proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-14-2022, 05:56 PM   #67
Habs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3 ZCP, Mexico Blue

I have the same problem under similar rpm range. I have a 17' zcp and I installed the M performance exhaust a few months after buying the car new. Noise started after the MPE upgrade so I thought it was related to the exhaust. The carbon fiber tips on the MPE tend to loosen over time and do create a very annoying rattle. That did occur on my car, so every time I went to the dealer for service, I asked them to check the MPE thinking all my issues came from there. Every time they assured me everything was fine and it was just the tips that needed tightening. It did eliminate part the noise (the one coming from the MPE tips) but never completely. This went back and forth for almost 4 years.

In April 21' my warranty/service package was up so I took the car to an independent garage for oil change and asked them to take a look. They called me back an hour later with the wastegate actuator diagnostic. The only way to fix it is to replace the turbos. Being two months out of warranty they said I should talk to BMW since the issue was known from year one. I even have service records from the dealership stating "customer complaining of rattle noise from engine or exhaust." You know what BMW NA said? no warranty repair! dealer wants 10K to replace turbos with new stock ones. Annoying...Best option right now is endure the noise or if you want to spend the money ->Stage II tune with Pure Turbos and crankshaft upgrade, for probably just a little over 11k.

Last edited by Habs; 07-14-2022 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 04:59 PM   #68
Stollywood
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Im almost sure mine is the wastegate issue from what I’ve heard, read and watched. The dealer said the first time it went in about two weeks after I bought the car that the turbos are fully functioning and in tolerance so would not do anything about the sound I complained about on the cold start. But since the warmer weather here in the UK and driving with the windows down Ive noticed it on deceleration between 1800-1000rpm and it sounds awful. Apart from this the car is great and goes like stink. Its a shame. Its booked back in Tuesday and I’m gonna give the dealer some grief and see where/what I can get sorted.
Appreciate 2
      07-18-2022, 08:24 AM   #69
Shubacca
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E36/7 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokoz View Post

Thought this video might be of interest to some of this thread
I'm replacing these parts this week or next and will report back.

OEM p/n: (hyperlinks take you to FCP or ECS for parts)

Flange (1) - 18327850430
Double Opening Gasket (1) - 18307848046
Crush Gasket (2) - 18307851168
ISA Screw (2) - 07129905867
Copper Collar Nut (4) - 18307597650

Total cost ~$110 w/ free shipping from FCP and ECS.
Appreciate 2
Habs86.50
      07-19-2022, 03:28 AM   #70
Stollywood
United Kingdom
Rep

Well its in the dealers now. Went out with a mechanic and he was all over it straight away. Said that its not supposed to be like that and told the service manager the same. So at least they have admitted there is a fault. See what happens…
Appreciate 1
Habs86.50
      07-19-2022, 10:48 AM   #71
Stollywood
United Kingdom
Rep

Just got the car back and they said it’s the secondary cats that has broken down and it needs a new centre section. Booked in for Monday to have it done. Hopefully that fixes it…
Appreciate 2
Habs86.50
      07-19-2022, 02:18 PM   #72
alpinewhitef80mthree
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 (2015)

Hey guys,
The wastegates on my F80 won't open and close as intended. I have brand new actuators as an initial scan pointed to them being an issue. However even after changing them, I am stuck with the following errors

123401: Electric wastegate, learning limit position, cold start: Malfunction
123402 : Electric wastegate 2 , learning limit poisition, cold start : Malfunction
123421 Electric wastegate, learning limit stop : Start position (wastegate open) not found
123422 Electric wastegate, learning limit stop : Start position (wastegate closed) not found
123424 Electric wastegate 2 , learning limit position : start position (wastegate closed)
123432 Electric wastegate , learning limit stop : stop position (wastegate closed) outside tolerance

I'm running a stage 3 Mosselman tune with a Pure Stage 2 turbo setup and some cooling mods+ crankhub . The turbos seem to be fine as we have checked them manually and the linkages have been checked and have been installed as per ISTA

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 03:58 PM   #73
Stollywood
United Kingdom
Rep

Just to let you guys know that still have a rattle, mine was the secondary cats and replacing the whole centre section solved the issue!! Good luck 👌🏻
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2022, 03:25 PM   #74
Shubacca
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubacca View Post

Flange (1) - 18327850430

I did this today and spent some time on the long OEM down pipe heat shield.

The crush gaskets that were on there were unrecognizable and barely present to do their job - needed to be done. The nuts and bolt that have been on there since production were also horribly corroded. I was glad to replace every component of that section and would recommend that to anyone else who does it.

The OEM heat shield makes a tinny rattle when stimulated with a mallet, so I decided to see why. There was road debris in there and it was touching the pipe in areas. I wanted to remove it and replace with some titanium heat wrap I bought, but I did not have enough time to pull the DPs off to wrap them and you can't do it with them on.

