Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

11-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #1
dillinja
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Winter tires in IL?

Hi all,

Have a 2016 M4 with Michelin Pilot Super Sports in rear and Pilot Sport S4's in front (long story regarding mismatch... dealer error). Recently relocated to the Chicago area from Texas, use my car as a daily driver (about 40-60 miles/day).

Apologies in advance if this sounds like a silly question, but am I good/safe with these tires, or do I need specific winter tires? If so, what do you recommend?

UPDATE:
Thanks all for your responses! Seems like it's something I definitely have to do.

I've been extremely happy with the Michelin summer tires since switching from the Conti's that originally came with the car, so I'm leaning towards sticking with Michelin.

The only available winter Michelin is the Pilot Alpin PA4
https://www.michelinman.com/browse-a...alpin-pa4.html
Thoughts??

The alternative would be the Michelin all-season Pilot Sport A/S 3+, which doesn't seem ideal, and the Michelin website says it doesn't fit M4's (although I've read about people using them on M4's online).
https://www.michelinman.com/all-seas...-s-3-plus.html
If anyone thinks all-seasons are ok, let me know..

Anyone with experience with the Michelin Pilot Alpins, or have recommendations for other tires?

Last edited by dillinja; 11-11-2019 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #2
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F80 - ZCP 6MT

Most people ask whether it's even safe to drive these cars in Illinois during winter! I think you, at the very minimum, need proper winter tires.

Since I live in CA, I can not recommend a brand. I'm sure the community will let you know which.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #3
Capt Awesome
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Msport

I DD my M3 in the winter in the city and suburbs. You absolutely need winter tires. Handles fine once you have them on, but driving around with even a light dusting of snow on your PSS or PS4 will give your traction control a heart attack.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #4
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

Being a former Illinois-an, you definitely need winter tires. Blizzaks are always a good go to.

Dont envy all that snow you guys just got hit with!
      11-11-2019, 11:43 AM   #5
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

I'm sorry you had to come here from Texas.

With that out of the way, unless you want a 3600 lb set of ice skates, you're going to want snow tires. The hell with winter performance tires, get something that'll dig in heavy snow. You're not going to be flooring it much in the winter anyways - may as well sacrifice best dry/wet grip for best snow grip. You may even find yourself passing other AWD cars with all seasons. Any RWD car with a LSD is pretty good in the snow with proper tires. I usually buy four 40 lb bags of Morton's softener salt and put them in the trunk for more weight over the rear axle as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #6
dillinja
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Thanks all! Seems like I have to do it then.

I've been extremely happy with the Michelin summer tires since switching from the Conti's that originally came with the car, so I'm leaning towards sticking with Michelin.

Thoughts??

The alternative would be the Michelin all-season Pilot Sport A/S 3+, which doesn't seem ideal based on what you all are saying, and the Michelin website says it doesn't fit my M4 (although I've read about people using them on M4's online). If anyone thinks all-seasons are ok, let me know..

Anyone with experience with the Michelin Pilot Alpins, or have other recs?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #7
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

I have the Pilot Alpins that got me through a Utah winter. Great winter tire. Now, I never drove the car if the snow was deep but did great getting up the mountains with a few inches of snow on the ground.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #8
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillinja View Post

Thoughts??

The alternative would be the Michelin all-season Pilot Sport A/S 3+, which doesn't seem ideal based on what you all are saying, and the Michelin website says it doesn't fit my M4 (although I've read about people using them on M4's online). If anyone thinks all-seasons are ok, let me know..

The pilot alpin is a winter performance tire. Obviously it's your decision, but if it was me, I'd get a real snow tire like a blizzak if your only car is the M4. There's a member on here selling the OEM winter and tire set brand new never used in Chicago. I'd just snag that set from them.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 10:35 AM   #9
raywai2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillinja View Post

Thoughts??

Don’t do the Pilot AS3 unless you have another car when it snows. I had Blizzaks on and it was still sketchy when the expressway wasn’t treated in time for morning rush hour.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 09:59 PM   #10
ilia
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Hi there OP. This is my third winter with the Michelin Pilot alpin 4's and I have no complaints. As long as you drive smooth no problem even when the roads have not been plowed. I would say 4-6 inches of snow on the road was not a problem for me a couple of years ago. I didn't have to start driving on an uphill with that amount of snow, but luckily Chicagoland is mostly flat. Good luck with your tire choice.
      06-01-2020, 03:45 AM   #11
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Sedan

Survived my first Chicago winter as an M owner just fine on A/S 3+ and would have to disagree with everyone here leaning towards Winter Tires.

Are we looking to make lap times in the blizzard? How often are you actually driving in conditions with 1 inch or more of snow?

OP - Roads in Chicagoland get salted and plowed very quickly I've noticed. Just like you, came to Chicago from Texas 8 years ago and I'd say your exposure to blizzard like driving conditions is probably 5% of winter season, max. For those rare conditions ... highly recommend staying home, Uber, or Public Transit as the way to go.

The Pilot A/S 3+ shines in the rain, where I think it counts the most. Its definitely cold and wet here.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 09:34 PM   #12
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

For snow go with Blizzaks. I put a set of 255s on my stock 19in wheels and they're great in rain and snow. You can find a used set for cheap in summer.