parked cars block your vision. THIS SHOULD BE STANDARD ON ALL FUTURE CARS!!

Not sure if you care about the Active Driving Assistant, it basically helps slow you down if you get too close to a car to prevent you from rear ending someone.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2021, 07:57 AM   #7
Fantastipotamus
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Vert DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
I think by base model he means the standard M4. Not a stripper. You can get most of the options on a base model. In later years headlight and tail lights look a bit different. The comp cars get a slightly better suspension and heavier wheels. Along with slightly different seats.

Get all the options you can. They are all nice. The only I think that's not a must have is the 360 camera.

Personal opinion -- if you want a convertible get a regular 3 series or z4 or boxster. The m4 vert weighs about as much as your 535 sedan.
I agree with this apart from the ‘opinion’ part. I believe the ‘base’ just means non-competition or other special edition. That’s what it looked like when i was researching my recent M4 purchase.

The convertible M4 is near the perfect car if you don’t plan to track it. Still PLENTY fast, despite the extra weight, folding hardtop is much quieter than a soft top on the highway, and to be honest, i prefer the roofline of the convertible 4 series to the shooting-brake type look of the non-vert. Just my personal preference there.

For options, 100% make sure it has the HK system. Was a standard option starting in .. 2016? 2017 maybe? But my 2015 wasn’t optioned with it. Had to spend $1k on a bimmertech amp to wake it up.

Here’s mine, picked up a few weeks ago, 2015 w/ 33k miles. Zero regrets, love this car.
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 10:52 AM   #8
msiegel117
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 Convertible

Thank you all for your comments! And yes...when I mentioned base M4 I was referring to the level of the car, base vs competition, etc. All your comments are very much appreciated. I plan on waiting to see what is available after the new year as I am expecting a small end of year bonus that will go toward the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 12:30 AM   #9
2Slo_F83
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 | F83 + 06 | Lexus IS350

Quote:
Originally Posted by msiegel117 View Post
Thank you all for your comments! And yes...when I mentioned base M4 I was referring to the level of the car, base vs competition, etc. All your comments are very much appreciated. I plan on waiting to see what is available after the new year as I am expecting a small end of year bonus that will go toward the car.
Good luck OP! Even I have been on the market looking for a 2018-2020 M4 with Comp+Exec package with less then 15k miles.

Test drove few but I feel the prices are through the roof $75K+ in SoCal. Few other members also recommended me to wait, but I feel I have been waiting for TOO long! Lol

What's your thought on price dip next year? How is the market actually? I still don't see a lot of 2022 M4 convertibles available in the market.