European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-22-2019, 05:33 PM   #1
rborane
First Lieutenant
30
Rep
311
Posts

Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Phoenix AZ

iTrader: (1)

Powerflex differential bushings

Anyone have any feedback or experience with these bushings and either the street or race durometer?

Thinking of getting a set for my M4.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 08:48 AM   #2
jacobe92
Major
jacobe92's Avatar
United_States
439
Rep
1,073
Posts

Drives: 2016 Hell Rot F80 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: California

iTrader: (6)

Polyurethane abs Steel

I know it doesn't answer to your question, but I get it why you would choose the polyurethane over the steel bushings. Noise level for steel is minimal and and in a short time your brain learns how to tune it out. Frankly, I don't hear it anymore unless I look for it. I went with the Fall Line Steel Mono-Balls and Rear Upper Arm Steel Bushings ( Diagram 1 & 21). Fall Line is a trusted premier fabricator for M3's and Porsche's race parts, and they know what they're doing over there. IMO, pay a little more and get a superior product w/ great reviews.
Attached Images
  
__________________
2016 Hellrot F80 M3|JRZ RS Pro with Swift Springs 550/750 spring rates l AP Radical 5000R 9668/9449 lSpiegler SS LinesI DS1.11I Eisenmann DP|MPE Catback|18" Forgeline GS1R 18x10 et 22 and 18x11 et 44 NT01 275/35/18 and 305/35/18| Forgeline GTD1 18x10et43 SquarelM Performance Lip/Splitter|IND aesthetic mods|Dinan Toe Link|Fall Line mono ball conversion kit and upper link kit| Aim Solo 2DL Smarty Cam|Simpson Hybrid|Stilo Offshore helmet.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #3
rborane
First Lieutenant
30
Rep
311
Posts

Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Phoenix AZ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobe92 View Post
I know it doesn't answer to your question, but I get it why you would choose the polyurethane over the steel bushings. Noise level for steel is minimal and and in a short time your brain learns how to tune it out. Frankly, I don't hear it anymore unless I look for it. I went with the Fall Line Steel Mono-Balls and Rear Upper Arm Steel Bushings ( Diagram 1 & 21). Fall Line is a trusted premier fabricator for M3's and Porsche's race parts, and they know what they're doing over there. IMO, pay a little more and get a superior product w/ great reviews.
Thanks. Was looking to replace those as well front and rear, how do you like them?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 11:48 AM   #4
jacobe92
Major
jacobe92's Avatar
United_States
439
Rep
1,073
Posts

Drives: 2016 Hell Rot F80 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: California

iTrader: (6)

Steel Bushings

They're phenomenal. The steering feel of the M3/M4 is already very good to begin with. The Mono Balls takes it to new heights. Aside from the faint humming noise it makes, I now feel more in tune w/ the road. So, if small faint noises bother you, don't get steel bushings. Hope my insight helps you a little. Cheers
__________________
2016 Hellrot F80 M3|JRZ RS Pro with Swift Springs 550/750 spring rates l AP Radical 5000R 9668/9449 lSpiegler SS LinesI DS1.11I Eisenmann DP|MPE Catback|18" Forgeline GS1R 18x10 et 22 and 18x11 et 44 NT01 275/35/18 and 305/35/18| Forgeline GTD1 18x10et43 SquarelM Performance Lip/Splitter|IND aesthetic mods|Dinan Toe Link|Fall Line mono ball conversion kit and upper link kit| Aim Solo 2DL Smarty Cam|Simpson Hybrid|Stilo Offshore helmet.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 02:10 PM   #5
rborane
First Lieutenant
30
Rep
311
Posts

Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Phoenix AZ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobe92 View Post
They're phenomenal. The steering feel of the M3/M4 is already very good to begin with. The Mono Balls takes it to new heights. Aside from the faint humming noise it makes, I now feel more in tune w/ the road. So, if small faint noises bother you, don't get steel bushings. Hope my insight helps you a little. Cheers
Thanks. Are those the only rear upper control arm bushings that are made as upgrades for our cars or are there other ones to look at as well?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 10:49 AM   #6
jacobe92
Major
jacobe92's Avatar
United_States
439
Rep
1,073
Posts

Drives: 2016 Hell Rot F80 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: California

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobe92 View Post
They're phenomenal. The steering feel of the M3/M4 is already very good to begin with. The Mono Balls takes it to new heights. Aside from the faint humming noise it makes, I now feel more in tune w/ the road. So, if small faint noises bother you, don't get steel bushings. Hope my insight helps you a little. Cheers
Thanks. Are those the only rear upper control arm bushings that are made as upgrades for our cars or are there other ones to look at as well?
I also have the Dinan Rear Suspension Link Kit too. IMO, complements well with the rear steel bushings. Mine feels like an animal during hard breaking and acceleration. Sloppy does not come to mind to describe my suspension set up. Happy Modding 👍
__________________
2016 Hellrot F80 M3|JRZ RS Pro with Swift Springs 550/750 spring rates l AP Radical 5000R 9668/9449 lSpiegler SS LinesI DS1.11I Eisenmann DP|MPE Catback|18" Forgeline GS1R 18x10 et 22 and 18x11 et 44 NT01 275/35/18 and 305/35/18| Forgeline GTD1 18x10et43 SquarelM Performance Lip/Splitter|IND aesthetic mods|Dinan Toe Link|Fall Line mono ball conversion kit and upper link kit| Aim Solo 2DL Smarty Cam|Simpson Hybrid|Stilo Offshore helmet.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 04:52 AM   #7
MPOOR
First Lieutenant
MPOOR's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
355
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 / WHITE
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: S.F bay area

iTrader: (0)

you should get it ~ OEM rear diff bushing is soft as a Tofu, getting ready to rupture eventually. OEM rear diff bushing life reduced significantly on Tuned M4s and M3s. Go with Black Series !! Total lock down rear end feel with much immediate forward momentum when you open up the throttle .
One of the best investment.

