EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-15-2020, 07:53 PM   #1
Beemerm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW m3

Amazing work this guy has. Replacing a new crank hub.

a good video from start to finish on how he replaced a crank hub and installed a CBC.
does anyone know what filter he installed on?
I don't know what he's saying but wonder what happen to the old crank hub. looks like it had a CBC on it too.

Last edited by Beemerm3; 02-15-2020 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2020, 07:21 PM   #2
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Bit lost why they opted just to replace with oem and a CBC when they went through all the effort. I'm assuming factory spun hence the video.

The first part of the video must be from another car where some how the belt slipped and ripped the balancer off.
      02-17-2020, 04:53 AM   #3
cheveux
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
Bit lost why they opted just to replace with oem and a CBC when they went through all the effort. I'm assuming factory spun hence the video.

The first part of the video must be from another car where some how the belt slipped and ripped the balancer off.

A lot of people think the OEM hub is good and that its design acts like a fuse, and that the spin never results in catastrophic damage, and they also think that they fail only because the screw loosens, so they prefer to put the OEM hub, tight it a little mor than oem spec and put a cbc

In the first part he is telling that the owner of the car bought a bad quality cbc from ebay, i think
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 06:48 AM   #4
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

cheveux yeah i get the first part as there is no confirmed cases with just a cbc. Just saying if you are there a new hub is trivial. But hey everyone has their reasons.

The munched cbc looks like the burkhart one however would be great to understand why the bolts have sheared.

The Aulitzky cbc looks like the H2M one with oem style bolts however theirs have washers unlike H2M. I suspect this is because they could not find the right length of bolt so needed a washer. H2M on another post wouldn't disclose where they get the bolts from.

I understand zero german so if anyone can provide some translation to the failed unit in the beginning that would be great.
      02-17-2020, 08:53 AM   #5
cheveux
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
cheveux yeah i get the first part as there is no confirmed cases with just a cbc. Just saying if you are there a new hub is trivial. But hey everyone has their reasons.

The munched cbc looks like the burkhart one however would be great to understand why the bolts have sheared.

The Aulitzky cbc looks like the H2M one with oem style bolts however theirs have washers unlike H2M. I suspect this is because they could not find the right length of bolt so needed a washer. H2M on another post wouldn't disclose where they get the bolts from.

I understand zero german so if anyone can provide some translation to the failed unit in the beginning that would be great.

I just bought the Burkhart cbc last week and i immediately thought that the one in the video was theirs. Even the bolts are equal, has you saw on my thread from last week

Pics again:

But then I spoke with them on Instagram to ask if the cbc on the video was theirs. They said no because their cbc is made of Alu7075.
To be fair the bolts that i recieved are fairly heavy. They seem resistant.
I don't know what to do now

Despite that, and about the video, there are quite a few points that I find interesting. All the screws of the old cbc were pulled to the left side, and this is visible by the marks. Could the balancer be the cause of the loosening of the crank bolt when there is a sudden change of rpm or torque, and since the screw was captured, it did not loosen, but what broke was the first fragile thing in the whole capture system, in this case the smaller screws?

So the cbc did its job, and the rotation or counter-rotation did not cause the crank bolt to untighten. If the small cbc screws were more resistant, nothing had happened.

In addition, about the hub, I honestly think it makes sense to use the OEM. I really think it works like a fuse.

Regarding the crank hub solutions that exist on the market, can I say that all those need something that capture the bolt?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 10:55 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for sharing

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 12:11 PM   #7
Beemerm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW m3

My bolts look the same as urs. I got it from vtt.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 08:57 PM   #8
JayKno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1679594
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 04:20 AM   #9
cheveux
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKno View Post

The splines of the VTT v1 hub slipped, not the cbc
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 01:16 AM   #10