proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

View Poll Results: S65 option or S55 standart ?
YES ... I would choose the S65 if an option at this price would be availiable 92 46.00%
NO ... I would choose the standart S55 engine 108 54.00%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #683
Kurt_OH
Captain
Kurt_OH's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
734
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
No it isn't. Just because your bias is blinding you (because for some reason if you seem to think that the S55 being "special" would somehow cheapen the S65). And again, the S55 IS a special motor, just like the S65 is a special motor, JUST FOR DIFFERENT REASONS.

When you make blank statements like this, it's obvious your bias is overpowering:
Again I'll point out it hasn't even been in customers hands in any quantities. It is LITERALLY just a commercial. A thing that may turn out to live up to the hype. Maybe it won't. Either way, IT IS NOT YET KNOWN!

You're right that I'm biased. I want instant throttle response, spectacular, unique character, soulful sound and utter uniqueness. NONE of that comes with the N55/S55.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #684
Jockey
Brigadier General
Jockey's Avatar
United_States
2004
Rep
4,405
Posts

Drives: F80 SS/SS M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Park City, UT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
Again I'll point out it hasn't even been in customers hands in any quantities. It is LITERALLY just a commercial. A thing that may turn out to live up to the hype. Maybe it won't. Either way, IT IS NOT YET KNOWN!

You're right that I'm biased. I want instant throttle response, spectacular, unique character, soulful sound and utter uniqueness. NONE of that comes with the N55/S55.
It's been reviewed to death. Owners have taken delivery. Hell, owners have already taken it to the track.

Keep using N55 and S55 interchangeably, it continues to demonstrate your ignorance.


The F8X and S55 aren't for you? Fine. No one has a gun to your head.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #685
Kurt_OH
Captain
Kurt_OH's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
734
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
How so?
I'll start with the literal: you get "the S65 experience" from "the S65", not a 4cyl.


Quote:
It weights about 900 lbs less... is the autox king. Is the best driver's learner car available and comes with the best specific NA output per liter 4 cylinder engine in the world that also revs to 8300.
Yup. Cool car it is


Quote:
If it lacks on power; you add a comtech SC
No thanks. You lose me when you go there.


Quote:
where you will still be at a 1/3 of the price and it's near game over. The only thing the S65 has then sound and yada yada.
Well at least you're funny, but we apparently value things differently. The M3 delivers a lot more than the Honda. Is that what you have? You could even get a new mustang gt, sc it and be easy ahead of the new M cars in price and performance. Sounds like that may be the way you'd prefer to go.


Quote:
Oh and you also get relatively cheap Honda maintenance which is great for the track.
Probably true, though so far just brake pads and fuel ...


Quote:
But let me guess... its not a BMW then?
That's true and I do like BMWs. But I'm not looking for a track only car right now, nor an "only fun or interesting when I'm beating on it" car like the new M4. That's just another awesome thing about the S65 and S85. You know they're special every second they're running.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #686
Kurt_OH
Captain
Kurt_OH's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
734
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
It's been reviewed to death. Owners have taken delivery. Hell, owners have already taken it to the track.
Apparently YOU know all you need to know. I say a couple years of customer experience will fill out our knowledge nicely.


Quote:
Keep using N55 and S55 interchangeably, it continues to demonstrate your ignorance.
If that were true, you should have no problem rebutting my assertions without resorting to ad hominem.

Besides, that's your thought, not my statement. It would be crazy to say two 3L turbo motors from the same manufacturer, where one is admittedly based on the other, with the exact same displacement, available in the same car series, are similar.

They're not interchangeable; the N55 would need at least a tune and a larger radiator.


Quote:
The F8X and S55 aren't for you? Fine. No one has a gun to your head.
I never suggested anyone did (though it did happen to me a few decades ago, it was a robbery, not a car discussion! ).
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #687
ASAP
Bavarian Motor Works
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
2717
Rep
4,375
Posts

Drives: '20 M2C
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
How so?
I'll start with the literal: you get "the S65 experience" from "the S65", not a 4cyl.


Quote:
It weights about 900 lbs less... is the autox king. Is the best driver's learner car available and comes with the best specific NA output per liter 4 cylinder engine in the world that also revs to 8300.
Yup. Cool car it is


Quote:
If it lacks on power; you add a comtech SC
No thanks. You lose me when you go there.