I had to replace my Soft ToFu like OEM bushing.
Attached Images
   
__________________
What shall i buy for my next track toy
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 09:29 AM   #8
rborane
First Lieutenant
30
Rep
311
Posts

Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Phoenix AZ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOOR View Post
you should get it ~ OEM rear diff bushing is soft as a Tofu, getting ready to rupture eventually. OEM rear diff bushing life reduced significantly on Tuned M4s and M3s. Go with Black Series !! Total lock down rear end feel with much immediate forward momentum when you open up the throttle .
One of the best investment.

I had to replace my Soft ToFu like OEM bushing.
How’s the vibrations or noise with the black series bushings? You did the front ones as well?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 11:30 AM   #9
Brasko
#LSBM3
Brasko's Avatar
No_Country
1246
Rep
1,847
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW M3 CP
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Oregon / Florida

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOOR View Post
you should get it ~ OEM rear diff bushing is soft as a Tofu, getting ready to rupture eventually. OEM rear diff bushing life reduced significantly on Tuned M4s and M3s. Go with Black Series !! Total lock down rear end feel with much immediate forward momentum when you open up the throttle .
One of the best investment.

I had to replace my Soft ToFu like OEM bushing.

Did you replace the bushing yourself? How difficult was it? I have been considering this upgrade, but not sure if I want to tackle it myself or bring it in to BMW.
__________________


2016 Laguna Seca Blue /// M3 CP -- AntonioBrasko.com -- IG: @AntonioBrasko
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 12:25 PM   #10
jacobe92
Major
jacobe92's Avatar
United_States
439
Rep
1,073
Posts

Drives: 2016 Hell Rot F80 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: California

iTrader: (6)

Hey Bud. I like it! How many hours of labor did the shop charge you for install. Thanks
__________________
2016 Hellrot F80 M3|JRZ RS Pro with Swift Springs 550/750 spring rates l AP Radical 5000R 9668/9449 lSpiegler SS LinesI DS1.11I Eisenmann DP|MPE Catback|18" Forgeline GS1R 18x10 et 22 and 18x11 et 44 NT01 275/35/18 and 305/35/18| Forgeline GTD1 18x10et43 SquarelM Performance Lip/Splitter|IND aesthetic mods|Dinan Toe Link|Fall Line mono ball conversion kit and upper link kit| Aim Solo 2DL Smarty Cam|Simpson Hybrid|Stilo Offshore helmet.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 10:25 PM   #11
knightarmor
Captain
405
Rep
887
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Washington

iTrader: (0)

More pics of this swap would be awesome!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 09:52 PM   #12
MPOOR
First Lieutenant
MPOOR's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
355
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 / WHITE
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: S.F bay area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
How’s the vibrations or noise with the black series bushings? You did the front ones as well?
Based on what I noticed I wouldn't say it increases NVH.
It makes the car feel more tight on rear end, when opening throttle.

Yes both front and rear.
__________________
What shall i buy for my next track toy
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 09:54 PM   #13
MPOOR
First Lieutenant
MPOOR's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
355
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 / WHITE
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: S.F bay area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasko View Post
Did you replace the bushing yourself? How difficult was it? I have been considering this upgrade, but not sure if I want to tackle it myself or bring it in to BMW.
I had my shop do it.
I wouldnt recommend DIY rear differential bushing replace, unless you have a fully loaded personal garage.
You will have to remove CF Drive shaft and quit a lot of rear end stuff to drop the Mdiff.
You wil have to remove both rear CV Joints.

I wouldn't visit Stealers ~ I would just have a reputable BMW Indy shop ~ pretty easy maintenance and no reason to pay extra ~ for labor.
__________________
What shall i buy for my next track toy
Appreciate 1
Brasko1245.50

      11-30-2019, 09:58 PM   #14
MPOOR
First Lieutenant
MPOOR's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
355
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 / WHITE
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: S.F bay area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobe92 View Post
Hey Bud. I like it! How many hours of labor did the shop charge you for install. Thanks
shoot. I got it done for free.

If you do it non stop and assuming no surprises ~ I would say about 3 to 4 Hours Job.
__________________
What shall i buy for my next track toy
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 08:13 PM   #15
Brasko
#LSBM3
Brasko's Avatar
No_Country
1246
Rep
1,847
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW M3 CP
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Oregon / Florida

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOOR View Post
I had my shop do it.
I wouldnt recommend DIY rear differential bushing replace, unless you have a fully loaded personal garage.
You will have to remove CF Drive shaft and quit a lot of rear end stuff to drop the Mdiff.
You wil have to remove both rear CV Joints.

I wouldn't visit Stealers ~ I would just have a reputable BMW Indy shop ~ pretty easy maintenance and no reason to pay extra ~ for labor.

Gotcha! Sounds like it could be a PITA if you don't have the right tools and maybe a lift. I'll hold off for now. Might look into this when the OEM wears out.

Thank you for the insight. Much appreciated!
__________________


2016 Laguna Seca Blue /// M3 CP -- AntonioBrasko.com -- IG: @AntonioBrasko
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 03:28 PM   #16
Geez3
Enlisted Member
Geez3's Avatar
17
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Fort Lauderdale

iTrader: (0)

I got quoted roughly 6 hours from my local Indy shop.

If you are dropping the Diff, they recommend changing the Axle Seals while you are in there. No extra charge for the labor, as Diff, Exhaust, Driveshaft are already dropped out.

Still debating whether I want to tackle this on my Quickjack lift. The only piece that is of concern is the press in and out of the bushings. The rest is straight forward.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST