European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-18-2021, 07:45 AM   #1
desmo907
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 x5 45e

Driver Assistance Plus - hardware but no software?

Starting to look for a ~2014-17 M4 coupe.
Found 1 in NY and the sales person (not a BMW dealer) mentioned it does NOT have Driver Assistance Plus (I would like the Blind Spot detection as I am so used to it in other cars) but she said that the hardware is there but absent the software.

This sounds odd as the Driver Assistance Plus package includes lane centering, etc. and I think has side and top cameras. Could this be true that BMW would install all the hardware but leave out the software unless you paid the ~$1,900 for the option?

If so, I suspect the dealer could install the software... but at what cost...?ha.

I did call the local BMW dealer but the service person didn't know and would check.

Thx
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 07:54 AM   #2
biggripper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo907 View Post
Found 1 in NY and the sales person (not a BMW dealer) mentioned it does NOT have Driver Assistance Plus (I would like the Blind Spot detection as I am so used to it in other cars) but she said that the hardware is there but absent the software.

This sounds odd as the Driver Assistance Plus package includes lane centering, etc. and I think has side and top cameras. Could this be true that BMW would install all the hardware but leave out the software unless you paid the ~$1,900 for the option?

If so, I suspect the dealer could install the software... but at what cost...?ha.

I did call the local BMW dealer but the service person didn't know and would check.

Thx
I believe it's one part software and one part hardware. The hardware in this case is the camera mounted under the rear view mirror. Apparently there are two versions of camera. The features your mentioning requires the better camera that comes as part of the package.
FORMER ///F87 M2C | Sunset Orange/Orange | 6MT | Black 788M Wheels
FORMER ///F82 M4 | SSII | Full SO | 6MT | Black 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 08:30 AM   #3
desmo907
Private First Class
Rep

But would it be true that the car could come with all hardware to support the Driver Assist Plus package but absent software?
If yes, then I would think the dealer could install the software (but at what cost)?

-----------------------------------
I finally did talk to a BMW parts person... they say that the hardware (and thus software) would need to be installed from the factory. (it requires camera, antenna, wires...)

Apparently the sales person at NY Auto Find is misinformed......

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggripper View Post
I believe it's one part software and one part hardware. The hardware in this case is the camera mounted under the rear view mirror. Apparently there are two versions of camera. The features your mentioning requires the better camera that comes as part of the package.

Last edited by desmo907; 03-18-2021 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 09:07 AM   #4
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I have the blind spot detection and just so you know, it isn’t that great in these cars. Just not as easy to see compared to Audi or Volvo, for example. It’s ok just not great. Just so you know when using it as a filter to buy a car or if considering investing money to get software.

(To me it’s odd they would outfit the car with the hardware if the option package wasn’t selected, but no idea if this is common.)
bsmf8x778.50
PhatLyfe985.00
      03-18-2021, 09:09 AM   #5
GP87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Current:F82 M4 Previous:F83 M4

Driver Assistance Plus - hardware but no software?

Just to let you know that blind spot detection requires a different kind of sensor in the bumpers for the lane change warning/blind spot assistance with its own control unit, so unless you have this option selected it would be very unlikely this hardware would be installed. However the lane departure warning uses the forward facing camera in the rear view mirror to determine where you stray close/past the lines in the road. However in both cases you would also need the vibrating steering wheel, as this is how the system alerts you. So I think you may potentially be misinformed.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 09:26 AM   #6
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Maybe someone coded it out? You should see what options the car came with to settle this... Mdecoder is good.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 09:57 AM   #7
desmo907
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks.

The BSD is not a deal breaker (nor the lane stuff) but what is your opinion of the views out the windows, etc. I am 6-2 tall.. I did sit in an M4 (yet to drive) and the views seemed pretty good.

I just get so used to BSD from my current car that when drive others (rentals) I find myself looking in the mirror for the signal

Last edited by desmo907; 03-18-2021 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 10:38 AM   #8
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Thanks.

The BSD is not a deal breaker (nor the lane stuff) but what is your opinion of the views out the windows, etc. I am 6-2 tall.. I did sit in an M4 (yet to drive) and the views seemed pretty good.

I just get so used to BSD from my current car that when drive others (rentals) I find myself looking in the mirror for the signal
I’m 6-4 and had a coupe and now a convertible. I think views are fine.
      03-18-2021, 10:40 AM   #9
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:

Thx
So I checked Pre-LCIs Ordering Guide and if you have the driver assistance package, your car should have:

ZDB Driver Assistance Plus

5AG Active Blind Spot Detection
5AS Active Driving Assistant
5DL Side and Top View Cameras
8TH Speed Limit Info
Note: Active Driving Assistant includes Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning, Pedestrian Warning and City Collision Mitigation

There is a special note about ZDB package:

ZDB requires ordering ZEC.

ZEC is the executive package and has things like:

Rear view camera
Park Distance Control
Retractable headlight washers
Head-up Display

So you cannot have Driver Assistance Package without Executive Package.

If you have side and top view, you should also have blind spot.

However in 2018 they got rid of the "Driver Assistance Package" and most it became part of the Executive Package (ZPX) and then these became standalone options.

508 Park Distance Control (This is added if you order Executive Package).
5AG Active Blind Spot Detection
5AS Active Driving Assistant
610 Head-up Display (This is added if you order Executive Package)

So if you wanted blind spot monitoring in 2018+, it is a stand alone option.

In 2019, it changes again. Active Driving Assistant becomes standard, and blind spot detection is still a stand alone option even if you order Exec Package.

So basically, from 2015-2017, as long as you had "Driver Assistance Plus", you need to have Exec as Blind Spot Monitoring was not a stand alone option back then. In 2018, it's when it changed because Driver Assistance Plus is gone and these features moved into Exec Package except Blind Spot Monitoring (stand alone ordering option).

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      03-18-2021, 11:13 AM   #10
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Visibility is fine I'm not far off from your height and haven't used my blind spot feature once
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 11:18 AM   #11
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmf8x View Post
Visibility is fine I'm not far off from your height and haven't used my blind spot feature once
I have it but don’t really use it either. The only annoying visibility thing in the car is that the rear headrests are not foldable and are too tall and block some of the rear view mirror view. So my side mirrors are closer to compensate that and makes me a little uncomfortable. Feels like a blind spot.

Eventually would want to get Euro mirrors but it’s pretty expensive for mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 05:08 PM   #12
speedracerM4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Does everyone, including those who do not have driver assistance, have the triangle on the inner edge of the mirrors? I do agree that the alert is hard to see, especially with tint.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 05:27 PM   #13
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracerM4 View Post
Does everyone, including those who do not have driver assistance, have the triangle on the inner edge of the mirrors? I do agree that the alert is hard to see, especially with tint.
I believe it's a black triangle if you don't have it. The triangle is there but it's not a light.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2021, 04:59 AM   #14
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

The bsd hardware is also good when insurance companies read your vin and offer you a lower rate.

My m4 is cheaper than my 10 year old Camry.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 12:43 PM   #15
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLyfe View Post
The bsd hardware is also good when insurance companies read your vin and offer you a lower rate.

My m4 is cheaper than my 10 year old Camry.
My 2019 BMW M4 insurance is cheaper than my Wife's 2019 Toyota Camry!!! LOL

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 12:44 AM   #16
Jacebror
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi

Does her car have the same safety features?
We just got a '15 F15 today with Active Driving and dropped our '12 FX35, which had lane assist, forward braking assist, and radar cruise and our rate went down.
Appreciate 0