European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-31-2023, 09:10 AM   #1
4Y_stack_acceleration
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 X3 M40i, '19 C7 Z06 7MT

Passing emissions testing without a catless DPs?

I bought my F82 a little under a year ago (from Carmax). Found out the previous owner put in catless DPs. Was very confused how it passed state emissions testing when it was sold to me, but I called Carmax and they said it passed inspection without issues.

Midpipe and muffler is stock.

How is this possible? Should I be concerned for upcoming annual emissions inspection? Is there some kind of cheat device installed? There was no CEL on this car.

If I'm missing the primary cats and still passing emissions testing, is there any issue if I replaced the stock midpipes with an AA single midpipe? I know the secondary cats usually aren't measured but just want to check in case.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 12:33 AM   #2
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Y_stack_acceleration View Post
I bought my F82 a little under a year ago (from Carmax). Found out the previous owner put in catless DPs. Was very confused how it passed state emissions testing when it was sold to me, but I called Carmax and they said it passed inspection without issues.

Midpipe and muffler is stock.

How is this possible? Should I be concerned for upcoming annual emissions inspection? Is there some kind of cheat device installed? There was no CEL on this car.

If I'm missing the primary cats and still passing emissions testing, is there any issue if I replaced the stock midpipes with an AA single midpipe? I know the secondary cats usually aren't measured but just want to check in case.

1st question. It may have a tune that shows ready or catted o2 spacer installed.

2. If its passing emissions now nothing you will do midpipe back will affect it.

Throw one of our midpipes on there
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2023, 06:36 AM   #3
buffalosojah
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Are you able to plug an OBD2 tester in and check the sensors? If all show ready and there are no cels, I would expect it to pass emissions. With the catless downpipes I would think there would be something installed to prevent a cel though or maybe a sensor turned off via tune.
Appreciate 0