Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-08-2020, 07:18 AM   #1
M_Performance
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 N55

Camber Plates GC vs Millway

Hi folks,

I would appreciate some collective intelligence on this as I can't make up my mind.

Car is running on KW V3 and not tracked, just spirited driving so far. Track use could be added next year tho.

I wanted to add some camber plates over the winter and I am having a hard time picking.

Options that I have identified so far:

1) Ground Control Sport

2) Millway Street or Performance

I like that the GC plates have the option to adjust Caster individually, I am just wondering if that really has a big added benefit in real life.

So my question is - how do these options behave in regards to noise, vibration etc. and how good is the longevity on them? I do not intend to overhaul or replace every year tbh.

Could some good people chime in who ran the respective brands for a while now?

I am kinda leaning towards the Millway Street just because of Comfort aspect, but I also do not want to sacrifice performance, adjustability or longevity too much by going with PU vs uniball bearing setup.

Would be great to get some first hand feedback and opinions.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 08:52 AM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

The list of people that may have used both brands is probably pretty short...

I’m using GC camber plates on my F82 M4 and F22 240ix (as well as E92 M3). I’ve noticed no appreciable increase in NVH. Longevity hasn’t been an issue on the M4 - GC plates have been used for almost four years with MCS 2WR dampers. Caster adjustment is more useful for on-track performance (helps to stabilize the car) but it’ll also allow you to adjust the left and right front sides so they are equal on a street setup. I have no experience with Millway.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 09:23 AM   #3
M_Performance
Enlisted Member
Rep

Awesome, that's exactly the type of info and first hand experience I am looking for. I guess I'll leave this running a couple of days before I pull the trigger on one of the options.

It's also great to hear that the GC bearings seem to last. As far as I know they sell replacements in case but I just wanna avoid the hassle of having to pull them every 1 or 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 09:55 AM   #4
Redacre
6 Cylinders 3 Ways
Rep
Drives: M5, 911, Macan

Garage List
My GC camber plates developed annoying ticking/creaking noises after about 4000 miles including 2 track days. They were professionally installed and inspected. I'm keeping them on the car for one more track day and then switching out for a different brand.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 10:03 AM   #5
M_Performance
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redacre View Post
My GC camber plates developed annoying ticking/creaking noises after about 4000 miles including 2 track days. They were professionally installed and inspected. I'm keeping them on the car for one more track day and then switching out for a different brand.
Any idea what you will be going for? If my profile was mainly track I wouldn't even care for a PU bearing option, but for me it's mainly street.

Just wondering if PU will sacrifice performance vs monoball setup.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Also was looking at the Millway, and Vorshlag plates as well in comparison to the Ground control.

For the Millway options. Do they ask whether you need a 3 or 5 bolt or do their plates fit for both? Also, do their plates work with 60mm inner diameter springs? I don't see any options on their website but says it works with oem springs as well as 60mm.

Ground control has you specify what setup you are running.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 05:41 PM   #7
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
For the Millway options. Do they ask whether you need a 3 or 5 bolt or do their plates fit for both? Also, do their plates work with 60mm inner diameter springs? I don't see any options on their website but says it works with oem springs as well as 60mm.

Millway's default design has you transfer over the thrust bearing on the OE top mount/hat to their plate, and thus is set up for OE sized springs. They also offer adapter plates to go from OE to 60mm springs (about $50/set).

Ground control offers different adapters that sit on their included bearing depending on what size ID springs you want to run (buying adapters separately is about $50/set).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 01:16 AM   #8
tropicatango
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw f87 M2c hockenheim silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
Also was looking at the Millway, and Vorshlag plates as well in comparison to the Ground control.

Milway works with oem spring type

They also sell an adapter to convert the oem fitment type to coilover spring that you buy separately

So they fit every type of suspension
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 01:26 AM   #9
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

No issues with GC here. 20k miles with no clunking or noise.

I do think Vorshlag makes a better product. They also have much better customer support. GC can sometimes be rude over the phone IMO.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2020, 09:40 PM   #10
Mospeada
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M

millway street here, smooth and high quality. its cheaper too. wide range of adjustment available and works well with stock suspesion or MP HAS
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 06:56 AM   #11
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

In terms of the full range of camber adjustability, are the other companies' setups similar to GC, where you need to do some rearrangement of the adjustment bolts to cover the entire range of camber? GC calls this the "street" and "race" positions. I currently have GC's, I was in a low speed accident, and I think as a result something shifted on that side, such that to achieve the same negative camber on each front side, the driver vs. pass adjustment results in the top nut resting in somewhat different positions, and therefore one side needs the street bolt config, and the other the race. In the future, for track days I'd like to adjust on-the-fly to a pre-marked higher negative camber setting, but would love to not have to F around with the brace and bolts each time. The fundamental limitation is the clearance provided by the aluminum brace, so I presume this might be a common issue across brands.

Will also likely be upgrading to B16 Damptronic, and probably will bite the bullet and replace the camber plates to be on safe side. Maybe that alone will correct my issue.

Thx
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 06:21 PM   #12
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
In terms of the full range of camber adjustability, are the other companies' setups similar to GC, where you need to do some rearrangement of the adjustment bolts to cover the entire range of camber? GC calls this the "street" and "race" positions.
Millways don't require reconfiguring of anything to adjust across the range. Just loosen the slider bolts, and move the slider where you need to.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
jfritz271106.00
      10-14-2020, 06:45 AM   #13
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Millways don't require reconfiguring of anything to adjust across the range. Just loosen the slider bolts, and move the slider where you need to.
Thank you... if one has a modest drop, can you (or anyone) estimate the range of adjustable camber with these? If I could get somewhere from low -2's (for street) to low -3's (for track), without having to dink around with reconfiguring the bolts, that would be awesome.

A separate question for anyone: if my current setup is MPHAS + GC, and I want to move to B16 Damptronic + Millway, my understanding is I'd have to track down my old OEM top hats and transfer the upper bearing to the new kit? Is that right? Or maybe best just to order a fresh OEM set?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 06:27 PM   #14
Mospeada
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M

i'm not sure what size B16 uses but OEM top hat may not fit that? email millway, he'll reply to you very fast and knows what he's talking about. millway street you can get like 5 deg adjustment total. i'm at 3 deg for track and weekend driving (not a daily)
Appreciate 1
jfritz271106.00
      12-14-2020, 07:00 AM   #15
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera S

I'm moving to B16 Damptronics and would like to go with Milway instead of the GC plates.

If the OEM strut thrust bearing needs to be used, does anyone have the part number for this? I can't find it anywhere. I'd like to use a new one instead of one with nearly 20k miles on it.

Also any updated thoughts and/or experiences in comparing the Milway vs GC.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 08:01 PM   #16
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

I'm using TCKline with no issues (5 bolts) with Dinan springs set @ -3.5* camber.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0