Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-18-2020, 09:26 PM   #1
m4deyoulook
1 of 1.
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Oil still leaking after Valve Cover Gasket replaced??

I had a valve cover gasket leak and oil was burning on the exhaust coming through the vents.. I got that replaced and got an engine wash. After that it was perfect for about 3 hours, no smells no smoke.

But after that I noticed when I’m pushing the car or driving regularly for a while and come to a stop I’m having the same issues as before. A bunch of smoke in the cabin and a high oil burning smell STILL

Anyone know what this might be since I got the vcg replaced already?
I added a picture of where the smoke comes from under the hood.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 04:06 AM   #2
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Maybe some of the charge cooler coolant is leaking from that area and onto the manifold? Check it with a mirror and flashlight
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 08:45 AM   #3
m4deyoulook
1 of 1.
Rep

UPDATE: checked under the hood again this morning. it's still leaking from the valve gasket
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Poiseuille5378.00
      03-19-2020, 08:47 AM   #4
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
vcg replaced by BMW or an Indy? anyway, wouldn't be the first time an incorrectly installed vcg continued to leak. you should talk to whoever did that job.
VERY curious though: how many miles were on the car when you first noticed the leak?
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2020, 08:53 AM   #5
m4deyoulook
1 of 1.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
vcg replaced by BMW or an Indy? anyway, wouldn't be the first time an incorrectly installed vcg continued to leak. you should talk to whoever did that job.
VERY curious though: how many miles were on the car when you first noticed the leak?
an indy, yea i went back to him this morning my guess is he might've tightened the bolts too tight. He thinks the valve cover could be warped but the bolts are close to eachother so its unusual to warp in my opinion. I was just under 47k miles when this happened. its a 2015 model.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 10:03 AM   #6
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealForeignnn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
an indy, yea i went back to him this morning my guess is he might've tightened the bolts too tight. He thinks the valve cover could be warped but the bolts are close to eachother so its unusual to warp in my opinion. I was just under 47k miles when this happened. its a 2015 model.
did he replace the washers?

Edit: yanno, as usual i'm thinking M62, S54 etc. haven't yet had this issue with S55.
looks like for S55 there's one part # for the bolt/washer, may even be one piece.
anybody who has already done this job feel free to chime in on the washer issue....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 04:54 PM   #7
m4deyoulook
1 of 1.
Rep

UPDATE: So the valve gasket ended up being incorrectly installed by the mechanic. My guess is he got too happy with the air tool as most mechanics do.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 08:18 AM   #8
Blancofire
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4deyoulook View Post
UPDATE: So the valve gasket ended up being incorrectly installed by the mechanic. My guess is he got too happy with the air tool as most mechanics do.
What was the cost to replace the gasket?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 02:11 AM   #9
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4deyoulook View Post
Or could have been that mechanic inadvertently laid the gasket down incorrectly. The vcg's on modern cars often call for no gasket sealant, but without that the mechanic is tasked with holding the gasket in the vc while placing onto the head.
That teamed with tight clearances in these engine bays, weird install angles, and hoses and things in the way, can lead to install errors, and oil free to leak like a sieve.
When I first got my daily driver A3 it had an oil leak from the valve cover. Upon removal of the cover noticed a spot on the head and cover where the gasket had been pinched in a weird way, thus the leak. New correctly installed gasket fixed the leak 100%
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 09:30 AM   #10
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I’ve gone this job on various BMWs several times.

This valve cover can be stuck down pretty good. IF you somehow miss removing a bolt AND you start tugging on the cover thinking it’s just stuck down, you can create a hairline crack in the cover. This might happen if you DO remove all the bolts and get a bit aggressive in freeing the stuck cover.

Not saying that’s the case here, but if you get a leak that a new gasket doesn’t repair, be sure and check the cover for cracks.
Appreciate 0