proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-14-2016, 09:36 PM   #67
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy View Post
I never said it will happen to everyone. How did you buy this M4 if you don't have any reading comprehension? I said the problem is real. I never said it will happen to everyone.
So you don't believe by TPG scaring people about this is wrong?

lol nice reaction btw. The problem might be real, as with any engine part, things will break. How about you read my previous post and point out the part when I said, "Shit breaks." And tell me you read that part before you try to reply some smart aleck comment looking down on others.
      02-14-2016, 09:38 PM   #68
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
So you don't believe by TPG scaring people about this is wrong?

lol nice reaction btw. The problem might be real, as with any engine part, things will break. How about you read my previous post and point out the part when I said, "Shit breaks." And tell me you read that part before you try to reply some smart aleck comment looking down on others.
My post has nothing to do with TPG except their part wasn't the right solution. I'm not even going to comment about that.

Sorry if my post offended you. It was SakhirM4 with his bullshit pissing me off more. Point is, problem is real.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 09:46 PM   #69
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
That is simply false and unproven. Your four failures does not prove that BMW has a design flaw or that there "is a real problem with the crank hub".
Quote:
That does not prove a design flaw or a major problem area.
Quote:
Okay so why did it happen to people who were stock and on the stock hub then? Why was it not an isolated incident? Waiting for your response.
Quote:
I will respond when you start thinking with your brain.
Quote:
That's a great response for someone who doesn't know jack shit
Quote:
My post has nothing to do with TPG except their part wasn't the right solution. I'm not even going to comment about that.

Sorry if my post offended you. It was SakhirM4 with his bullshit pissing me off more. Point is, problem is real.
I did not put out any bullshit. I say that there is no proof that there is a design flaw with the crank hub, despite your issue. Did you have a problem? Probably. Does it prove that anything is wrong with BMW's design. Not at all.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 4
      02-14-2016, 09:46 PM   #70
mark5092
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C, 18 M3 ZCP, 20 Raptor

Wow so few failures and we still have 1 or 2 people that get so upset and can't accept that NO CRANK HUB ISSUE EXISTS‼️
As I had said earlier for those that have been spooked for no reason, be thankful that there is no proof at all a problem exists. So sad that many with no engine problems at all were so spooked that they had their engine tore apart and replaced a factory part with an aftermarket part that was absolutely not necessary. Expensive and sucks to lose engine warranty for no reason.
Appreciate 4
      02-14-2016, 09:51 PM   #71
JcLusso
i build cool shit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Individual SMB F80 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2016 BMW i3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5092
Wow so few failures and we still have 1 or 2 people that get so upset and can't accept that NO CRANK HUB ISSUE EXISTS‼️
As I had said earlier for those that have been spooked for no reason, be thankful that there is no proof at all a problem exists. So sad that many with no engine problems at all were so spooked that they had their engine tore apart and replaced a factory part with an aftermarket part that was absolutely not necessary. Expensive and sucks to lose engine warranty for no reason.
And the part in there is actually weaker which is the worst part!

Current: 2018 Individual San Marino Blue M3 | 2022 BSM X5 MC
Previous: 2018 BSM X5 M
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 09:53 PM   #72
sh55
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9805 E46 ZCP 6MT and '9

The problem isn't real

Ive had no issue (9/14 build with 6mt) and since my experience is exactly the same as everyone else's, and everyone knows that, I can state what is and isn't real based on my experience (which in turn is EVERYBODY'S experience).

In all seriousness guys, this is a forum and people can post anything they want within the rules. It's up to YOU to believe it or call BS. Vendors gotta vend and trolls gotta troll...
'97 911S 6MT
Appreciate 3
      02-14-2016, 09:56 PM   #73
idocm4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh55 View Post
Vendors gotta vend and trolls gotta troll...
Preach brother
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 10:26 PM   #74
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Man you guys are a tough crowd. Whether or not a "stock" crank hub issue exists, is irrelevant at this point for sa x sky. He is the user with all the woes because he heavily modified his vehicle to push this platform to the limit and everyone here is lynching the guy because of it. He, as well as other vendors here, found a part which has failures when the engine is pushed beyond stock and try to seek a solution for the issue but they get condemned. I understand that some may view the tpg as pressuring people to fix this flaw and say it is a widespread issue but they did not twist anyone's arm to buy their part. I do agree that they should have done further testing and r&d but it's too late for that now. We can only look forward in hopes that if there is a "real" crank hub failure that there is a permanent fix and solution for individuals who like the option of modifying their vehicles, whether it is fbo or an all out engine build like sa x sky is doing. The way I look at it, companies do this not only to profit but also help out the community. I'd rather have companies pushing the envelope and breaking parts while offering a solution and sharing their findings than one that is hush hush about everything and only offering up the best to people in the know.