Quote:
where you will still be at a 1/3 of the price and it's near game over. The only thing the S65 has then sound and yada yada.
Well at least you're funny, but we apparently value things differently. The M3 delivers a lot more than the Honda. Is that what you have? You could even get a new mustang gt, sc it and be easy ahead of the new M cars in price and performance. Sounds like that may be the way you'd prefer to go.


Quote:
Oh and you also get relatively cheap Honda maintenance which is great for the track.
Probably true, though so far just brake pads and fuel ...


Quote:
But let me guess... its not a BMW then?
That's true and I do like BMWs. But I'm not looking for a track only car right now, nor an "only fun or interesting when I'm beating on it" car like the new M4. That's just another awesome thing about the S65 and S85. You know they're special every second they're running.
Nah, I have a car that is mounds faster than yours and equal to the current m3... but i digress it's not the M experience lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #688
Jockey
Brigadier General
Jockey's Avatar
United_States
2004
Rep
4,405
Posts

Drives: F80 SS/SS M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Park City, UT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
Apparently YOU know all you need to know. I say a couple years of customer experience will fill out our knowledge nicely.
Well, if that's what you need, how about you STOP declaring the S55 inferior. If we don't have enough data points to declare the S55 "special" (whatever that really means), you also don't have enough facts to back up that it is inferior to the S65.

And until that day comes (in a few years from now), you can continue with your ignorant posts and ignore all the reviews and otherwise that rebuke your stance.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 11:14 PM   #689
Kurt_OH
Captain
Kurt_OH's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
734
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Well, if that's what you need, how about you STOP declaring the S55 inferior. If we don't have enough data points to declare the S55 "special" (whatever that really means), you also don't have enough facts to back up that it is inferior to the S65.

And until that day comes (in a few years from now), you can continue with your ignorant posts and ignore all the reviews and otherwise that rebuke your stance.
Call me a skeptic instead of a believer. I'm gonna need some proof to declare this thing the "fifth coming".
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 12:01 AM   #690
Epoustouflant
Private First Class
Epoustouflant's Avatar
32
Rep
102
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Quebec City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP
You know you can get that the S65 experience for a third of the price in an S2000. That car is more trackworthy than an m3 will almost ever be.
In the S65's defense, it is much easier to get a 4 cyl to rev than a V8.

Turbocharged 4 cyls easily rev to 8,000 RPM, doesn't make then anymore special IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 08:22 AM   #691
Kurt_OH
Captain
Kurt_OH's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
734
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

Whatever. I really like the S2000 also. Cool car.

I need a bigger garage and bigger toy budget!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #692
Ritz42
Private First Class
United_States
23
Rep
139
Posts

Drives: F22 & R56
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: 86Bro

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
A truck engine running at speeds every Honda achieves is never going to sound special. Good enough? Ok, fine, it'll sound as good as such a pedestrian design can support.

But, NO there is no universal appreciation of this low speed engine's muffled sound, and no legit track test has liked the throttle response.
Please let me know of any BMW engine that left the factory with a 8900 rpm redline, that doesn't hit fuel cut until 9300 rpms. As that's what the f20c in an AP1 s2000 rev's to.

Who was the first company to put titanium con rods in a road going, mass produced car? Honda. Who was the first company to use carbon fiber to as cylinder wall sleeves, again in a road going mass producation car? Honda.


Comparing a BMW motor to those of Honda is a compliment to BMW, not the other way around.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 03:48 PM   #693
ASAP
Bavarian Motor Works
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
2717
Rep
4,375
Posts

Drives: '20 M2C
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz42 View Post
Please let me know of any BMW engine that left the factory with a 8900 rpm redline, that doesn't hit fuel cut until 9300 rpms. As that's what the f20c in an AP1 s2000 rev's to.

Who was the first company to put titanium con rods in a road going, mass produced car? Honda. Who was the first company to use carbon fiber to as cylinder wall sleeves, again in a road going mass producation car? Honda.


Comparing a BMW motor to those of Honda is a compliment to BMW, not the other way around.
It gets better...

who built Ayrton Senna's F1 motors?

who co developed a car with an F1 driver? (NSX)

who has not built a single turbod production motor yet minus 1 that they got rid of but instead has preferred high revving NA motors?

