Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

08-25-2021, 11:13 AM   #1
DeepseaX1
Rep
Drives: X1 sdrive28i, 435i gran coupe

Integral Audio SoundstageDSP Ultra Review

I recently purchased IA's full kit (including sub) after speaking with IA's owner, Kevin and had it installed by a Sound Innovations in Union City, CA (btw, loved Sound Innovations....super impressive, totally professional), and I could not be happier with the results.

My car came with the Hardon Karmon system, which is actually pretty decent on its own. IA's system is a major step up from HK.

The IA kit also came with a stealth trunk sub, which changes everything of course in a good way.

I'm not a techie so will do my best to accurately describe my experience. I've had custom systems in previous cars, so I'm not easily impressed, and if anything, I always skeptical of claims.

System power is ample and I wouldn't want any more, lots of volume room for everything, while remaining clear and undistorted.

All the songs I listened to, across genres, had a really nice balanced sound, incredible bass, awesome mids, and well-behaved highs (not shrill or overly present). Balanced yes, but you can clearly hear all the instruments and music lines. The separate bass control knob is awesome, and easy to adjust on the fly, although I haven't really found a need to do this, and do it more for just the experience of screwing with the bass on certain songs lol, and having fun.

When I switch from iphone streaming to radio to thumb drive, there's no need to adjust the volume which is an improvement over the factory HK system. Stuff sounds fantastic from my iphone and I don't feel the need to throw everything lossless on a thumb drive or car memory.

The kit does not replace the factory amp, but rather adds an additional amp, DSP and other "stuff" to process the signal post factory amp. This is a total win in my book, as the prior system I purchased for my BMW was an actual replacement and it screwed everything up, including the sound and balance.

I also love that IA's kit preserves the ability for you to continue to fully use the equalizer settings, fading, etc.

The trunk sub is stealth and fits inside the factory side pocket area in the trunk.

And yes, I get a bass massage in my chair. So satisfying, lol.

IA's SoundstageDSP Ultra is a truly tuned-for-your-BMW system, and I honestly can't think of anything I wish they'd done differently, or had more of. What a relief!
Appreciate 2
      08-26-2021, 08:02 PM   #2
Budget M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Agree these are a nice upgrade. I installed my own which, although time consuming, was not difficult at all. I found that with the rear seats folded down, the bass output was just right with the factory IA settings, but I had to adjust the gain on the amp a little in order to hear and feel the right amount of bass with the rear seats up. The front soundstage is nothing short of remarkable. I can now hear instruments and sounds that I never knew existed on some tracks!
'85 M635CSi Alpine w/buffalo; '03 M3 Conv, Imola
‘85 323i Baur; ‘02 X5 4.6is Estoril; ‘95 Racing Dynamics K30.4
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2021, 12:53 PM   #3
Kevin @ Integral Audio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i | Z3 2.8 | F30 328

DeepseaX1 and Budget M3 thank you for the kind words!

www.integralaudio.com
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 11:25 PM   #4
DCdistiller
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 convertible

New IA Soundstage F83 Install

I have been designing and installing my own and friends’ car stereo systems since around 1989. I spent quite a bit of my time at IASCA events in the 1990-1992 timeframe. My home systems are all carefully designed and tuned. And I have a degree in mechanical engineering. In short I’ve been around the block when it comes to cars and stereo upgrades.

So when I was thinking about upgrading the (really, truly, shockingly terrible) HK system in my new-to-me M4 Competition Convertible, I was constantly coming back to the complex integration work I knew would be required to meet my needs. That’s why I ended up reaching out to Kevin at Integral Audio.

The IA SoundstageDSP Ultra dropped in as advertised, minus the coupe sub/ enclosure (I use a JL 10" W3 sub in a sealed box) and some custom work on mounting the electronics (F82 and F83 have different trunk floor). Kevin personally answered all my questions over the weekend during the install.

Let me say that based on several hours of focused listening, I’m extremely satisfied with my purchase. Zero installation headaches. Completely stealth installation. Everything worked on the first try. And the sound is spectacular. Probably the biggest compliment I can give is that there is zero distinctiveness anywhere. Just pure, smooth, dynamic and uninterrupted sound. No harshness. No peaks or valleys. No “tinny” or “warm” or any other defining characteristics. Just music that sounds exactly as it was recorded. Like it sounds on my Grado headphones. Wow. All for less than the Morel component set I was planning to install.

I could not be happier with my purchase. Great product, equally great service. If you're considering upgrading an F8X model BMW, I can absolutely recommend IA's Soundstage DSP.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2021, 01:14 AM   #5
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Agree with your sentiments. I’ve had this kit for quite some time now and other than a connector coming loose (my fault) it’s been rock solid.
Since the amp is in the rear tub right on top of my exhaust, I was worried that the amp would overheat on long drives but I can tell you that going over 500 miles in searing 95+ degrees ambient, I’ve had no issues.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2021, 10:46 AM   #6
Kevin @ Integral Audio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i | Z3 2.8 | F30 328

DCdistiller and BzsBimmer - thanks guys!

www.integralaudio.com
Appreciate 0