EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

01-20-2022, 01:35 PM   #1
rev29k
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Silverstone over Black

Windshield and headlight washers not working.

So I noticed on a recent road trip my windshield washers weren't turning on. I immediately thought back to a leaky pump I had to replace on my previous E90 3-series.

After returning I tried troubleshooting the issue. No sound is emitted/heard when activating the pump(s). The wipers just move, that's it. I also checked and the headlight washers don't open either (I admit I've never "checked" these, just assume headlights need to be on when pulling the lever, which I did).

After doing much searching I discovered there are multiple pumps for the system (1 for windshield, 1 for headlights, and 1 for rear window if on a F31/wagon). I am guessing my next recourse is to just try ordering a new washer pump, but then I am wondering why BOTH pumps aren't working. Is there something else to check? I understand these are controlled by the Front Electronics Module A173 in the passenger footwell.

Does anyone else have experience with this issue on an F80/82 or even an F30? Just trying to understand what else I can do/check before proceeding with order parts, which is strictly going to be a gamble. I REALLY hope it's not some other electrical problem that has to be service by the dealer.

TIA guys! As always appreciate any help you can provide.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ISTAD windscreen washer system.pdf (511.5 KB, 95 views)
Appreciate 0