Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-24-2022, 08:38 PM   #89
CKP42027
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

any updates on this just hit 55k Miles squeaking started
@eurogruppe.ky
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 11:47 PM   #90
CKP42027
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

did you remove the springs inside ?
@eurogruppe.ky
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 02:30 PM   #91
F82keo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken1 View Post
I am now getting a p112f code has anyone else gotten this?
hey, i’m also getting this code after the fix, did you resolve it? & if so, what did you do? I keep clearing it but it always comes back next drive
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 03:34 PM   #92
chicken1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82keo View Post
hey, i’m also getting this code after the fix, did you resolve it? & if so, what did you do? I keep clearing it but it always comes back next drive
I ended up just replacing the valve cover
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 12:30 PM   #93
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F82keo View Post
I got this the first time I did the mod and it was due to a bad seal in my intake. I took it apart and put it back together and it went away. It could also be a vacuum line. This mod worked flawlessly for me until I blew the motor a few weeks ago (too much sauce on the stock internals).
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 04:04 AM   #94
Dabeamerking
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m4

Valve cover squeal easy fix. Get the repair kit ebay Amazon $20. Get cutters and snap off carefully the old valve one side without interrupting the inner piece of the valve cover that holds the valve onto the valve cover. Use a screwdriver to pry it out. Remove spring permanently. Gut new valve orange all off so all you see is black. Drill a few holes and glue back on. Take off heat shield temporarily for a few days under the charge pipes between CP and valve cover so you can drill extra holes if need be. Congrats. You might get the code that’s everyone else is looking doeirencing above but it’s fine
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 07:27 PM   #95
sul6anom3
Registered
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

I changed the valve cover and the other piece 7502023 , The whistling sound is gone, but when I open the oil cap, there is still a strong vacuum or SuctionHonestly, I was very disappointed after I changed the new cover and everything was new
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 07:38 PM   #96
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sul6anom3 View Post
I changed the valve cover and the other piece 7502023 , The whistling sound is gone, but when I open the oil cap, there is still a strong vacuum or SuctionHonestly, I was very disappointed after I changed the new cover and everything was new
That’s supposed to happen. Working as intended.
      12-26-2022, 05:49 PM   #97
sul6anom3
Registered
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn Mode View Post
That’s supposed to happen. Working as intended.

I compared it to two other cars, they do not have strong suction, and I returned the programming stock and checked with ista it twice, there is no error
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 09:02 AM   #98
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sul6anom3 View Post
I compared it to two other cars, they do not have strong suction, and I returned the programming stock and checked with ista it twice, there is no error
You could have a vacuum leak somewhere or an intake pipe not reinstalled properly. It's a pretty common thing when folks reassemble their cars after fixing their PCV. Unless you are getting a DME code or the car has a rough idle, I wouldn’t worry at all. What happens if someone hits the gas pedal while it’s open? Are you sure it’s actually suction? It sounds like a loud hissing noise but have you put a rag over it to validate it’s sucking vs blowing?

The stock PCV is designed to open and close but ultimately it’s protective core function is to vent excess pressure.

Last edited by slaughter.mode; 12-27-2022 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 05:05 AM   #99
BGut12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

just started getting this squeal the other day and this thread is extremely helpful. my question though also like someone stated, is the removal process the same as some videos i’m seeing on the N55 in which they use a dremel to cut the top into 4 pieces and then heat and pry off the plastic carefully? just want to know if it’s the same way for the S55 before i destroy something.

other than that, the main question i have is how are you just popping this cap off whenever you want and adding extra holes here and there? isn’t it supposed to be glued back on or does it just stay on tightly itself?

thanks for any help!
      01-01-2023, 03:11 PM   #100
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGut12 View Post
just started getting this squeal the other day and this thread is extremely helpful. my question though also like someone stated, is the removal process the same as some videos i’m seeing on the N55 in which they use a dremel to cut the top into 4 pieces and then heat and pry off the plastic carefully? just want to know if it’s the same way for the S55 before i destroy something.

other than that, the main question i have is how are you just popping this cap off whenever you want and adding extra holes here and there? isn’t it supposed to be glued back on or does it just stay on tightly itself?

