EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-30-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
cctm4me
First Lieutenant
cctm4me's Avatar
129
Rep
373
Posts

Drives: 2015 F82
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

People...Those are NOT my high beams

Edit: Solution - Rear drivers side leveler was turned almost 180 degrees. Adjusted back to factory spec and no people want to kill me any longer. I will not call them morons or bad people per a poster in this thread.


Hey Guys and Lups - I am having a bit of a problem lately and I need some opinions on the matter.

I have the bi-xenon headlights and I lowered the car on H&R sports last week.

Recently, I have been getting a number of people flashing their lights at me like I have my high beams on. Of course, I make it a point to flash the high beams back so the morons can see that I am not just driving around like some sort of lost ping pang trying to find my street.

It's really starting to annoy the fricken daylights out of me (yes that was a pun).

Can anyone chime in if they are having the same problem here or if they think that the levelers made be out of sorts due to the lowering of the car? Is it just because all the low rent honky-tonk rednecks aren't used to seeing some bright lights?

Thanks!
__________________
M4 - White Sex Panther
E46 M3 - Pablo the cocaine smuggling donkey

Last edited by cctm4me; 12-31-2014 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: Found Solution
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
Wei718
Captain
Wei718's Avatar
116
Rep
973
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hayward

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctm4me View Post
Hey Guys and Lups - I am having a bit of a problem lately and I need some opinions on the matter.

I have the bi-xenon headlights and I lowered the car on H&R sports last week.

Recently, I have been getting a number of people flashing their lights at me like I have my high beams on. Of course, I make it a point to flash the high beams back so the morons can see that I am not just driving around like some sort of lost ping pang trying to find my street.

It's really starting to annoy the fricken daylights out of me (yes that was a pun).

Can anyone chime in if they are having the same problem here or if they think that the levelers made be out of sorts due to the lowering of the car? Is it just because all the low rent honky-tonk rednecks aren't used to seeing some bright lights?

Thanks!
I can bet money on your installer didn't install the headlight leveler back on correctly in the rear suspension and that's why your headlight leveler is shooting up the sky. I haven't done research on this new platform yet but I assume it should be the same. Here's a few pic's I took when I made that same mistake when I installed my KW HAS kit on my E92 M3. There's a right way and a wrong way to install the arm. You can duck down to look at your rear suspension to see if it looks like anything like these pic's.

WRONG WAY!


RIGHT WAY!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
Jaymax85's Avatar
United_States
685
Rep
2,403
Posts

Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: 'Murica

iTrader: (5)

+1 on the leveler arm up side down
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 10:42 PM   #4
Longbow64
_______
Longbow64's Avatar
156
Rep
1,095
Posts

Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (4)

You could also make adjustments to the height with a torx screw at each side toward the front of the hood. Park the car on a level surface with the headlights on about 5 ft from a flat surface.
__________________
'13 35i M-Sport X3 | JB4 Stage 1 | BMS Intake | H&R Springs | Gloss black grill | CF Wrap and Coded by me | Recaro Child Seats
'15 M3 DCT AW/SO | JB Stage 1 | RKP Diffuser | P3 | M Perf Spoiler | iND Exterior Trim | Recaro Child Seat
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 10:50 PM   #5
Wei718
Captain
Wei718's Avatar
116
Rep
973
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hayward

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbow64 View Post
You could also make adjustments to the height with a torx screw at each side toward the front of the hood. Park the car on a level surface with the headlights on about 5 ft from a flat surface.
He shouldn't need to adjust the height of the headlights if his leveler is installed incorrectly. I would recommend leaving that as a last resort.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 11:25 PM   #6
Mr.MichaelM3
First Lieutenant
Mr.MichaelM3's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
352
Posts

Drives: 2015 AW F80 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dirty Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Funny cause my E90 M3 once I lowered it I had the same issue!!
__________________
2010 E90 M3 ESS-vt1 550 SOLD but never forgotten

2015 F80 M3: JB4 and MPE
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 03:19 AM   #7
Colinv6
Colonel
Colinv6's Avatar
United Kingdom
2297
Rep
2,207
Posts

Drives: San Marino Blue M4CS
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

My M135i did this after lowering it, I just took it into the dealers and told them I kept blinding people and they sorted it all under warranty.

I never mentioned the lowering a week before and they never asked lol
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 08:15 AM   #8
MasterC17
Captain
278
Rep
983
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei718 View Post
I can bet money on your installer didn't install the headlight leveler back on correctly in the rear suspension and that's why your headlight leveler is shooting up the sky. I haven't done research on this new platform yet but I assume it should be the same. Here's a few pic's I took when I made that same mistake when I installed my KW HAS kit on my E92 M3. There's a right way and a wrong way to install the arm. You can duck down to look at your rear suspension to see if it looks like anything like these pic's.
I would agree, but on the F8X the level sensor is on the left front, not the rear.
__________________
2009 X5d | 2007 E90 Track | 2002 M3 Track | 1991 535i Track
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
Wei718
Captain
Wei718's Avatar
116
Rep
973
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hayward

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterC17 View Post
I would agree, but on the F8X the level sensor is on the left front, not the rear.
Like I said previously I haven't done any research on this new platform yet so I am not 100% sure however I was looking through your DIY page and your 3rd picture shows a leveler right next to the springs on the left side. Take a look again.

