Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-25-2018, 05:19 PM   #67
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
There is a difference between HK and HiFi on the setup in the car. It will be a difficult process to retrofit it back into your car, so it shouldn't be done.

The best that can come out of this is, BMW sends you the car you were supposed to get, exactly down to the letter and specs. Then allow you to drive the current one until that one comes to replace it.

Like I said, things like this (missing options, mistaken color, things missing) has happened before and it has been posted on the forums here. More likely than not when BMW realize it was on their end, mistake wise, they usually own up to it and just replace the car. Some I believe, the dealership initiated the process first and just ate the cost just to make it easier.

Anyone else saying ANYTHING about law about this is 1, over their head as I doubt they would bring BMW to court over something as little as this. 2, way over thinking shit and just doing it as an argument point.

Let your friends at the dealership sort it out, keep asking them how things are and then go from there. Slowly escalate it if nothing happens. Step by step.
I agree that an an amicable resolution is the best course of action. However, knowing that the law is on your side does help with the negotiation and to know what you are entitled to.
I agree I probably jumped the gun regarding the law part as I only skimmed (my fault) the initial front page but my general idea stood.

You are not supposed to get HiFi over HK. That isn't supposed to be possible now. That was my point to the other two ppl posted below me. Regardless how OP got his car, it was built wrong and misrepresented. That was someone's fault not OP who purchased it. A standard equipment that isn't supposed to be removed was somehow removed.

I'm glad BMW admitted to the mistake but it now depends on how OP wants things. Putting aftermarket into his car still takes a lot of removing of interior stuff. Removing of his inner door panels, floors (for subwoofers) is going to be a hassle.
minn1914049.50
CanAutM321121.00
      09-25-2018, 07:26 PM   #68
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by babamike View Post
I sent email to musicar for estimate on what system can be installed in my car.
Also waiting for estimate from local guys for Bavsound.

SA said only mineral white with SO and mineral grey with SO available in stock Canada wide.

I'm not going to give up my SMB for these colours lol

They are waiting for audio update quotes before deciding what's more feasible.

Thanks again everyone for your input on this matter.
Look, if they will cover an aftermarket sound system that is better than the HK system*, and include that in the warranty that's a win win in my book.

*I personally don't hate the HK sound system. I don't love it as it lacks clarity - but the system seems like a decent start.

and

Does the HiFi sound system have a different amp? Cause that is going to be the real issue - rumor has it that needs to be swapped out (even on the HK) to really make things better.

and....

Like I said, no matter what -the WORST case would be them denying a warranty claim in two years (Battery? Electrical system?) due to the "aftermarket" sound system. So... I would just make sure that is covered....

oh and if the amps are the same, just get the bavsound speakers and be done with it
Appreciate 2
minn1914049.50
      09-25-2018, 07:49 PM   #69
babamike
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Cab

The quote for BevSound is about $4700 CDN installed.
Includes
Stage one speakers
All the flange, wiring and hardware etc
Amp
Subwoofer but only one, I thought there should be 2 ?

Still waiting for musicar quote.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 03:14 AM   #70
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
The quote for BevSound is about $4700 CDN installed.
Includes
Stage one speakers
All the flange, wiring and hardware etc
Amp
Subwoofer but only one, I thought there should be 2 ?

Still waiting for musicar quote.

$4700 for BavSound

HiFi Amp sucks worse than HK.

Bass is non directional (at least to humans) so only 1 is technically needed.

However, as you have ragtop, it will need all the help it can get, especially when top is down. However, I am unaware of any dual aftermarket subs for the BMW.

And the “woofers” under the seat are not subwoofers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
it totally is, I'm no audiophile. but when u got a tune,remus+aa+valve controller; i guess your speakers shouldn't fight it

It just lacks punch in the bass, and I have the ghost subs....the second u even get to a decent amount of bass, the vocals and all other shit distort
ghost “subs” is subs in marketing only.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 09-27-2018 at 03:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2018, 06:56 PM   #71
babamike
Private
Canada
Rep

Dealership said they will upgrade the sound but not using BAVSound but something else. Their radio expert assured the system hes thinking is way better.
He said they will be using https://www.soundsgoodauto.com/

Does anyone have any input on these guys?

I told them to send me details of what exactly they are thinking installing before I can decide.

SA advising me to keep HiFi system and let BMW compensate with $$ instead. He doesn't recommend taking interior apart on new car.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 09:00 PM   #72
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Dealership said they will upgrade the sound but not using BAVSound but something else. Their radio expert assured the system hes thinking is way better.

I told them to send me details of what exactly they are thinking installing before I can decide.

SA advising me to keep HiFi system and let BMW compensate with $$ instead. He doesn't recommend taking interior apart on new car.
Walk man. Plenty of cars out there. It's not worth it. Get what you ordered or walk IMO.
      09-27-2018, 10:45 PM   #73
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
If you don't care about the sound of the stereo, then do it. Otherwise, no amount of money can really make up for the disappointment you will have each and every time you drive the car and turn on the stereo. Sounds trivial, but it will wear on you. Trust me - I know
Appreciate 2
Ghosn463.50
      09-27-2018, 11:54 PM   #74
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:

Your SA isn't wrong and that is partly why I hesitate to do audio like BavSound.

