EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-22-2024, 10:07 PM   #1
LandonLiftz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2018

Question Worst Sounding M4 (HELP)

So lets start with whats been done to the car, Valves Pulled (forced open), and Secondary Cat removal with straight pipe, and Resonator Delete with X Pipe (pretty sure it was X pipe). Well I'll let the sound clips speak for themselves I attached one from my perspective in the car reving to around 5k RPMS, and one from me pulling off. Now the car sounds pretty good to me some times I love it windows down and just let it rip. But also im not stupid it does sound like a fart can 9/10 times which now I know I went with the cheapest possible options all around for exhaust, im 20 years old, and dont have 3k for a exhaust system. So with that out the way lets talk about how I plan to fix this, and what I want and whats important
Sound Volume: Very important never really had a loud car that rips down the road, I want that would prefer to be the same or if not significantly louder then my current exhaust.
Drone: I dont see why people hate drone I actually enjoy it a bit if I dont want to hear it i turn my music up halfway and its gone so I could care less.
Overall Sound: I do want it to have more of a deep sound and make it sound less like a tin cam.
Solutions: Right now my main fix for this is to buy a ARM resonated Downpipe
That video i feel is kind of similar to how I expect my car to sound after which im happy with sounds a little deeper, and a little louder.
Midpipe and Downpipe: Or I could swap to the classic equal lentgh setup and a basic vrsf catless dp, or the arm resonated and see what we get, but again this will cost around 1.7k which Id rather not spend right now.
So what are your guys thoughts after hearing my setup is it fine? Is it complete shit? Does it sound good? Let me know your thought and if anyone has a setup similar to mine straight pipe + resonated DP please send videos.
https://streamable.com/kxgo5m
https://streamable.com/wvxopo
Appreciate 1
Jbrown74032643.50
      01-22-2024, 10:09 PM   #2
LandonLiftz
Private
United_States
Rep

My setup is the streamable links at the bottom So to sum it up would the ARM Resonated downpipe benefit my current exhaust system by making it a little louder and give more tone.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 12:18 AM   #3
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Sounds like just about every UEL F8X w/ a down pipe. If you want a change in tone then you will need to go EL. If you want to reduce rasp you should put your primary cats back on and start adding back resonators until rasp is where you want it.
TimmyM56241.50
M_Torx328.00
      01-23-2024, 06:56 AM   #4
Sephrr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Probably do the single midpipe, fine someone selling it here. Or hear me out, since you are young, just save up money for the exhaust. You gotta pay to play pimp. Not in a civic anymore where you get cheap parts
Appreciate 2
      01-23-2024, 07:28 AM   #5
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

ah fellow f8x owner your car will never sound the way you want it to and its a snorty pig.

do not make it louder, single mid-pipe and a quailty axleback
Appreciate 2
M_Torx328.00
      01-23-2024, 10:15 AM   #6
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Single mid is what you want. Look at mad and vsrf for budget friendly options.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2024, 11:07 AM   #7
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Agree with the single mid-pipe recommendations. I have stock DPs, AA single mid-pipe and AA three-can muffler. It’s loud but not too loud and it’s smooth sounding for a S55.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2024, 05:22 PM   #8
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

Consider these downpipe options

Similar volume to catless with less rasp.
Resonated Downpipe - https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-s55-reson...-flex-section/

Less volume and less rasp
Catted Downpipe- https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-s55-catte...-flex-section/

Single Midpipe- https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-f8x-m3-m4...race-included/

Last edited by Info@mad-us.com; 02-01-2024 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2024, 05:45 PM   #9
DeTh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
I have Catless Downpipes, AA Resonated Single Mid, and MPE Muffler. I think it's the best setup.

You can get a similiar setup without the MPE Muffler and it will sound close to as good. If you get resonated downpipes, you can get the VRSF non-resonated mid for wayyy cheaper than it's AA resonated counterpart.
      02-18-2024, 09:52 PM   #10
LandonLiftz
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeTh View Post
I have Catless Downpipes, AA Resonated Single Mid, and MPE Muffler. I think it's the best setup.

You can get a similiar setup without the MPE Muffler and it will sound close to as good. If you get resonated downpipes, you can get the VRSF non-resonated mid for wayyy cheaper than it's AA resonated counterpart.
Appreciate my man I’m about to get a resonated down pipe is a ue mid pipe much different then a resonator delete and secondary cat delete? Thought they were the same thing for the most part as it’s just metal pipe
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 08:30 AM   #11
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonLiftz View Post
Appreciate my man I’m about to get a resonated down pipe is a ue mid pipe much different then a resonator delete and secondary cat delete? Thought they were the same thing for the most part as it’s just metal pipe
Lots of posts if you search here that Resonator and secondary cat delete on stock exhaust doesn't sound good. A single mid that deletes both but uses a 3.5 inch pipe instead of duals is the way to go. Mad, vsrf or aa depending on your budget are all good choices.
Appreciate 0