Usually BMW have 2 sensors for the headlights. Front one is for the adaptive(swiveling) and the rear is vertically adjusted depending on the load that's in the car. That's usually where the problem comes from is from the rear.

Edit: to make it easier I copied your picture from your suspension DIY thread. See the arm right behind the shock? That should be the leveler and is held on possibly by a 10mm nut if they hadn't changed it.



Edit again: I am 100% positive that there is an sensor and leveler in the rear. Here's a chart from real oem showing the parts.



Good luck with your fix OP! I would target the rear suspension first before manually adjusting your headlamps.

Last edited by Wei718; 12-31-2014 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 11:48 AM   #10
Lups
...
Lups's Avatar
10933
Rep
15,288
Posts

Drives: I don't own a car.
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lost as usual

iTrader: (0)

Quick, someone tell me how to fix my issues with the less too, and this will be the most useful thread on the whole forum!

I'm sorry op, it is truly annoying when the headlights are not working properly. I wish you more luck than I have had, I'm now mainly a daytime driver.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
You're still a little new here, so I'll let you in on a little secret. Whenever Lups types gibberish, this is an opportunity for you to imagine it to be whatever you'd like it to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
How would you know this? Did mommy catch you jerking off to some Big Foot porn ?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 11:57 AM   #11
cctm4me
First Lieutenant
cctm4me's Avatar
129
Rep
373
Posts

Drives: 2015 F82
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei718 View Post
Like I said previously I haven't done any research on this new platform yet so I am not 100% sure however I was looking through your DIY page and your 3rd picture shows a leveler right next to the springs on the left side. Take a look again.

Usually BMW have 2 sensors for the headlights. Front one is for the adaptive(swiveling) and the rear is vertically adjusted depending on the load that's in the car. That's usually where the problem comes from is from the rear.

Edit: to make it easier I copied your picture from your suspension DIY thread. See the arm right behind the shock? That should be the leveler and is held on possibly by a 10mm nut if they hadn't changed it.



Edit again: I am 100% positive that there is an sensor and leveler in the rear. Here's a chart from real oem showing the parts.



Good luck with your fix OP! I would target the rear suspension first before manually adjusting your headlamps.

Thanks for the info. Will try and crawl under the car this afternoon and have a look. I did confirm there is a leveler on the front and the rear. The shop said to me on the phone that they generally only disconnect the front one and not the back. That is strange to me if we are thinking the the leveler in the back is the one that controls height.

Not even sure what that gif was but It gave me the strangest boner!
__________________
M4 - White Sex Panther
E46 M3 - Pablo the cocaine smuggling donkey
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 01:32 PM   #12
rubber_ducky
Colonel
rubber_ducky's Avatar
347
Rep
2,954
Posts

Drives: roach coach
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: boston-ish

iTrader: (21)

I think it's funny that you refer to the people who flash you as morons and you say that this annoys you.

These people are flashing you because your headlights aren't leveled and they're annoyed that they're being temporarily blinded. They aren't the morons here. If anything, the person(s) who messed up your install is a moron. But even that's a bit harsh.

Don't perpetuate the BMW-driver stereotype.
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2014, 01:48 PM   #13
cctm4me
First Lieutenant
cctm4me's Avatar
129
Rep
373
Posts

Drives: 2015 F82
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
I think it's funny that you refer to the people who flash you as morons and you say that this annoys you.

These people are flashing you because your headlights aren't leveled and they're annoyed that they're being temporarily blinded. They aren't the morons here. If anything, the person(s) who messed up your install is a moron. But even that's a bit harsh.

Don't perpetuate the BMW-driver stereotype.

You took the time to post something of this nature because you just felt like not being helpful and wanted to try and put together some sort world peace lecture? Thanks for glowing insight on how I should approach situations of this nature in the future.

I am actually one of the more considerate people that you will ever meet. I feel bad that I am blinding them and hence the reason I want to get it taken care of asap. I do NOT flash my lights at someone that may have inadvertently left their high beams on, nor do I drive in their direction (which has now happened twice) as I know that it creates the same sort of situation for them in return.

Again, thanks for taking the time to tell me how I should and shouldn't speak of people. I will be more mindful in the future and certainly save your post to read to my grandchildren as the voice of reason - all praise be to allah
__________________
M4 - White Sex Panther
E46 M3 - Pablo the cocaine smuggling donkey
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 01:59 PM   #14
rubber_ducky
Colonel
rubber_ducky's Avatar
347
Rep
2,954
Posts

Drives: roach coach
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: boston-ish

iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctm4me View Post
You took the time to post something of this nature because you just felt like not being helpful and wanted to try and put together some sort world peace lecture? Thanks for glowing insight on how I should approach situations of this nature in the future.