thanks for any help!
I used a dremel and cut one side (carefully) and then popped it off. If you do that method you need the aftermarket/Amazon replacement cap. You can use a sealant if you want but I didn't, it fits snug and never pops off. The trim underneath the valve cover should keep it seated.
Appreciate 1
BGut12100.50
      01-01-2023, 03:26 PM   #101
BGut12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I used a dremel and cut one side (carefully) and then popped it off. If you do that method you need the aftermarket/Amazon replacement cap. You can use a sealant if you want but I didn't, it fits snug and never pops off. The trim underneath the valve cover should keep it seated.
ok thank you. i already ordered the replacement cap on amazon so i guess it doesn’t matter how i get it off. praying this method helps, but i also ordered a crankcase vent hose and the VAS to just do everything i can easily get my hands on at the same time.
      01-02-2023, 02:54 AM   #102
Dabeamerking
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
ok thank you. i already ordered the replacement cap on amazon so i guess it doesn’t matter how i get it off. praying this method helps, but i also ordered a crankcase vent hose and the VAS to just do everything i can easily get my hands on at the same time.
Waste of money buying a crankcase hose. Might as well buy the oil catch can at that point
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 10:47 PM   #103
BGut12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabeamerking View Post
Waste of money buying a crankcase hose. Might as well buy the oil catch can at that point
will probably do that thanks.
      01-03-2023, 10:52 PM   #104
BGut12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

so update: took off old cover and drilled the holes the same way as OP. put it on and seals pretty damn tight with no silicone or anything. will do a final update tomorrow once everything’s put back together, waiting on parts right now.

in the meantime, is it normal for there to be this much buildup/residue under the cap? (pic attached) i’m at 60k miles if that makes a difference.
Attached Images

01-04-2023, 01:38 AM   #105
Dabeamerking
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Yea everything is normal. Let us know what happens. But I end up just changing my valve cover regardless
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 09:35 AM   #106
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
so update: took off old cover and drilled the holes the same way as OP. put it on and seals pretty damn tight with no silicone or anything. will do a final update tomorrow once everything’s put back together, waiting on parts right now.

in the meantime, is it normal for there to be this much buildup/residue under the cap? (pic attached) i’m at 60k miles if that makes a difference.
I personally didn't have this much buildup in mine but I also run a oil catch can which captures this gunk. It isn't anything to be worried about.
Appreciate 1
BGut12100.50
      01-04-2023, 10:54 AM   #107
Dabeamerking
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I personally didn't have this much buildup in mine but I also run a oil catch can which captures this gunk. It isn't anything to be worried about.
Changed 100+ s55 valve covers. This oil buildup is normal as the oil spits up towards the valve cover to get into the camshaft and valves. Oil catch can absolutely will help this.
Appreciate 1
BGut12100.50
      01-04-2023, 05:45 PM   #108
BGut12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabeamerking View Post
Changed 100+ s55 valve covers. This oil buildup is normal as the oil spits up towards the valve cover to get into the camshaft and valves. Oil catch can absolutely will help this.
so i drilled 8 1/16th holes like i showed in the pictures. i put everything back together, replaced the VAS and the CCV hose, and went on a drive. unfortunately, it’s still there and just as prominent as it was before. no change in sound. even when i open the oil cap and rev it’s still there. normally when you open the oil cap and it goes away that’s definitely the PCV right? so if it’s still there what can it be, or do i just drill more holes? let me know what you guys recommend now, thanks.
      01-04-2023, 05:51 PM   #109
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
so i drilled 8 1/16th holes like i showed in the pictures. i put everything back together, replaced the VAS and the CCV hose, and went on a drive. unfortunately, it’s still there and just as prominent as it was before. no change in sound. even when i open the oil cap and rev it’s still there. normally when you open the oil cap and it goes away that’s definitely the PCV right? so if it’s still there what can it be, or do i just drill more holes? let me know what you guys recommend now, thanks.
Let’s back up. The first step you do to validate it is in fact the PCV that failed is open the oil filler cap while idling. If the loud squeal goes away it’s most likely the pcv that has failed and this fix will most likely do the trick. Did you do that before performing this fix?
      01-04-2023, 06:12 PM   #110
BGut12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Let’s back up. The first step you do to validate it is in fact the PCV that failed is open the oil filler cap while idling. If the loud squeal goes away it’s most likely the pcv that has failed and this fix will most likely do the trick. Did you do that before performing this fix?
i knew i should’ve just to check but i didn’t, just figured it sounds similar to everyone else’s and ran with it. i guess now i have that done in any case for the future. but anyways, now i really can’t figure it out. i looked around at all the hoses and connections and can’t find anything loose. i recorded another video to try and get exactly where the sounds coming from, which it seems like it’s coming from the front of the charge cooler and in between the valve cover, right in the middle. i also feel air pushing out at me from the front where i circled in the picture, is that normal? now i’m just thinking anything isn’t normal lol

the only other thing i noticed was one of my set screws that go into the meth bung in my charge pipe was gone, but is it possible that’s why it’s making that noise?
Attached Images