BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-18-2021, 03:51 PM   #1
Cglhut
Rep
Drives: E46 m3

Powder coating brakes?

Hey guys, I plan on having my OEM Iron brakes powder coated. Did you guys split your calipers for powder coating or leave them together? I’ve read you shouldn’t split them, but I’m concerned I’ll melt the internal Oring in the calipers.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 07:23 PM   #2
dms-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

I think if you PC you have to (or should) replace the seals. Why not just have them painted instead?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 08:53 PM   #3
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cglhut View Post
Hey guys, I plan on having my OEM Iron brakes powder coated. Did you guys split your calipers for powder coating or leave them together? I’ve read you shouldn’t split them, but I’m concerned I’ll melt the internal Oring in the calipers.
Split as in separate the halves? No, you dont do that. You remove dustboot, piston and seal. The inside surface does not get powdercoated. It should be masked off. Should probably cover the holes for the pad retainers as well or leave them and clear them out after...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 11:44 PM   #4
Cglhut
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms-01 View Post
I think if you PC you have to (or should) replace the seals. Why not just have them painted instead?
I’m concerned with painting that the color will fade/change color like the oem blue does. Plus I’m not aware of any painters around me that don’t charge an arm and leg. A guy local to me wanted $600 to paint them using the g2 kit to paint just the outside. He wouldn’t be sand blasting them either so the inside by the pistons would still be blue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
Split as in separate the halves? No, you dont do that. You remove dustboot, piston and seal. The inside surface does not get powdercoated. It should be masked off. Should probably cover the holes for the pad retainers as well or leave them and clear them out after...
Yup, I planned on having them all torn apart piston/dustboot wise and taped off. I was just concerned about baking the internal crossover oring on the inside if I don’t split the halves. Calipers get pretty hot on the track, but not 400 degrees continuously. You think the orings would be good to be baked?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 08:56 AM   #5
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I had my calipers powder coated. The place I chose to do the work had done many calipers before and were highly recommended.

All they asked me to do was remove the calipers and drain the fluid out. That’s all. They took care of whatever else had to be done. People that do this work should have sufficient experience to know what has to be done to protect the seals and internals.

Calipers were returned coated inside and out. No leaks, no problems.

I’ve been driving with them for two years now. No fading.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 12:12 PM   #6
Cglhut
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamDavid View Post
I had my calipers powder coated. The place I chose to do the work had done many calipers before and were highly recommended.

All they asked me to do was remove the calipers and drain the fluid out. That’s all. They took care of whatever else had to be done. People that do this work should have sufficient experience to know what has to be done to protect the seals and internals.

Calipers were returned coated inside and out. No leaks, no problems.

I’ve been driving with them for two years now. No fading.
They look awesome man, I think I actually PM’d about yours yesterday. You said ArmorTech Coatings did yours right? Is that armortech located in pompano beach, Florida?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 04:07 PM   #7
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cglhut View Post
They look awesome man, I think I actually PM’d about yours yesterday. You said ArmorTech Coatings did yours right? Is that armortech located in pompano beach, Florida?
ArmorTech is correct. Saw your PM after I posted.

My wife and I were going on a ten day cruise so I pulled the calipers off and shipped them just before we left and took her X5 to the airport. I think they came back a day or so after our return. Shipping with insurance was nuts. I kinda remember $180, but the bulk of that was the insurance.

I insured the calipers for their entire replacement cost if they were somehow lost. I think a better plan would be to ask the shipper for insurance rates for various amounts and see how much I am willing to risk.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 04:17 PM   #8
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep

Also, they can coat them any color you want. Powder manufacturers go by the RAL color standards so you might want to order a RAL color deck (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to see all the colors that are available. It seems like there was 20 or more shades of yellow and I antagonized for days making a choice.
Appreciate 0