ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-28-2016, 11:19 AM   #1
dahherwang
Private
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

M adaptive or conventional coilover like Ohlins or KW

Is anyone willing to share why you decided to get rid of your m adaptive suspension and go for a set of conventional coilver like KW or Ohlins? Have you ever considered to use a set of short spring or HAS instead? Thanks.

Last edited by dahherwang; 07-29-2016 at 12:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #2
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahherwang
Is anyone willing to share why you decided to abandon your m adaptive suspension and go for a set of conventional coilver like KW or Ohlins? Have you ever considered to use a set of short spring or HAS instead? Thanks.
Coilovers will be superior to Adaptive.

BMW's Adaptive suspension isn't really that good and it uses real old technology.

Rebound control is especially weak, you will get much better control with a coilover.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2016, 03:24 AM   #3
dahherwang
Private
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Coilovers will be superior to Adaptive.

BMW's Adaptive suspension isn't really that good and it uses real old technology.

Rebound control is especially weak, you will get much better control with a coilover.
Have you ever considered a set of HAS or short springs instead?
      07-29-2016, 07:38 AM   #4
hwalk
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Changing just springs is for lowering the car and make it look more aggressive but in most cases the damping gets worse than with stock springs. I chose ACS Springs which in my opinion is the best combination with stock coilovers/ EDC as it feels pretty much stock and is a good solution for a DD or if you stay on public roads. I can't tell about KW HAS but had H&R before and the car felt horrible.

But if you want a real improvement with more grip and better steering you need to change the whole system. I considered KW Clubsport, Bilstein B16 Damptronic (EDC-compatible but available earliest in the year 2525) and ended up with the mentioned Öhlins. I think they have a matching technology and they're not only stiff like the Clubsport stuff. I added on some adjustable camber plates as i plan to do some trackdays with the car. Can't wait to get them installed...
      07-29-2016, 07:31 PM   #5
Carlos@TAG
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Cinco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahherwang View Post
Have you ever considered a set of HAS or short springs instead?
I had Swift Spec-R lowering springs on my last car, a 2013 E92 M3 w/ EDC. The car drove very well, but damping control was not up to the same level as some of the better coilover options that are available when they are set up properly. On very bumpy roads, the car would bounce a little too much and tire contact with the road was not optimal.

A nice set of Bilstein or Ohlins Road & Track coilovers feels much better and keeps the tire pressed into the road without letting the body of the car bounce around because they offer better damping in my opinion.

EDC is a fantastic system and I personally liked how comfortable it was in Comfort mode because 90% of my driving with my M3 was on freeways and around town. If I had more time to push it hard, I would have gone for Bilstein B16 Damptronic coilovers to let me keep the benefits of EDC with the lowered look I wanted (it's also stiffer than the factory EDC setup) or possibly Ohlins Road & Track.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 11:32 PM   #6
dahherwang
Private
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neema@TAG View Post
I had Swift Spec-R lowering springs on my last car, a 2013 E92 M3 w/ EDC. The car drove very well, but damping control was not up to the same level as some of the better coilover options that are available when they are set up properly. On very bumpy roads, the car would bounce a little too much and tire contact with the road was not optimal.

A nice set of Bilstein or Ohlins Road & Track coilovers feels much better and keeps the tire pressed into the road without letting the body of the car bounce around because they offer better damping in my opinion.

EDC is a fantastic system and I personally liked how comfortable it was in Comfort mode because 90% of my driving with my M3 was on freeways and around town. If I had more time to push it hard, I would have gone for Bilstein B16 Damptronic coilovers to let me keep the benefits of EDC with the lowered look I wanted (it's also stiffer than the factory EDC setup) or possibly Ohlins Road & Track.
Just like you, my last car is also a 2013 E92 M3 but without EDC! I changed my oe coilovers to Ohlins R&T right after 2000km because I just felt the oe one is too bouncy on bumpy road, but don't have enough supporting force on flat road. I am more than glad that I choose Ohlins R&T because it is a system which totally fit my requirement(high quality workmanship, great damping setting and relative conservation drop).

Now my F82 equips EDC, but I just use comfort mode one time and then I never use it again because it lets me feel that I am driving a boat rather than a sporty coupe, therefore my daily use setting is sport mode. When I push my car hard, I feel even sport plus mode is still not stiff enough, but EDC is indeed convenient to switch between sport and sport plus...This is why I am still in a dilemma as to whether go for a Dinan HAS or a set of Ohlins R&T.
      08-01-2016, 02:13 AM   #7
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

If you already have the EDC, I would suggest either going with a HAS kit or waiting for the Bilstein Damptronic System for the F8X. Options are not cheap in Taiwan! It would be a total shame to have spent so much money just to pay again to delete it.

I have EDC on my current F80... I did not wish to spec it, but now that I have it I don't mind it at all. I have the Swift springs with about 8k miles on them with mileage going up since it is my daily. I think you would be more than happy with the Swift Spec-R's because they do an awesome job with the OEM shocks. Driving in "Sport" mode on a daily basis, the car does not bounce like my prior E92 M3, and the handling is improved.

Here is a quick shot of the drop:

Appreciate 1
hanszilla281.50
      08-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #8
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

I currently have a HAS kit installed because I don't want anymore than a 1 inch drop due to the sheer amount of speed bumps I have to pass through everyday. I ordered the car with EDC and I don't want it to be a waste by switching to full coils (yet).