I think we should all bring it down a notch and stop the finger pointing. The fact of the matter is that a few users who have modified their vehicles or have money shifted have seen some crank hub failures, there is no denying that. How widespread is the question that remains. Users that have been affected are looking for a solution to a problem. They really don't have to share their findings but they are. Because they are, there is a huge backlash from others who are not even affected by the issue that just want to give their two cents. I think it needs to stop.

To all the vendors and users taking this platform to the next level, I applaud you for your efforts. I know you can all easily walk away from this forum and not give anymore insight on future findings about the " crank hub issue" but I urge you to continue to share your findings. You guys are the pioneers of this platform and either really experienced this failure or you are all just crazy and posting a whole bunch of nonsense to scare the crap out of all f8x owners . I'm inclined to believe it is the former . I hope everything gets sorted out and a solution can be had in the near future.
Appreciate 3
      02-14-2016, 10:33 PM   #75
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
M
(1.) If by "problem" you mean that as horsepower approaches infinity one part will fail first causing the system to fail, then yes there's a "problem", but that's just the physics of all systems ... so, i.e., not a problem

(2.) If you're claiming that you've identified the part which will fail first more often than all others, the crank hub, then you should back up that claim with either:
a.) test cell data over thousands of tests,
b.) a computer scenario that accounts for manufacturing tolerances and probable mean times to failure, or
c.) part failure data across all M4 engines.

(3.) If you're saying you have a few anecdotes and are soliciting data to see if they fit a broader pattern - thus proving your hypothesis, well ... then that's a question, not a statement.

So do you have significant data or are you using a few anecdotes and attempting extrapolate to a broader point?
Appreciate 4
      02-14-2016, 10:41 PM   #76
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yessir View Post
I think it needs to stop.
Yessir
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 10:56 PM   #77
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Not my dog...not my fight; however....

The failure point of any collection of parts can be found with the proper amount of stress at it's weakest connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 01:45 AM   #78
JcLusso
i build cool shit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Individual SMB F80 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2016 BMW i3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yessir
Man you guys are a tough crowd. Whether or not a "stock" crank hub issue exists, is irrelevant at this point for sa x sky. He is the user with all the woes because he heavily modified his vehicle to push this platform to the limit and everyone here is lynching the guy because of it. He, as well as other vendors here, found a part which has failures when the engine is pushed beyond stock and try to seek a solution for the issue but they get condemned. I understand that some may view the tpg as pressuring people to fix this flaw and say it is a widespread issue but they did not twist anyone's arm to buy their part. I do agree that they should have done further testing and r&d but it's too late for that now. We can only look forward in hopes that if there is a "real" crank hub failure that there is a permanent fix and solution for individuals who like the option of modifying their vehicles, whether it is fbo or an all out engine build like sa x sky is doing. The way I look at it, companies do this not only to profit but also help out the community. I'd rather have companies pushing the envelope and breaking parts while offering a solution and sharing their findings than one that is hush hush about everything and only offering up the best to people in the know.

I think we should all bring it down a notch and stop the finger pointing. The fact of the matter is that a few users who have modified their vehicles or have money shifted have seen some crank hub failures, there is no denying that. How widespread is the question that remains. Users that have been affected are looking for a solution to a problem. They really don't have to share their findings but they are. Because they are, there is a huge backlash from others who are not even affected by the issue that just want to give their two cents. I think it needs to stop.

To all the vendors and users taking this platform to the next level, I applaud you for your efforts. I know you can all easily walk away from this forum and not give anymore insight on future findings about the " crank hub issue" but I urge you to continue to share your findings. You guys are the pioneers of this platform and either really experienced this failure or you are all just crazy and posting a whole bunch of nonsense to scare the crap out of all f8x owners . I'm inclined to believe it is the former . I hope everything gets sorted out and a solution can be had in the near future.
No one is pushing away people modifying their cars. It's just wrong however of a vendor to push a part as "necessary preventative maintenance" warning those who don't that they will have their engine at risk for catastrophic failure.

If TPG didn't push the part like it was needed by all, there would be no discussion. That is what they did as seen by the wording in their forum and facebook posts where they utilize a scare tactics to create sales.

And they still are selling a part for a profit (not to help the community) that is known to fail on their site even after all of this. It's clear that they don't care. If they cared about this community the part would no longer be for sale.

