proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

03-29-2020, 01:37 AM   #1
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
Covid19 + lockdown= decontaminated m4

Like many of you- I find myself during the last 10 days FINALLY handling major tasks and chores around the house that I simply just haven't had the time for. Sorting out clothes/shoes from my closet, cleaning my home office, consolidating and packing wedding gifts that have collected dust for 6 months... and MOST IMPORTANTLY-FINALLY giving my car the proper treatment and maintenance it deserves. Purchased new in September 2014- so almost 6 years exposed to the elements and wild. Always hand washed/waxed elsewhere, shamefully- not by me to this extent.

Car: 2015 M4 32,XXX miles

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  148.0 KB

Materials: Adams Polishes

The best customer service, the best products- I cant't say enough- those guys are great.

I've spent some time reading up on all the products and packages offered to see what was the best fit for me in product and price. I had these all delivered last week and went in.

Strip Wash: SUPER under-rated. This first stage of cleaning/soap really pulls off all that contaminated road dirt, soot, tree/berry/ bird shit etc. I used it again today on my Wife's car (white) and again, awesome to watch it work.

Foam Shampoo: Great- who doesn't love bubbles?

Wheel/Tire Cleaner Wheel Mitt & Brushes: A must. The brushes make the biggest difference. Each has its own purpose. I loved the brush that can reach into the exhaust as well.

Drying towels: I can't believe I used to use a shamy

Metal #2: I made the mistake of not following the instructions and reviews and not ordering the "Metal #1" as they work better together, and in proper order. I've got in on the way so I'll give the exhaust another try later in the week.

Wash Pad: Hell. Yes.

Visco Clay Bar: Time consuming, tedious, WORTH IT. I used a clay bar kit before about 15 years ago. I watched the DIY on youtube while holding the clay in my hand and went at it. Super easy. My car being almost 6 years old and having never been cleaned like this- it was a very satisfying feeling seeing the contamination come right out and be smooth and metallic like never before.

Hand Polish, Blue & Orange Applicator: Another awesome product. I used the orange (for rougher surfaces) on parts of the front bumper and hood. I think next time around I'll do the same on the carbon roof.
** Can anyone explain why the carbon fiber roof isn't as smooth as all the other MPerformance parts like mirrors, splitters and trunk lid? Those all feel like butter.

Americana Wax: Who doesn't love wax? Another awesome product.

Brilliant Glaze: Used this on my Wife's car today- Looking forward to using this on my next wash after having done everything else yesterday. Much easier and less labor intensive to apply and remove then waxing and WOW what a result.

Polish Mitt: Another SUPER under-rated item.

Black Trim Restorer: I was hesitant based on reviews: Went on easy. Time will tell I guess. I learned - a little goes A LONG way. **if anyone knows how to get this out of clothes- it would be appreciated**

Leather conditioner: Never done it before. Applied and left the car in the garage over night. The seats felt tight and smooth- like the first day we all took ownership.

Interior Detailer: No- Brainer.

Glass Cleaner: Another good one

All in all- A SOLID way to spend 10 hours during this quarantine. I also took my try at some photo touch ups.

Name:  Rear seat wide angle jpeg.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  211.2 KB

Name:  Rear tire.edit.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  164.1 KB

Name:  REAR.jpeg
Views: 944
Size:  163.7 KB

Name:  Roof_top drvr side.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  129.6 KB

Name:  STOP_START button edit .jpg
Views: 929
Size:  242.4 KB

Name:  TOP REAR PASSENGER .jpg
Views: 922
Size:  191.7 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  341.8 KB

Name:  Driver Seat angle 1 Editted (1).jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  289.0 KB

Name:  DRVR FRONT EDIT (1).jpg
Views: 930
Size:  271.8 KB

Name:  Drvr Qtr rear (1).jpg
Views: 954
Size:  224.1 KB

Name:  Font Passenger Qtr.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  345.9 KB

Name:  FRNT ELEV.jpeg
Views: 928
Size:  227.6 KB

Name:  Front bumper edit .jpg
Views: 932
Size:  157.1 KB

Name:  Hood Bump edit.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  148.2 KB

Name:  Hood paint close up.jpeg
Views: 930
Size:  137.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4665.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  155.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4666.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  205.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4667.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  178.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4670.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  147.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4671.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  162.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4673.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  184.1 KB

Name:  REAR PASSENGER (1).jpg
Views: 910
Size:  225.9 KB

Name:  last.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  169.0 KB

Enjoy everyone- Stay safe during these times!

