ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-24-2022, 05:27 PM   #1
Gunzy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

AA EL midpipe resonated vs non res

I've got the AA non resonated right now and while it's nice, it's a little too much for me with my kids and everything. I get some booming down low, under 2k rpm which I can avoid but would prefer to clean and quiet it up about 20-25%.

Would add the resonators to the rear section accomplish this? I don't need it to be super loud anymore, those days are behind me. I got the midpipe to change the tone and add a little bit more volume.

I am on stock Downpipes and stock muffler. Anyone tried both setups? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 05:45 PM   #2
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: bmw

LOL this post is hilarious. I was complaining about the hideous buzzing sounds in the other thread and you told me that the flaps fix everything and reduces the buzzing by 50% (when it clearly doesn't for me, it reduces it by about 20% AT MOST) and now you come out posting that, essentially, you wish you had the resonated ones.

It's amazing how the "investment" in these pipes causes everyone to become a salesman.
Appreciate 2
      01-24-2022, 06:01 PM   #3
Gunzy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sporty View Post
LOL this post is hilarious. I was complaining about the hideous buzzing sounds in the other thread and you told me that the flaps fix everything and reduces the buzzing by 50% (when it clearly doesn't for me, it reduces it by about 20% AT MOST) and now you come out posting that, essentially, you wish you had the resonated ones.

It's amazing how the "investment" in these pipes causes everyone to become a salesman.
It did reduce the buzzing (your word not mine) by about 50% but I'm still getting the booming drone from 1500-1700 and this is what I would like to reduce. The flaps 100% made the midpipe more liveable for someone like me when I have the wife and kids and cleaned it up a good amount from 2-3k rpm.

Also what's the harm and finding out the real world difference in sound from res to non res? The mid pipe has added good sound and I'm trying to fine tune it to my liking.

EDIT: to clarify here in efficient mode the car is TOO QUIET and is quieter than stock midpipe In sport mode or else I would shut the flaps all the time as it rid me of any and all booming or other little noises that real or perceived by you are happening.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 07:06 PM   #4
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

I was waiting for a hilariously funny response like this. This thread is comical.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2022, 07:19 PM   #5
Gunzy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I don't think it qualifies as a thread if it's just us 2, just like spending any amount of money on a car or it's parts qualifies as an "investment".

You clearly aren't happy with your "investment" just change the exhaust if you aren't happy. I am simply trying to explore options as no matter what you do to this motor it won't sound great, but at least I realize that.
Appreciate 1
dzxy24.50
      01-24-2022, 07:27 PM   #6
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

With valves open in your setup there will always be a boominess at that point in the RPM range. It's very Jekyll & Hyde with the stock muffler - either full on track car loud or Toyota Camry quiet. I can appreciate that you're probably looking for some middle ground, in which case I think your options are:

1. Source resonated pipes - this will help a bit with the boominess but also lower the top end volume & smooth out the note while making the quiet mode a bit quieter

2. Source a less insulated muffler (for example MPE) - this will make the quiet mode more aggressive and keep the loud mode practically the same, if a touch louder.
      01-24-2022, 10:02 PM   #7
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzy View Post
I don't think it qualifies as a thread if it's just us 2, just like spending any amount of money on a car or it's parts qualifies as an "investment".

You clearly aren't happy with your "investment" just change the exhaust if you aren't happy. I am simply trying to explore options as no matter what you do to this motor it won't sound great, but at least I realize that.
LOL, I'm clearly not happy? It's you that's clearly not happy, asking about the resonated version.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 10:09 PM   #8
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

The reason that I find this post so hilarious is that you treat it as such a large purchase and investment that you have to defend it in the other thread although you know it sounds bad. You act like a salesman for the product although you know in your heart that it sounds bad.

The fact that I brought up that it sounds bad made you start this thread about the resonated version, and you know it.

To me, I know it sounds bad and I could care less because I can literally throw this pipe away and not give a crap about the money spent. I don't have to pretend it's good and lie to others that it sounds good because I spent money on it. It's not a lot to me!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 05:47 AM   #9
Gunzy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The reason that I find this post so hilarious is that you treat it as such a large purchase and investment that you have to defend it in the other thread although you know it sounds bad. You act like a salesman for the product although you know in your heart that it sounds bad.

The fact that I brought up that it sounds bad made you start this thread about the resonated version, and you know it.

To me, I know it sounds bad and I could care less because I can literally throw this pipe away and not give a crap about the money spent. I don't have to pretend it's good and lie to others that it sounds good because I spent money on it. It's not a lot to me!
"LOL" that you think you prompted this post. Since you love bringing up what was said in the other but seem to lack in reading comprehension, I never stated that it sounded good, I stated that closing the flaps makes it BETTER in terms of volume and rasp. If I can't find a solution to what is bothering me I will remove it and go back to stock. I had the midpipe for a few days and am simply questioning if I should have got resonated vs non simply for the sound level below 2k rpm. Plain and simple. I think that there are zero great options for sound on this car and tried the only one that came anywhere near improving the sound and now I am trying to tailor it to my preferences if possible. It sounds good at WOT but that's not where I spend most of my time. Next time, for everyone's sake please use more Emojis to get your point across so as to clean up this thread and so that my 2 year old can also understand what your trying to get across. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 08:48 AM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

resonated will help for sure.Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
Gunzy79.50
      01-25-2022, 08:50 AM   #11
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I'm also on OEM downpipes and muffler with non-resonated equal length and curious what adding the resonated pipes would sound like.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 09:18 AM   #12
Gunzy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
resonated will help for sure.Give it a try and let us know how it goes.
I sent you a message Mike. Will the resonated be louder or similar to the stock set up with valves open?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 09:31 AM   #13
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
I'm also on OEM downpipes and muffler with non-resonated equal length and curious what adding the resonated pipes would sound like.
I’ve heard this setup - comes across a little quieter and less rambunctious due to the reduced rasp. Still sounds great - a more civilized tone and less “race car” if that makes sense. I haven’t lived with it, so while it does reduce some of the drone/boominess, I couldn’t tell you to what degree from a daily perspective.