First impression driving after - the rattle I thought was coming from the wastegates is gone. I can not produce a rattle between 1500-2000 no matter what I do with gear and load demand. It was so noticeable before I would try and drive in a way to avoid that range. Seems I've fixed my rattle. Hopefully different conditions don't bring it back.
Appreciate 2
Habs86.50
      07-30-2022, 06:46 PM   #75
MetzgerMeister
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Just a bit of input here guys - I had an e92 335i a number of years ago which was plagued with wastegate rattle in both turbos. This rattle is the same sound as a ratchet. It’s there at idle and it increases in speed and volume with revs (the car doesn’t have to be under load). If you open the hood and listen for this on the passenger side where the turbos are located while
Someone revs the car you’ll be able to tell very wuicjly if it’s the wastegates or not.
Appreciate 1
Habs86.50
      07-31-2022, 04:53 AM   #76
billypopo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i GC, glacier silver

Quote:
Quote:

Flange (1) - 18327850430

The crush gaskets that were on there were unrecognizable and barely present to do their job - needed to be done. The nuts and bolt that have been on there since production were also horribly corroded. I was glad to replace every component of that section and would recommend that to anyone else who does it.

The OEM heat shield makes a tinny rattle when stimulated with a mallet, so I decided to see why. There was road debris in there and it was touching the pipe in areas. I wanted to remove it and replace with some titanium heat wrap I bought, but I did not have enough time to pull the DPs off to wrap them and you can't do it with them on.

First impression driving after - the rattle I thought was coming from the wastegates is gone. I can not produce a rattle between 1500-2000 no matter what I do with gear and load demand. It was so noticeable before I would try and drive in a way to avoid that range. Seems I've fixed my rattle. Hopefully different conditions don't bring it back.
Awesome, thanks for trying this out and listing all the required parts! I'm ordering everything on Monday for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 07:55 PM   #77
blumagic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xdrive , 2013 SHO

Quote:

Good to know, I cut out the secondary cats and welded a straight section and it did nothing for the rattle.

I tried to do the gaskets but rounded off the top nut FML. Just got the tool today to hopefully remove it without destroying the threads

If all else fails I may just change the connection to v-band… idk why couldn’t they just use v band from the factory like the n26 instead
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 08:02 PM   #78
Shubacca
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumagic View Post
Good to know, I cut out the secondary cats and welded a straight section and it did nothing for the rattle.

I tried to do the gaskets but rounded off the top nut FML. Just got the tool today to hopefully remove it without destroying the threads

If all else fails I may just change the connection to v-band… idk why couldn’t they just use v band from the factory like the n26 instead
Yea those nuts and bolts are a nightmare of rust. I too wish there was another way. I'd assume they made it with studs and nuts because of those crush gaskets. Guess those wouldn't be needed with a v-band connection.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 12:01 AM   #79
billypopo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i GC, glacier silver

Alright so, I replaced the mid-pipe with a AA single mid-pipe and replaced at the same time all the hardware between the DP's and the mid-pipe. Guess what, the rattle is goooone 😇💆*♂️!

Now the bad part is i'll never know if it was as simple as the hardware, or if the mid-pipe had something to do with it..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 06:00 PM   #80
Habs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3 ZCP, Mexico Blue

Quote:
Quote:

Flange (1) - 18327850430

I am a bit late on this reply but that's good to hear. While I've been enduring this rattle, my MPE developed a small crack which added another rattle noise. I replaced the MPE with an Akrapovic exhaust and also changed the midpipe.

All noises seemed to be gone for now. The Akra exhaust sounds fantastic btw. Better than the MPE in my opinion. Not as loud, but richer, deeper note.

All this to say that my issue could also have been in part due bad seals between the midpipe and downpipe.
Shubacca121.50
      09-27-2022, 02:47 PM   #81
blumagic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xdrive , 2013 SHO

Update on mine, just got back from the shop, installed VRSF midpipe with all new everything at the downpipe.

I backed into my driveway without the embarrassing rattle for the first time in probably a year.

So satisfying
Appreciate 3
Habs86.50
      10-30-2022, 12:52 PM   #82
Dotframe
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I finally got around to changing out the gaskets Shubacca listed (my car is '18 F82 ZCP bone stock 21k miles)

My factory ones looked in good shape, but one didn't seem as tight as I would have expected it to be. Also, while I was in there I bent a few parts of the downpipe heat shield that seemed like it might rattle.

The job was kind of a pain in the ass without a lift. I had to drop the whole exhaust and had to spend time cleaning out the old donut gaskets.

After a test drive I can confidently say that my rattle is completely gone! At least for now. I would always get the rattle at 1500-1750 RPM under load without fail, after the car is hot.

I cannot make it rattle even after trying quite a bit.

Honestly can't say if it was the downpipe heat shield or the gaskets, but I'm so happy to be able to drive around at low speed without that embarrassing rattle!
Appreciate 2
      01-23-2024, 03:03 AM   #83
dzxf8xcomp
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition F80

Hi parky1215

Did you ever get to the bottom of this noise? It's exactly the same as what I'm experiencing.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 09:54 PM   #84
CrazyFlame
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4

Quote:

Hey nice work. Forgive my ignorance, but would replacing the stock exhaust with the MPE fix the issue as a side effect? I think not.

FYI for anyone else reading this thread:
I have a 2020 M4 ZCP with ~17k miles and started noticing this noise a few thousand miles ago. It's completely stock except for cosmetic changes. I only hear the noise with the windows down, engine warm, low RPMs, medium load. Same as everyone else it seems.

Last edited by CrazyFlame; 02-15-2024 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 0