EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

10-15-2020, 10:35 PM   #1
f80313
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Rattle from cabin

Hi fellas, I have had downpipes for over a year, no issues. In March, I got a vrsf midpipe on stock ZCP muffler and it was all was good too. But recently, there has been a weird rattle & vibration coming from cabin/passenger area. The rattle/sound is like as if you would drive with e-brake on..(creaking /metal noise). The sound comes at low speed/gears and is random or maybe comes when car is warmed up. Please advise. It's annoying!!

Last edited by f80313; 10-15-2020 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 08:49 AM   #2
ny_f82_m4
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80313 View Post
Hi fellas, I have had downpipes for over a year, no issues. In March, I got a vrsf midpipe on stock ZCP muffler and it was all was good too. But recently, there has been a weird rattle & vibration coming from cabin/passenger area. The rattle/sound is like as if you would drive with e-brake on..(creaking /metal noise). The sound comes at low speed/gears and is random or maybe comes when car is warmed up. Please advise. It's annoying!!

I have a vrsf single midpipe and it rubs slightly and makes the same noise as in your video just not as bad. It's the midpipe rubbing against the center brace. The single midpipes don't usually have enough clearance to fit at the brace. You can throw some spacers ok the brace so the midpipe has more space and hopefully won't rattle
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 12:24 PM   #3
f80313
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_f82_m4 View Post
I have a vrsf single midpipe and it rubs slightly and makes the same noise as in your video just not as bad. It's the midpipe rubbing against the center brace. The single midpipes don't usually have enough clearance to fit at the brace. You can throw some spacers ok the brace so the midpipe has more space and hopefully won't rattle

Thanks, bud! But I don't even have the brace on. I knew it'd rattle so I never put it on.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 12:30 PM   #4
ny_f82_m4
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_f82_m4 View Post

Thanks, bud! But I don't even have the brace on. I knew it'd rattle so I never put it on.
Yeah then I'm not sure what it could be
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #5
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

Your charge cooler is hitting the under hood?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 02:22 PM   #6
soogoood
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Check your downpipes from the v bands back and make sure they are tight and check the longer one with the bracket make sure that’s tight. It sounds like perhaps the brackets loose and causing the rattling.

Exhaust rattling travels like a son of a bitch so just check from the downpipes back. Quite possible on nj roads normal wear and tear could loosen a few bolts here and there.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 08:40 PM   #7
m4dman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CS

Quote:

Did they replace the donut gasket where the downpipes meet the midpipe when you got it installed ? That is a common place to have an exhaust leak when removed.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:18 PM   #8
f80313
Rep

All fixed, guys! It was one of the hangers that was hitting the midpipe. Not the gasket, not the brace. The hangers.
Appreciate 1
Poiseuille5362.00
      01-19-2022, 08:16 AM   #9
Alpine-F80
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
All fixed, guys! It was one of the hangers that was hitting the midpipe. Not the gasket, not the brace. The hangers.
Following up here -- think I just had the same issue. Was it the exhaust hanger closest to the DP (with black rubber, not red)? I had rattling stemming from here as well. I saw the metal on the hanger was touching the top of the arm that's welded to the midpipe to attach to the hanger so I assumed I had installed the hanger backwards as it was able to bolt in 2 ways.

But after uninstalling the midpipe and reinstalling the hanger the opposite direction it still makes contact. So I'm starting to think the issue is the location/size of the arm welded to the midpipe, if it was like 1/4" lower it wouldn't be an issue. I'm planning to grind down part of it next time I'm down there, for now I left that hanger off as that one seemed to be the "least important" of the hangers at least. Guess we'll find out..
Appreciate 1
Poiseuille5362.00
      01-20-2022, 07:56 AM   #10
Sparx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82

I’ve had a similar rattle under the passenger. It’s most likely a hanger from your exhaust that’s making that sound. Have them lift it up and tighten all the hangers
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 06:16 PM   #11
Truespeed
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 M3/ 01 AASC E46 330ci

Garage List
I stuck a couple of felt pads on the metal hanger where it was making contact and it seemed to have solved my rattle issue.
Appreciate 0