R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

11-24-2019, 01:09 PM   #1
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
S55 crank hub video

Interesting video on YouTube...

I had this happen to me about 6 weeks after I had the car (it was stock then) so now I'm out of warranty and Bootmod stage 2 keen for it not to happen again
Appreciate 1
SynTom48.00
      11-25-2019, 05:32 AM   #2
SynTom
IAM Roadsmart Fellow
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Coupé

Great video, on the M3 cutters people are talking about using the Litchfields fix. It's between £300 and £400 and secures bolts around the two gears on the crank hub while also covering the bolt itself so the whole unit has to move as one.

The only problem with fixes like this, Usually when the crank hub goes, in most cases timing slips ever so slightly so that car drives rough with a drivetrain malfunction. However with these fixes, if the crank hub does slip it'll usually result in total engine failure.

The Litchfields fix however does look promising so when the extended warranty expires I may consider it. However if money is no issue and you want maximum power, the maxPSI crank hub available on Kies Motorsports is bulletproof. The MaxPSI M4 is running stupid stupid power and there is yet to be a single incident of a MaxPSI crank hub failing I believe.

There are also surely some other great companies out there as well as the ones mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 02:50 AM   #3
HARSN
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn_Tom View Post
Great video, on the M3 cutters people are talking about using the Litchfields fix. It's between £300 and £400 and secures bolts around the two gears on the crank hub while also covering the bolt itself so the whole unit has to move as one.

The only problem with fixes like this, Usually when the crank hub goes, in most cases timing slips ever so slightly so that car drives rough with a drivetrain malfunction. However with these fixes, if the crank hub does slip it'll usually result in total engine failure.

The Litchfields fix however does look promising so when the extended warranty expires I may consider it. However if money is no issue and you want maximum power, the maxPSI crank hub available on Kies Motorsports is bulletproof. The MaxPSI M4 is running stupid stupid power and there is yet to be a single incident of a MaxPSI crank hub failing I believe.

There are also surely some other great companies out there as well as the ones mentioned.
When you say fixes like this, are you referring to the Litchfield one? Or the one in the video? Because as far as I was aware, the capture plate only stops the bolt loosening, however the hub can still slip with it, but it will slip as it normally would?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 09:15 AM   #4
SynTom
IAM Roadsmart Fellow
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARSN View Post
When you say fixes like this, are you referring to the Litchfield one? Or the one in the video? Because as far as I was aware, the capture plate only stops the bolt loosening, however the hub can still slip with it, but it will slip as it normally would?
I'm referencing any fix that involves using a plate to secure the bolt to the hub, this includes the cheaper Litchfields fix. They void the BMW warranty and some units, (not Litchfield) have been known to blow to bits under high pressure and take the front of the engine with them. They also increase the stress on the crank hub assembly by increasing the rotational inertia of the vibration damper which has been theorised as the key to the bolt backing out/hub slipping in the first place.

Regards,
Tom.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 07:58 AM   #5
apollo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 Sakhir Orange

In video he states "In many cases the valves end up hitting the pistons" Really? as far as I was aware this rarely happens, even on the video of his friends slipping there was no piston contact.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 09:12 AM   #6
Kuervers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C HS,6sp 16 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo View Post
In video he states "In many cases the valves end up hitting the pistons" Really? as far as I was aware this rarely happens, even on the video of his friends slipping there was no piston contact.
Almost every video on this subject is done by shops trying to create fear/business. If they say it rare for engine damage than majority ill just wait for the .05% chance its gonna happen
Appreciate 2
      12-09-2019, 09:21 AM   #7
SynTom
IAM Roadsmart Fellow
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuervers View Post
Quote:
Almost every video on this subject is done by shops trying to create fear/business. If they say it rare for engine damage than majority ill just wait for the .05% chance its gonna happen
Exactly!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #8
ghost.f82
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp

Quote:
I've only heard / seen two cars that this has happened to, and they weren't pretty! Mostly people do just have timing issues
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 01:00 PM   #9
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
And another one -
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 03:26 PM   #10
ghost.f82
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
And another one -
I watched a car with one of these fail at vmax
Appreciate 1
SynTom48.00
      12-20-2019, 10:54 AM   #11
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alijnclarke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
And another one -
The VTT spline lock fix failed? How much power was the car running?

I guess that leaves the Maximum PSI one as the outright best option?
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 02:15 PM   #12
HARSN
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alijnclarke View Post
What happened to the car when it failed? I assume it took the whole engine with it?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 06:04 PM   #13
ghost.f82
Private
Rep

He actually drove home in it!! Was fixed with a different (not sure on the brand) hub, very lucky. I know of another car (stock) that blew on a runway, that needed a new engine.

This guy was running unknown brand hybrids, roughly 550whp - so not insane power
Appreciate 1
SynTom48.00
      12-28-2019, 06:05 PM   #14
ghost.f82
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
The VTT spline lock fix failed? How much power was the car running?

I guess that leaves the Maximum PSI one as the outright best option?
I've tested maxpsi on mine very hard, had no trouble, so i'd recommend it. Also never heard any stories of theirs failing.
Appreciate 1
SynTom48.00