Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-23-2014, 08:52 AM   #45
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I may be getting old but I found the V3 to be too stiff for me on my e92 as a street car. I longed for my EDC and actually was so happy when I put back my comp pack suspension. The KW performed amazing but I love my adjustable dampers for the street.

Except for ride height I have no issues with the stock adaptive.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #46
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08
I may be getting old but I found the V3 to be too stiff for me on my e92 as a street car. I longed for my EDC and actually was so happy when I put back my comp pack suspension. The KW performed amazing but I love my adjustable dampers for the street.

Except for ride height I have no issues with the stock adaptive.
No you just had your damper settings too hard mate.

No way OEM suspension can feel better than an accomplished coil over set up. Unless of course it's set up wrong
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #47
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob MG View Post

No way OEM suspension can feel better than an accomplished coil over set up. Unless of course it's set up wrong
They were all setup to the KW recommended settings. They handled better but if youre trying to say that KW ride better thats just not right.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 09:17 AM   #48
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08
Quote:

They were all setup to the KW recommended settings. They handled better but if youre trying to say that KW ride better thats just not right.
The recommended settings are merely a benchmark starting point. Also that's just the damper settings.

You need to play with these and find the right balance for the springs.

You also have to set up ride heights correctly. Adjustable suspension isn't meant to get the right look but rather to achieve the right balance. Corner weight set up is the way to achieve the perfect balance.

I've written elsewhere that when changing (lifting front ride height) the front harshness corrected and felt less jarring on my KW CS and actually felt very comfortable. When set up right, this will always be better than a fixed OEM non adjustable set up. Fact
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #49
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The recommended settings are merely a benchmark starting point. Also that's just the damper settings.

You need to play with these and find the right balance for the springs.

You also have to set up ride heights correctly. Adjustable suspension isn't meant to get the right look but rather to achieve the right balance. Corner weight set up is the way to achieve the perfect balance.

I've written elsewhere that when changing (lifting front ride height) the front harshness corrected and felt less jarring on my KW CS and actually felt very comfortable. When set up right, this will always be better than a fixed OEM non adjustable set up. Fact
My KW V3 were setup by Gran Turismo East. A very highly regarded shop and very well known around here. The suspension was setup properly.

Either you're not understanding what I'm saying or you're just nuts. My old E92 WITH EDC was MUCH more comfortable then my KW V3 were. Sorry but that's a fact.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #50
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 AW M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
My KW V3 were setup by Gran Turismo East. A very highly regarded shop and very well known around here. The suspension was setup properly.

Either you're not understanding what I'm saying or you're just nuts. My old E92 WITH EDC was MUCH more comfortable then my KW V3 were. Sorry but that's a fact.
Nobody is disputing the e92 with EDC is more comfortable, that is already a known fact. The suspension was designed on the softer side.

I haven't heard anyone with KW V3 say they adjusted a few clicks softer on rebound/compression settings using the recommended settings (for the f80 m3) as a starting point and give their feedback, with the exception of Bob MG and his club sports. I'm under the impression everyone has just left the settings at the recommended from KW and called it a day.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #51
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartelli View Post
Nobody is disputing the e92 with EDC is more comfortable, that is already a known fact. The suspension was designed on the softer side.

I haven't heard anyone with KW V3 say they adjusted a few clicks softer on rebound/compression settings using the recommended settings (for the f80 m3) as a starting point and give their feedback, with the exception of Bob MG and his club sports. I'm under the impression everyone has just left the settings at the recommended from KW and called it a day.
Thats exactly what Bob is disputing. I said I longed for the comfort of my EDC setup and he told me my KW was setup wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 10:29 PM   #52
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Lol I am nuts boys. Take no notice of me. I like firm suspension that works (hate bounciness). No water beds for me, so I suppose my opinion is a bit skewed.

When I want super comfort, I drive my Range Rover SC.

I don't recall my E92 with EDC feeling more comfortable than my V3 set up. Although because it was lowered and set up I felt it was fully compliant and worked outstandingly well. I suppose if I'm honest it wasn't as soft (comfortable per your description although every mans "comfort" is different) as EDC and STANDARD ride heights.....set to comfort, however in sport it was as comfortable. One thing I can tell you is that I never ever set the car and drove it in comfort EDC mode. Same goes with the F82 before my CS arrived. Only in sport plus and sometimes in sport.

So in summary, if you enjoy the soft EDC settings most of the time then no you will not find v3s more comfortable, in fact the opposite.

Still nuts
Appreciate 0