And this guy is over here fanboying his S65 to the death.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 05:18 PM   #694
Kurt_OH
Captain
Kurt_OH's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
734
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz42 View Post
Please let me know of any BMW engine that left the factory with a 8900 rpm redline, that doesn't hit fuel cut until 9300 rpms. As that's what the f20c in an AP1 s2000 rev's to.

Who was the first company to put titanium con rods in a road going, mass produced car? Honda. Who was the first company to use carbon fiber to as cylinder wall sleeves, again in a road going mass producation car? Honda.


Comparing a BMW motor to those of Honda is a compliment to BMW, not the other way around.
1. I said I liked the S2000, but it's not the thread topic, and I didn't bring it into the discussion.

2. Try re-reading my comment, and rather than ignore that I clearly meant cars they produce today (note the word ACHIEVES, as in NOW), include that part of my meaning in your calculus and come back with all the road going V8s they produce that pull it off. Now put that number in the numerator, and all the other engines they produce in the denominator and post the fraction.

GOOSE EGG

Can we stop with the Honda crap now?
__________________
... a glorious V8 that screamed and hollered as the revs rose and then howled in an orgy of what sounded like BDSM ecstasy as it neared the red line.
Well, you can forget all that. The new car is fitted with a turbocharged straight six. Turbocharging? In an M car? Thatís like putting gravy on an ice cream.
- Jeremy Clarkson, discussing the S65 and then S55 M3 engines.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 09:31 PM   #695
rngrjag
Private First Class
29
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 ZCP 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

ASAP and Ritz 24: Great points about Honda. Too bad the AP1 had a whopping 153 lb ft of torque. Hence the AP2, which itself was no torque monster at 163 lb ft, I believe. If the greatest S65 criticism is low torque, surely the same applies to Honda N/A motors too.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 02:55 AM   #696
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
137
Rep
1,779
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: So. Cal

iTrader: (10)

will a S55 need future valve adjustment like the S54? One thing I love about my S65 is that it doesn't need valve adjustment as mileages get accumulated.

Last edited by Leonardo629; 06-30-2014 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 03:04 AM   #697
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
3758
Rep
15,415
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629 View Post
will a S55 need future valve adjustment like the S54? One thing I love about my S65 is that it doesn't need valve adjustment mileages get accumulated.
I wouldn't think so. There's no documentation that I have seen that states the S55 will need this.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 01:03 PM   #698
330indy
CCA member
330indy's Avatar
United_States
386
Rep
1,896
Posts

Drives: e46 + e92
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Indy

iTrader: (0)

Actually the S55 has roller bearings throughout the valvetrain/valvetronic mechanism which should be low friction, and it uses hydraulic lifters for valve clearance - auto adjustment. Keep your oil clean. That part is fairly low maintenance; much needed since the rest of the engine will require a close eye. Highly pressurized turbo motors that also run hot are inherently more "trouble" as the miles rack up. Go in with yours eyes open.
__________________
00 Z3 - Conforti, Magnaflow
02 330i ZSP - Dinan Stage3, Corsa
13 M3 ZCP - Corsa
3 pedals all, Redline fluids
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 01:06 PM   #699
ASAP
Bavarian Motor Works
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
2717
Rep
4,375
Posts

Drives: '20 M2C
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrjag View Post
ASAP and Ritz 24: Great points about Honda. Too bad the AP1 had a whopping 153 lb ft of torque. Hence the AP2, which itself was no torque monster at 163 lb ft, I believe. If the greatest S65 criticism is low torque, surely the same applies to Honda N/A motors too.
An S2000 has nearly no weight... so all things considered, I don't think that lightweight chassis needs a single bit more of TQ before it becomes unstable. An M3 in comparison is a heavy stable pig that could use way more.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 01:57 AM   #700
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
3758
Rep
15,415
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrjag View Post
ASAP and Ritz 24: Great points about Honda. Too bad the AP1 had a whopping 153 lb ft of torque. Hence the AP2, which itself was no torque monster at 163 lb ft, I believe. If the greatest S65 criticism is low torque, surely the same applies to Honda N/A motors too.
An S2000 has nearly no weight... so all things considered, I don't think that lightweight chassis needs a single bit more of TQ before it becomes unstable. An M3 in comparison is a heavy stable pig that could use way more.
We love our oinkers eh?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 02:29 AM   #701
deletedelete
Major General
deletedelete's Avatar
United_States
239
Rep
5,886
Posts

Drives: m
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: usa

iTrader: (14)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
Yep, a truck motor-powered car is faster than your E90 M3. U MAD BRO?
Actually yes I am.