I am actually one of the more considerate people that you will ever meet. I feel bad that I am blinding them and hence the reason I want to get it taken care of asap. I do NOT flash my lights at someone that may have inadvertently left their high beams on, nor do I drive in their direction (which has now happened twice) as I know that it creates the same sort of situation for them in return.

Again, thanks for taking the time to tell me how I should and shouldn't speak of people. I will be more mindful in the future and certainly save your post to read to my grandchildren as the voice of reason - all praise be to allah
You're welcome. Happy to help.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 02:45 PM   #15
Wei718
Captain
Wei718's Avatar
116
Rep
973
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hayward

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctm4me View Post
Thanks for the info. Will try and crawl under the car this afternoon and have a look. I did confirm there is a leveler on the front and the rear. The shop said to me on the phone that they generally only disconnect the front one and not the back. That is strange to me if we are thinking the the leveler in the back is the one that controls height.

Not even sure what that gif was but It gave me the strangest boner!
It makes total sense for the vertical sensor to be in the rear as the rear can only travel up and down. The front sensor is connected directly to the control which turns along the steering.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 03:10 PM   #16
cctm4me
First Lieutenant
cctm4me's Avatar
129
Rep
373
Posts

Drives: 2015 F82
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei718 View Post
It makes total sense for the vertical sensor to be in the rear as the rear can only travel up and down. The front sensor is connected directly to the control which turns along the steering.
Oh I agree. What I was saying was the strange thing was that they said they do not touch the one in the back normally. Not the location of it.
__________________
M4 - White Sex Panther
E46 M3 - Pablo the cocaine smuggling donkey
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 05:03 PM   #17
cctm4me
First Lieutenant
cctm4me's Avatar
129
Rep
373
Posts

Drives: 2015 F82
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Quick, someone tell me how to fix my issues with the less too, and this will be the most useful thread on the whole forum!

I'm sorry op, it is truly annoying when the headlights are not working properly. I wish you more luck than I have had, I'm now mainly a daytime driver.
Crisis averted...I can now drive at night without fear of the rednecks in big trucks running me off the road.
__________________
M4 - White Sex Panther
E46 M3 - Pablo the cocaine smuggling donkey
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 05:25 PM   #18
Lups
...
Lups's Avatar
10933
Rep
15,288
Posts

Drives: I don't own a car.
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lost as usual

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctm4me View Post
Crisis averted...I can now drive at night without fear of the rednecks in big trucks running me off the road.
They'll never catch you, use the right pedal!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
You're still a little new here, so I'll let you in on a little secret. Whenever Lups types gibberish, this is an opportunity for you to imagine it to be whatever you'd like it to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
How would you know this? Did mommy catch you jerking off to some Big Foot porn ?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 07:14 PM   #19
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
myzmak's Avatar
Canada
2217
Rep
3,372
Posts

Drives: Lucy.
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [5.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctm4me View Post
You took the time to post something of this nature because you just felt like not being helpful and wanted to try and put together some sort world peace lecture? Thanks for glowing insight on how I should approach situations of this nature in the future.

I am actually one of the more considerate people that you will ever meet. I feel bad that I am blinding them and hence the reason I want to get it taken care of asap. I do NOT flash my lights at someone that may have inadvertently left their high beams on, nor do I drive in their direction (which has now happened twice) as I know that it creates the same sort of situation for them in return.

Again, thanks for taking the time to tell me how I should and shouldn't speak of people. I will be more mindful in the future and certainly save your post to read to my grandchildren as the voice of reason - all praise be to allah
Flashing isn't a bad thing - it alerts you to an issue. Put another way, if they weren't doing it, you wouldn't know you had a problem.
__________________
Drivin' Lucy
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 07:16 PM   #20
Wei718
Captain
Wei718's Avatar
116
Rep
973
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hayward

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctm4me View Post
Crisis averted...I can now drive at night without fear of the rednecks in big trucks running me off the road.
Does this mean you got it taken care of?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 07:27 PM   #21
cctm4me
First Lieutenant
cctm4me's Avatar
129
Rep
373
Posts

Drives: 2015 F82
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei718 View Post
Does this mean you got it taken care of?
Yes sir!!!! Thanks very much for your info. It was perfect and I am back to normal.
__________________
M4 - White Sex Panther
E46 M3 - Pablo the cocaine smuggling donkey
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 06:50 PM   #22
MasterC17
Captain
278
Rep
983
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei718 View Post
Like I said previously I haven't done any research on this new platform yet so I am not 100% sure however I was looking through your DIY page and your 3rd picture shows a leveler right next to the springs on the left side. Take a look again.
Nope, you're correct, my bad. But the rear leveling sensor does not have to be removed to do the suspension, whereas the front does...interesting.
__________________
2009 X5d | 2007 E90 Track | 2002 M3 Track | 1991 535i Track
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST