Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

02-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #1
TurbodTurtle
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M4

Adding an additional USB port?

Has anyone found an ingenious way to mount a second usb port, ideally in the armrest or within reach of the rear seats?

I want it to look OEM as possible and so don't want a cigarette lighter plug in, or ideally not a usb splitter cable unless one port can be installed back into the OEM usb port holder

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

I think this might work:

https://mediablackout.net/products/u...t=232116879385

You could consult with them to see how to tap into your rear lighter, and what specs they would need to make it for you. You can then get a small USB extension cable, plug it into there, and put a tiny hole in your center armrest to feed it through and mount it. Everything else can be tucked inside and out of sight.

Personally, I'd just plug in a USB hub into the rear cigarette lighter and run a USB extension cable up the passenger side of the armrest. What you're looking to do just seems like a way over-engineered solution to a simple problem. But if it's useful enough to you, then who am I to judge?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #3
TurbodTurtle
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
I think this might work:

https://mediablackout.net/products/u...t=232116879385

You could consult with them to see how to tap into your rear lighter, and what specs they would need to make it for you. You can then get a small USB extension cable, plug it into there, and put a tiny hole in your center armrest to feed it through and mount it. Everything else can be tucked inside and out of sight.

Personally, I'd just plug in a USB hub into the rear cigarette lighter and run a USB extension cable up the passenger side of the armrest. What you're looking to do just seems like a way over-engineered solution to a simple problem. But if it's useful enough to you, then who am I to judge?
If I had a rear cig lighter I would tap into the power feed and run one of those bike USB's from it! But, I seem to be the only person without one : :

Hence, over engineering
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurbodTurtle View Post
If I had a rear cig lighter I would tap into the power feed and run one of those bike USB's from it! But, I seem to be the only person without one : :

Hence, over engineering
Foot in mouth. haha
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 03:08 PM   #5
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Seach for "glovebox USB" and "dash usb port".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurbodTurtle View Post
Has anyone found an ingenious way to mount a second usb port, ideally in the armrest or within reach of the rear seats?

I want it to look OEM as possible and so don't want a cigarette lighter plug in, or ideally not a usb splitter cable unless one port can be installed back into the OEM usb port holder

Appreciate 0