I'm mad because I loved my Euro Deliveries, love the idea of getting another generation of M car, and loved the amazing, soulful, bespoke engines BMW M was offering. I'm mad all that is gone.

I'm not a fan of turbo lag, tuned non-M engines being passed off as "M-Power", pedestrian sounds augmented with the stereo (LOL) or short shifting at 5500 RPM, all of which are realities of the new Ms.

Mad it's faster? Heck no. I'm embarrassed and surprised it's not faster than it is. Like I said, the diesel Audi was dominating LeMans. Didn't make me want a diesel "performance" car either.

I WANTED to want the new M3/M4.
Amen
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #702
BMW M3 CRT
Lieutenant
BMW M3 CRT's Avatar
143
Rep
464
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

According to this thread:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1015603
... the old S65 4.0ltr.V8 is indeed al little bit lighter than the new S55 3.0ltr.I6TT - 202kg vs. 205kg !!!

Curious that BMW quotes an wrong weight for the S65 to bring the new engine below the weight of the old engine ... 202kg is for years now the official (BMW) weight of the S65 !?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #703
Kurt_OH
Captain
Kurt_OH's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
734
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M3 CRT View Post
According to this thread:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1015603
... the old S65 4.0ltr.V8 is indeed al little bit lighter than the new S55 3.0ltr.I6TT - 202kg vs. 205kg !!!

Curious that BMW quotes an wrong weight for the S65 to bring the new engine below the weight of the old engine ... 202kg is for years now the official (BMW) weight of the S65 !?
Hey, it's just like all the other claims about weight, like the new car is 200lbs less than the prior one!
__________________
... a glorious V8 that screamed and hollered as the revs rose and then howled in an orgy of what sounded like BDSM ecstasy as it neared the red line.
Well, you can forget all that. The new car is fitted with a turbocharged straight six. Turbocharging? In an M car? Thatís like putting gravy on an ice cream.
- Jeremy Clarkson, discussing the S65 and then S55 M3 engines.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 09:25 PM   #704
/// M sa
Major
/// M sa's Avatar
229
Rep
1,420
Posts

Drives: F80 MG
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Delmarva

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
Call me a skeptic instead of a believer. I'm gonna need some proof to declare this thing the "fifth coming".
Well the e92 was never the first, second, third or 4th coming in any sense and I dreaded driving that hog for a DD. No thanks you enjoy that e92 however Kurt while I enjoy my lighting quick s55 m3 that is inferior to the all might king e92m
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2014 bmw m3, 2014 bmw m3 horsepower, 2014 bmw m3 specs, 2014 bmw m4 horsepower, 2014 bmw m4 specs, 2014 m3, 2014 m3 engine, 2014 m3 forum, 2014 m3 horsepower, 2014 m3 hp, 2014 m3 specs, 2014 m3 weight, 2014 m4 engine, 2014 m4 horsepower, 2014 m4 hp, 2014 m4 specs, 2014 m4 weight, 2015 bmw m3, 2015 bmw m3 specs, 2015 bmw m4, 2015 bmw m4 specs, 2015 m3, 2015 m3 engine, 2015 m3 specs, 2015 m4, 2015 m4 engine, 2015 m4 hp, 2015 m4 specs, 2015 m4 weight, bmw f80, bmw f80 forum, bmw f80 forums, bmw f80 m3, bmw f80 m3 s55, bmw f80 m3 sedan, bmw f82, bmw f82 forum, bmw f82 forums, bmw f82 m3 coupe, bmw f82 m4, bmw f82 m4 coupe, bmw f82 m4 s55, bmw f82 m4 video, bmw f83, bmw f83 m3, bmw f83 m4, bmw m forum, bmw m forums, bmw m3 forum, bmw m3 forums, bmw m3 s55, bmw m3 s55 engine, bmw m4, bmw m4 coupe, bmw m4 coupe forum, bmw m4 forum, bmw m4 forums, bmw m4 horsepower, bmw m4 hp, bmw m4 redline, bmw m4 rev limit, bmw m4 rev limiter, bmw m4 weight, f80 m3, f82 m4

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST