European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-13-2020, 11:51 AM   #1
c4ss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 BMW M3 ZCP 6MT

Thumbs up Engine Rattle (Solved)

Hoping this will help someone as this rattle has been eluding me for months on end.

Car is a MY18 F80 M3 6MT Competition running Stage 2 Bootmod custom Cary tune. VRSF downpipes, ER chargepipes, SSR intakes. I've had this vibration driving me crazy for months on takeoff through 1st and into 2nd. It wasn't super noticeable, but if you didn't have music on you would hear it.

So I had recently upgraded the chargepipes in the last 6 months, and as I'm sure some people have noticed, the engine cover no longer fits correctly. Took a dremel to modify it so that it fit better around the more anterior chargepipe (top and bottom), and just like that the vibration is gone. See photos:

TL;DR: if you have an annoying rattle and aftermarket chargepipes, consider modifying the engine cover
Attached Images

Last edited by c4ss; 02-13-2020 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 2
Redacre369.00
HotRodM4685.50
      07-05-2022, 07:41 PM   #2
HotRodM4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4ss View Post
Hoping this will help someone as this rattle has been eluding me for months on end.

Car is a MY18 F80 M3 6MT Competition running Stage 2 Bootmod custom Cary tune. VRSF downpipes, ER chargepipes, SSR intakes. I've had this vibration driving me crazy for months on takeoff through 1st and into 2nd. It wasn't super noticeable, but if you didn't have music on you would hear it.

So I had recently upgraded the chargepipes in the last 6 months, and as I'm sure some people have noticed, the engine cover no longer fits correctly. Took a dremel to modify it so that it fit better around the more anterior chargepipe (top and bottom), and just like that the vibration is gone. See photos:

TL;DR: if you have an annoying rattle and aftermarket chargepipes, consider modifying the engine cover
This literally just happened to me after installing ER chargepipes the other day. I noticed the rattle when I'm on throttle with music low/off. I know my engine cover doesn't sit flush anymore. I'll try your solution.

Edit: the chargepipe was rubbing against my intake airbox. Took out the airbox housing for now and just left the cone. No rubbing and my engine cover fits now 🤷🏽*♂️ May cut that part of the airbox later or leave it as is for now.

Before and after removing airbox
Attached Images

Last edited by HotRodM4; 07-07-2022 at 08:02 PM..
Appreciate 0