Currently the car is dropped by .8 in front and .2 in the back. I am sitting on some meaty tires though AD08R 265/35 and 295/30. I've been on the HAS for about 4000 miles now, the ride quality is pretty much OEM.
Attached Images

Forevermore haunted by 2 bear pillows in the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 02:11 AM   #9
dahherwang
Private
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin | AutoTalent View Post
If you already have the EDC, I would suggest either going with a HAS kit or waiting for the Bilstein Damptronic System for the F8X. Options are not cheap in Taiwan! It would be a total shame to have spent so much money just to pay again to delete it.

I have EDC on my current F80... I did not wish to spec it, but now that I have it I don't mind it at all. I have the Swift springs with about 8k miles on them with mileage going up since it is my daily. I think you would be more than happy with the Swift Spec-R's because they do an awesome job with the OEM shocks. Driving in "Sport" mode on a daily basis, the car does not bounce like my prior E92 M3, and the handling is improved.
You seem very familiar with Taiwan's car related market...

Indeed, Swift springs is one of the solutions which I had ever considered, but the drop is too much to pass the downhill path of most underground parking lots in Taiwan. Therefroe I can only consider HAS weither from KW or Dinan if coilover sets are excluded. The drop which I prefer is around 1/2~4/5 inch.

On the other hand, Ohlins R&T is the only one set of coilovers which I am considering, because the minimum drop of KW V3 or clubsport is 30mm! Bilstein Damptronic is great, but no clear release schedule until now just like M Performance coilover. Besides, the minimum drop of Bilstein Damptronic is also 30mm...
      08-02-2016, 02:21 AM   #10
dahherwang
Private
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanszilla View Post
I currently have a HAS kit installed because I don't want anymore than a 1 inch drop due to the sheer amount of speed bumps I have to pass through everyday. I ordered the car with EDC and I don't want it to be a waste by switching to full coils (yet).

Currently the car is dropped by .8 in front and .2 in the back. I am sitting on some meaty tires though AD08R 265/35 and 295/30. I've been on the HAS for about 4000 miles now, the ride quality is pretty much OEM.
Thanks for your sharing.
By the way, some say the spring height of HAS decline very fast, after one year, you can see the obvious change! Have you found this issue?
      08-02-2016, 03:28 AM   #11
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
You seem very familiar with Taiwan's car related market...

Indeed, Swift springs is one of the solutions which I had ever considered, but the drop is too much to pass the downhill path of most underground parking lots in Taiwan. Therefroe I can only consider HAS weither from KW or Dinan if coilover sets are excluded. The drop which I prefer is around 1/2~4/5 inch.

On the other hand, Ohlins R&T is the only one set of coilovers which I am considering, because the minimum drop of KW V3 or clubsport is 30mm! Bilstein Damptronic is great, but no clear release schedule until now just like M Performance coilover. Besides, the minimum drop of Bilstein Damptronic is also 30mm...
It's been a while since I've been back, but I definitely remember the roads!

Another spring solution may include ACS or Eibach.... I think it's important to consider the cost of ordering the factory EDC into purchasing an aftermarket method to lower your car. Most people here in the States do not understand how blessed the market is. Taiwan pays a little more than double what we pay in the States!

Here's a picture of Eibach:

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 12:01 PM   #12
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Quote:
Thanks for your sharing.
By the way, some say the spring height of HAS decline very fast, after one year, you can see the obvious change! Have you found this issue?
I personally haven't. I drive the car pretty hard and I put a lot of miles on it. If anything I think the quality is the same as OEM, or maybe it's the fact that I didn't do an extreme drop.

Not to get off topic, how does the fab speed mid-pipe and MPE sound?

Forevermore haunted by 2 bear pillows in the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 02:42 PM   #13
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Aftermarket coilovers are far superior to OEM offerings. They're able to absorb bumps better and of course, are better suited for track duty. I've had springs alone on my cars and they were definitely not as comfortable as a full, matched coilover set.
      08-03-2016, 11:52 PM   #14
dahherwang
Private
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanszilla View Post
How does the fab speed mid-pipe and MPE sound?
Sound great, a little louder, double x pipe indeed change the tune to fit MPE's characteristic. If you have not considered about changing DP and equiped with MPE already, then fabspeed mid-pipe is the best choice in the market. Or I should say the only choice due to the fitting.

Last edited by dahherwang; 08-04-2016 at 12:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #15
Bucketsbentley
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwalk View Post
Changing just springs is for lowering the car and make it look more aggressive but in most cases the damping gets worse than with stock springs. I chose ACS Springs which in my opinion is the best combination with stock coilovers/ EDC as it feels pretty much stock and is a good solution for a DD or if you stay on public roads. I can't tell about KW HAS but had H&R before and the car felt horrible.

But if you want a real improvement with more grip and better steering you need to change the whole system. I considered KW Clubsport, Bilstein B16 Damptronic (EDC-compatible but available earliest in the year 2525) and ended up with the mentioned Öhlins. I think they have a matching technology and they're not only stiff like the Clubsport stuff. I added on some adjustable camber plates as i plan to do some trackdays with the car. Can't wait to get them installed...
Totally agree. There is no comparison between springs and KW Clubsport. Springs give a cheap option for lowering the car and are comparatively cosmetic and marginal in terms of performance. In fact, make the wrong choice and your car's handling will degrade. I strongly advise that you test the springs on a demo car before even considering buying them
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 12:58 PM   #16
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

I run the H&R has-kit on my 2017 comp F82. H&R makes good stuff but the shocks themselves has a Little to ask for. I'm considering Öhlins R&T-kit but i would like to have separate compression and rebound adjustments on them. KW has that but they are made of steel. I don't like that they are making the unsprung weight higher than the stock suspension. I will try to flash in the CS damper settings Before i do any Changes and see what that can do. A lot of guys says it improves the susupension quite good.
Appreciate 0