Current: 2018 Individual San Marino Blue M3 | 2022 BSM X5 MC
Previous: 2018 BSM X5 M
Appreciate 2
      02-15-2016, 04:50 AM   #79
Warranty P
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

But they sold hundreds of those notched hub gears. Lol
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 04:54 AM   #80
Warranty P
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Quote:

Don't be mad. Simple fact that you are using BMW for drag racing shows you have no idea what you are doing. Research a proper platform and move on...quit abusing that poor car.
Appreciate 3
      02-15-2016, 05:24 AM   #81
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MB C63 S AMG Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4
Quote:
There is a real problem with the crank hub. The wrong solution was implemented to fix it. That's it.
That is simply false and unproven. Your four failures does not prove that BMW has a design flaw or that there "is a real problem with the crank hub".
Then why did it happen on my stock hub? Why did it happened to a stock car as well before dealer fixed mine? Pleaseeee enlighten me. It happened to Jesse@PURE. Terry@BMS himself has seen this problem. Are they not credible? Smfh

I will be waiting for your response to prove me wrong. You want me to bring up my service docs again showing dealer saw damage to stock hub?
I do not want to argue with you, you're a cool guy and what you've done with your car is insane..but I fail to take anyone's word over the engineers I know. Again, I cannot say who/where they work only that they know this engine the best out of everyone in the world.

There is no issue, just an issue with the way we drive/use/modify the cars. No company has fully understood the s55, so no company can know how their stuff is effecting the cars. Over 50,000 pages of coding. So when someone has gone through it, understood it, and understand how something on page 2 effects something on page 49,657 by interacting with something on page 7,912 because of what's stated on page 24,373 then let me know.

retired: GranTurismo MC, Giulia Quadrifoglio, B8.5 RS5, Q60 RedSport, e82 135, F80, e92 M3, e90 M3, (2) e92 335, B8 S4, C209 CLK55 AMG, e46 330
Appreciate 2
      02-15-2016, 05:34 AM   #82
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPG Tuning View Post
We will only make one post regarding this thread.

We are all welcome to form our own opinions. As stated in the other thread created by Kr3st, there has been a lot of informative information put out by a ton of members which I think everyone is thankful for. Collectively there will be advancement and that is the exciting part. There is already parts in the works to add additional strength and incorporate new ideas posted by members, that we are thankful for.
Unfortunately it seems this thread has become more of a fight between a few members than a constructive exchange of ideas and thoughts on the subject.

I have been very critical of the design of your product, as you are well aware of. I have tried to keep my posts constructive and tried to stay away from personal insults etc. I may have failed that goal a few times, but my aim has been to pinpoint some weak points on your product, and tried to explain why I think they are weak points. The easy solution would have been just to say it's a poor design, period. But without any explanation as to why I thought they where weak points, no real progress or understanding would have been brought to light. Whether the slipped stock sprocket really is an issue beyond a few cars, or within a certain production period, remains to be seen I guess.

However, if my input here in any way have helped you to get back on the drawing board and possibly create a better product for those that modify their cars, then nothing would please me more.

If a forum can be a place where constructive criticism and debate takes place, and where we actually can learn new things from each other, then that forum serves a purpose beyond "entertainment".

I have personally learned a lot during my time on these forums.

Last edited by Boss330; 02-15-2016 at 05:40 AM..
Appreciate 2
      02-15-2016, 08:00 AM   #83
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
This is what I wake up to this morning. Stock car, stock hub. Peace out losers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 08:09 AM   #84
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Come on Sameet, really? You know I appreciate what you're doing, but "peace out losers".

This thread shouldn't have become a you vs everyone thing, but I hope you see the important of whats being doing here.

Also, if that is legit, you should tell get his production specs.
      02-15-2016, 08:12 AM   #85
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf32
Quote:
Come on Sameet, really? You know I appreciate what you're doing, but "peace out losers".

This thread shouldn't have become a you vs everyone thing, but I hope you see the important of whats being doing here.

Also, if that is legit, you should tell get his production specs.
It's a 2016. Built 08/15. He was on economy mode apparently, mashed the throttle (hit kickdown) and boom. Heard something snap in the engine.

Why would I fabricate JB4 codes to pop up if it wasn't legit? You've coded his car before.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 08:34 AM   #86
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Quote:
Why would I fabricate JB4 codes to pop up if it wasn't legit?
Why would you call it stock if there's a JB4 on it?
      02-15-2016, 08:41 AM   #87
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
It's a 2016. Built 08/15. He was on economy mode apparently, mashed the throttle (hit kickdown) and boom. Heard something snap in the engine.

Why would I fabricate JB4 codes to pop up if it wasn't legit? You've coded his car before.
One more slipped sprocket where WOT shifting/kickdown is related to the incident...

I wonder if the hard DCT shifts, and the effect that has on crank rpm, can be an issue here, as we have discussed before...

Was there a JB4 on the car when it happened?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 09:05 AM   #88
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach
Quote:
Why would I fabricate JB4 codes to pop up if it wasn't legit?
Why would you call it stock if there's a JB4 on it?
Because he was on map 4 (stock - pass through) when it happened.
Appreciate 0