Regards,

BRCHP
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY

Last edited by FSHNGRY; 03-29-2020 at 01:50 AM..
Appreciate 3
      03-29-2020, 06:42 AM   #2
chatoyer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 m40i

Nicely done!
Appreciate 1
FSHNGRY2301.00
      03-29-2020, 11:28 AM   #3
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatoyer View Post
Nicely done!

Thanks! I'm running out of things to clean. Anyone want a car wash?!

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 11:40 AM   #4
cbertels
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 YMB-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRCHP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatoyer View Post
Nicely done!

Thanks! I'm running out of things to clean. Anyone want a car wash?!
I'll take one! I've got silverstone interior if you want a challenge! Great Job
Appreciate 1
FSHNGRY2301.00
      03-30-2020, 05:21 AM   #5
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

IDK if it's the photo filter you've used, but the leather seats look super shiny.
      03-31-2020, 12:09 AM   #6
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
IDK if it's the photo filter you've used, but the leather seats look super shiny.
Due to my immense time off- every picture has some sort of editing.

One of the products I used was the "Leather conditioner" which can vary in shiny-ness depending on the amount of buffing and product used.

Day 4 now- shine slowly fading but seats feel stiff and tight. Love it.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 03:18 PM   #7
f83woody
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: It's a car

I hate to say it but I don't think "hand polishing" does much of anything except maybe taking more contaminants out of your paint. It certainly is not removing any swirls.

Other than that, thank you for giving me the motivation to do my car now lol! Good job!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 03:33 PM   #8
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by f83woody View Post
I hate to say it but I don't think "hand polishing" does much of anything except maybe taking more contaminants out of your paint. It certainly is not removing any swirls.

Other than that, thank you for giving me the motivation to do my car now lol! Good job!
Now I have to explain to my wife why its imperative that I disappear into the garage for the next 10 hours again- i'll blame you! Kidding

Yea, I know that the polishing wasn't ultra effective. The clay bar however, was the most noticeable of entire process. I'm not a pro by any means.. And if anyone knows how to remove or help reduce swirl marks, I'm open to suggestions. overall, It was a very therapeutic process being able to sit and baby my car without feeling like I need to go back to work.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 04:00 PM   #9
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Nicely done! being such a big Adams fan I'm surprised you didn't finish it off with H2O G&G. This is probably hands down my favorite product from them.
Appreciate 1
FSHNGRY2301.00
      05-01-2020, 10:54 PM   #10
OGM2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 AW DCT MPS,N180 4Runner

Quote:
Now I have to explain to my wife why its imperative that I disappear into the garage for the next 10 hours again- i'll blame you! Kidding

Yea, I know that the polishing wasn't ultra effective. The clay bar however, was the most noticeable of entire process. I'm not a pro by any means.. And if anyone knows how to remove or help reduce swirl marks, I'm open to suggestions. overall, It was a very therapeutic process being able to sit and baby my car without feeling like I need to go back to work.
Try applying the glaze, removing with a microfiber towel, then immediately followed by the wax. Glaze works wonders for swirl marks but washes off after a couple washes. The wax will in essence, seal it in for longer lasting results. It's either that or take it to a true pro.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 11:54 PM   #11
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M4N71U View Post
Nicely done! being such a big Adams fan I'm surprised you didn't finish it off with H2O G&G. This is probably hands down my favorite product from them.
Thanks!

It's a work in progress. Ordered more products today (this and swirl removal part of the cart) I'll report back soon!

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 11:56 PM   #12
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGM2 View Post
Quote:

Try applying the glaze, removing with a microfiber towel, then immediately followed by the wax. Glaze works wonders for swirl marks but washes off after a couple washes. The wax will in essence, seal it in for longer lasting results. It's either that or take it to a true pro.
I wish I got this notification 3 hours ago. Just finished washing and running "brilliant glaze" over it and the shine is beautiful.
Can I do the wax say tomorrow morning or afternoon (assuming I take my wife's car and leave mine in the garage)?

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 02:48 PM   #13
f83woody
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: It's a car

Quote:

Such an awesome feeling when you have the time and no other worries! I would check out obsessed garage as he has a ton of great info on his website and YouTube about removing swirls. Just note, he likes the best of everything tool wise so some of the tools he uses are pricier for just an enthusiast trying to keep their car sparkling lol
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 02:02 PM   #14
OGM2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 AW DCT MPS,N180 4Runner

Quote:
I wish I got this notification 3 hours ago. Just finished washing and running "brilliant glaze" over it and the shine is beautiful.
Can I do the wax say tomorrow morning or afternoon (assuming I take my wife's car and leave mine in the garage)?
If you haven't driven it and there is no dust on it you can still do the wax and get the same result.
Appreciate 0