They really do have to remove a lot of your interior panels to install it. If you don't care as much about it then feel free, otherwise don't if you worry about things being put back wrong or improperly.
      09-28-2018, 12:02 AM   #75
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

This is a tough one. I'd probably take the cash and invest it. You can always upgrade the speakers later.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2018, 12:28 AM   #76
m_michael
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F80 M3

Chipping in. I settled for a car with the HiFi system when shopping recently, it happened to the be the lowest mile, best condition 2015 M3 I could find. After a month, I just wasn't that happy with the system.. but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Checkout this thread: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1529898 and this: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1182351

The HiFi speakers seem to be pretty decent, amp totally sucks. Simply upgrading to the BimmerTech amp made a night and day difference.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2018, 01:18 AM   #77
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
UPDATE

Just got a call from customer relation manager.
She said BMW has acknowledged this car is a mis-built and she's looking for options to keep me in that car.
Retrofit is NOT possible
She asked if I be ok with getting aftermarket sound system put in.
I told her I heard about musicar but not sure if we can order the parts and install here.
She said someone with stereo knowledge will get back to me.

Again nothing has decided yet. I guess the ball is in my court. Honestly I love the Color of this smb and it's not available anymore in 2018 stock.

So there we have it now the next step.
I have a full blown musicar system in my M3 w/ subwoofer. It is EXCELLENT. Massively better than stock, HK, or even basic speaker replacements like Bavsound. Nothing beats a full stereo system w/ DSP, time alignment, upgraded speakers all around massive increase in clean power and a hard hitting tight subwoofer that takes up virtually no trunk space.

Best thing is, their systems are totally plug and play w/ harnesses. No need to cut any wires. However, professional installation is recommended unless you are comfortable removing trim panels, routing wires, etc.

I agree w/ those who say this is a blessing in disguise as it is much easier to ugrade a basic stereo vs. HK. If you had the HK, you'd have to code it back to 4 channel basic in order to install an aftermarket system.

Give musicar a call or email them. They will give you extremely detailed feedback on what they can and can't do and all of your various options tailored to your specific tastes in music and your budget.
Appreciate 2
IK6SPEED4490.00
minn1914049.50
      09-28-2018, 02:27 AM   #78
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

soundsgoidauto is simply an installer.

Literally anyone can install a system (an over simplification, but whatever).

What they are installing is more important, followed by being able to tune the system.

You have a M4 Covertible. Do it right or don’t do it at all. And as posted above, that, or doing it with substandard equipment, will mean you just build resentment and sell the car sooner instead of later.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 02:25 PM   #79
Fortyb
M-GAM3
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Quote:

What's the big deal with having the dealer taking apart the interior on a new car. Its held on by clips that if broken are easily replaceable. I took apart my Dash on my 2016 and put it back together with no issue.. It's not like we are driving around in a Bentley are a Rolls.
      09-28-2018, 03:13 PM   #80
PK1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

The key decision you need to make is whether you'll be comfortable with someone installing an aftermarket system in your car (a good installer would do this in such a way that you'd never know the panels were removed), but you need to be comfortable with this process. Only you can make this decision.

If the answer to the above is yes, and as you mentioned, then wait to get the details of the system they're proposing, then research the performance of the system and price and see if there's a need to negotiate for something better.

If the answer is no, then go negotiate a new car as you had ordered. I'd suspected you'd have more difficulty doing that, but you could also use this as leverage to get a better aftermarket system.

If you said this somewhere I missed it: I'm assuming this is a purchased or financed car and not leased, correct?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 03:39 PM   #81
babamike
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK1 View Post

If you said this somewhere I missed it: I'm assuming this is a purchased or financed car and not leased, correct?
It's a lease.

I'm still waiting for their details,

Ideal thing would be get another same Car/Color.

Otherwise see how much $$ BMW is willing to compensate (I can get system put in later)

Last resort is getting system upgraded with a proper one.

Another question for people who got aftermarket system. Is there a way to adjust the sound since there's no equalizer on iDrive ?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 06:04 PM   #82
babamike
Private
Canada
Rep

Dealer finally got a quote for me just replacing front speakers, subs and amp using following items:
Match MS-8BMW-8
Match MS 42C-BMW-2
Focal FD 2.350 (2 amps)

I feel like the whole system should be upgraded like BAVSOUND or Audison instead of mix-match.

What do you guys think, which one would you recommend?

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 07:32 PM   #83
nickl630
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3CS, 09 GTR

I've never been a fan of hacking up/modifying the sound systems on these cars. Id either live with the reimbursement BMW provides or return/get out of the car.

Get the car YOU wanted and ordered. Not having them throw parts into it and hacking up harnesses to make it sound decent. Maybe it'll vibrate more. Maybe it'll break or be prone to failure. Will BMW warranty it. No thanks. Just my two cents.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2018, 07:38 PM   #84
babamike
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickl630 View Post
I've never been a fan of hacking up/modifying the sound systems on these cars. Id either live with the reimbursement BMW provides or return/get out of the car.
I completely agree with you but this is the process I need to go through so we can see how much $$ BMW needs to compensate.

Like i said before upgrading is the last choice but If i do I will ask for extended warranty on the car as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 11:59 PM   #85
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I completely agree with you but this is the process I need to go through so we can see how much $$ BMW needs to compensate.

Like i said before upgrading is the last choice but If i do I will ask for extended warranty on the car as well.
Looks like about $1300 retail (which they are not paying) based on the parts you have listed above.

And there is no EQ in what you have listed that would work with iDrive.

I sure wouldn’t take that deal.

And BavSound isn’t going to be much better in a vert.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2018, 06:04 AM   #86
PK1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Not a good deal, I wouldn't take it.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 07:25 AM   #87
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:

You should have kept the money, Toombs... -Riddick
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 08:54 PM   #88
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Might also want to read this thread.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1540719
Appreciate 0