Quote:
I sent you a message Mike. Will the resonated be louder or similar to the stock set up with valves open?
Still loud and louder than stock, but not as loud as non resonated
Gunzy79.50
      01-25-2022, 11:03 AM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Got it

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 02:32 PM   #15
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
"LOL" that you think you prompted this post. Since you love bringing up what was said in the other but seem to lack in reading comprehension, I never stated that it sounded good, I stated that closing the flaps makes it BETTER in terms of volume and rasp. If I can't find a solution to what is bothering me I will remove it and go back to stock. I had the midpipe for a few days and am simply questioning if I should have got resonated vs non simply for the sound level below 2k rpm. Plain and simple. I think that there are zero great options for sound on this car and tried the only one that came anywhere near improving the sound and now I am trying to tailor it to my preferences if possible. It sounds good at WOT but that's not where I spend most of my time. Next time, for everyone's sake please use more Emojis to get your point across so as to clean up this thread and so that my 2 year old can also understand what your trying to get across. Thanks in advance.
Yep, it "cleaned up the sound" so much that you started a whole new thread about wanting to get a completely different pipe, confirming what I originally posted in the first place -- the sound is bad! I'm just stating exactly what you did, sorry man, the facts are the facts. This is why I can't stop laughing -- your spending money on the pipe turned you into a virtual salesman for it.

For everyone else on this forum -- watch out for this effect. People who spend a significant amount of their savings on something feel invested in it and are drawn to not say bad things about it! To me, it's not a big deal and I openly state the truth, it sounds terrible!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 09:07 PM   #16
Gunzy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yep, it "cleaned up the sound" so much that you started a whole new thread about wanting to get a completely different pipe, confirming what I originally posted in the first place -- the sound is bad! I'm just stating exactly what you did, sorry man, the facts are the facts. This is why I can't stop laughing -- your spending money on the pipe turned you into a virtual salesman for it.

For everyone else on this forum -- watch out for this effect. People who spend a significant amount of their savings on something feel invested in it and are drawn to not say bad things about it! To me, it's not a big deal and I openly state the truth, it sounds terrible!
Thank you for your service and saving the community. Adding a resonator to the same exact system is hardly wanting a completely new pipe. It is the same system from the same manufacturer.

This baby is being funded by the stimi! No savings needed!

Your perpetuation is the same type of marketing energy as my asking my opinions of which you offer none, so expect your royalties soon. In the AAEL thread I responded to your post of rasp and loudness by offering something that helped me in my situation and you just assumed that maybe I should have known you had the flaps on auto or for some reason you think I'm lying about it's efficacy? Either way you've been entertaining so I applaud your efforts.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 10:06 PM   #17
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for your service and saving the community. Adding a resonator to the same exact system is hardly wanting a completely new pipe. It is the same system from the same manufacturer.

Your perpetuation is the same type of marketing energy as my asking my opinions of which you offer none, so expect your royalties soon. In the AAEL thread I responded to your post of rasp and loudness by offering something that helped me in my situation and you just assumed that maybe I should have known you had the flaps on auto or for some reason you think I'm lying about it's efficacy? Either way you've been entertaining so I applaud your efforts.
Hah, keep telling yourself that it's not a different pipe. I am helping the community here by letting them know that people like you are misleading them by applauding how great the non resonated pipe sounds with the OEM muffler, even when you know it's not great. This very thread is proof of it. That's the bottom line, right there.

I suppose it makes complete sense that you purchased a pipe with stimulus money -- hey, if you need some help again with purchasing the resonated pipe, since there are no more stimulus checks coming, set up a GoFundMe and I'll be happy to chip in again. We all certainly did the first time with our tax dollars.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 10:26 PM   #18
Gunzy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hah, keep telling yourself that it's not a different pipe. I am helping the community here by letting them know that people like you are misleading them by applauding how great the non resonated pipe sounds with the OEM muffler, even when you know it's not great. This very thread is proof of it. That's the bottom line, right there.

I suppose it makes complete sense that you purchased a pipe with stimulus money -- hey, if you need some help again with purchasing the resonated pipe, since there are no more stimulus checks coming, set up a GoFundMe and I'll be happy to chip in again. We all certainly did the first time with our tax dollars.
When did I applaud how great it is? I will leave this here for you quote me from a previous post. I did say it sounds good at wot but questioned it at lower RPM.

Also, LOL at the stimulus quote. What stimulus? I'm actually LOLing this time because you keep living up to the bill.

Again in this thread I haven't been pushing the midpipe I've been asking questions how to make it better, please explain how that is applauding it.

PS: I'm loving this please keep it coming.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 04:48 PM   #19
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

This thread is gold
Appreciate 2
      06-06-2022, 03:53 PM   #20
MMMTREE
Rep