proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

02-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
K81M3
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

2016 M3 F80 - Used Purchase Advice

**Reposting under UK Region also**

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice, have seen a 2016 (Registered Jun 16) plate M3 F80 at my local UK dealer and has the BMW Manufacture Approved Used guarantee. It is the perfect spec (other than it doesn't have Privacy glass)and has 20k miles. Has 1.5 years warranty remaining and next 3 years of services included as it had a 5 year service place from new. Few things that I'm not sure of, so looking for help.

- It had a diff/axle error come up at delivery, apparently a bulletin from BMW also that required the axle/diff to be changed due to an original design fault. Is this true? Anyone else had this.

- It had a rear off side wheel bearing replaced at 10,000 miles, dealers said nothing else was evidently wrong with the car and was done under warranty. This seems very odd to me, wheel bearing going on a new car with 10k miles and that too a M3. What are your thoughts?

- Low oil level light error came up when the car had done 11,000 miles, was sorted and never has come up again. Should I be concerned.

-Front light error at 12,000 miles, it has the LED adaptive iconic headlamps, dealer hasn't mentioned what the actual problem and fix was.

- Will I be able to get decent tints done to overcome the privacy thing, never done tints before and I want the utmost OEM look where it covers the dot matrix and heating elements on the back screen properly. Any one done this on theirs, does it come out looking decent and not a poor modification

Anything else I should be looking out for when buying a used M3, anything to listen out for on a test drive, any particular tests I should do. Are there any other common problems, I've read something about engine crank hub issues. Is that really an issue for the new M3's

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as the car is only 1.5 years old so not cheap and although it has warranty, don't want to end up with one which will be in and out of garage, them having to take it apart and put together right etc.

Thanks in Advance all
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #2
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Absolutely correct about the diff recall. Mine was delivered Jun 2016 and there was a lot of hype on the net about diff recalls. So I took mine into my dealer a month after I had it and they took it off me. 9 weeks later got it back with a new diff fitted.
I believe it affected potentially thousands of m cars around the world... hence the long wait for it to be replaced.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m3...obile&ie=UTF-8

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 02:09 PM   #3
K81M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Absolutely correct about the diff recall. Mine was delivered Jun 2016 and there was a lot of hype on the net about diff recalls. So I took mine into my dealer a month after I had it and they took it off me. 9 weeks later got it back with a new diff fitted.
I believe it affected potentially thousands of m cars around the world... hence the long wait for it to be replaced.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m3...obile&ie=UTF-8
wow 9 weeks - how would I know if they actually replaced it under the campaign or whether it was just a check to see all ok?

Any thoughts on the rest of the stuff, especially the bearing?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 02:34 PM   #4
notused
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: none

Mine is a Jan 2016 with 28k miles and had zero issues and warning lights. The thing you need to look out for is the thing you can never know - how it's been driven and treated. How many owners has it had? Any record of tyres replaced and when? Do the obvious Google search for the number plate to see if there are any silly videos out there.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 02:43 PM   #5
K81M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4inch View Post
Mine is a Jan 2016 with 28k miles and had zero issues and warning lights. The thing you need to look out for is the thing you can never know - how it's been driven and treated. How many owners has it had? Any record of tyres replaced and when? Do the obvious Google search for the number plate to see if there are any silly videos out there.
Well I asked about any reports of when they took the car in on how it had been driven, but they said this is no longer available now as it was checked on screen at the time.

It's got 2 previous owners, 1 was the sales director himself (3 months) and 2nd was one the dealers corporate business account holder, mature gentlemen. Rear tyres have 5mm after 20k, I assume they have been changed at some point, unless they have only used 3mm on the rear over 20k (believe new is 8mm) - doubt it, and the front are brand new
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #6
notused
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: none

Re the tints, I had them done on my e92 and the dot matrix part wasn't done well. I avoid cars without sun protection option for this reason.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 02:57 PM   #7
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

It'll be an ex demo they always say the sales director had it when it was in fact a demo car.

Not saying that it's a bad car but it isn't even the exact spec you want and most have privacy.

Mines a Feb 2016 with 65k on it, nothing has gone wrong/broken, no oil used in between services and my tyres last 25-30k.

Sounds like you're unsure of the car, I'd get one you are sure about, so many to choose from.
      02-13-2018, 03:18 PM   #8
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Mine was pre-registered to the Group One (Barons/Chandlers) group Director and as other say, any registered car will be used as a demo at some point. Many dealers don't lend out M cars although I've been given a few for long weekends from my place.

I haven't looked at where you're located but I always had tints done at 'South Coast Tints' in Southampton. Perfect every time and work travelling; Phil is a perfectionist.

Oil light - my car has 8,500 miles and the level is between half an minimum. The warning will come up soon so I'll take it in for a top up - I don't see the warning being an issue, these engines use oil I assume!

Wheel bearing - I had one of these fail on my F30 335d, made a grinding noise. Could have left it but they replaced it so it does happen.

I would be tempted to ask the dealer to have the windows tinted - they'll have contacts.....
      02-13-2018, 03:25 PM   #9
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Maybe its just me but engines that use oil haven't been properly run in, the only M car I've had that used oil enough to top up 1 litre in between services was a demo car.

They don't get treated well.
      02-13-2018, 06:51 PM   #10
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
wow 9 weeks - how would I know if they actually replaced it under the campaign or whether it was just a check to see all ok?

Any thoughts on the rest of the stuff, especially the bearing?
With regards the diff, they should have a record it was replaced, I would have thought.

No problems with bearings on mine.

The other issues that come to mind is knocking rear suspension, although I'm not sure its thats only a Competition Pack issue. Mine did it and they replaced a rear shock. Still knocks a bit now at low speed over bumpy roads.

A couple of guys on here had serious problems with knocking noises that their dealer just couldn't fix. They rejected their cars.

All 2016 CP cars.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 07:59 AM   #11
K81M3
Private
Rep

Thanks all for your input, I decided to not go for the car in the end, did a internet search, paid for a report and found the car had been registered under a different number plate, did a search on that reg and found things that I wasn't comfortable with.

I've seen a Black pre-reg one now - but as Silverstone was my favorite colour, I'm still trying to convince myself haha.

Can't find any other Silverstone's which are non-comp pack, and nothing within BMW UK stock or pre-regs. Factory order I can't do as production ends in may with Silverstone now apparently an individual colour, plus the new ones come with a steel drive shaft and I'd want the ones which were manufactured up until late last year with carbon drive shafts.

So its either this black pre-reg or Mineral grey in BMW UK stock (currently unregisted) if I'm going newish....Choices choices hey
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 08:14 AM   #12
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 YMB Coupe

Just go for Yas Marina Blue. Its the fastest colour!

Good luck with the search though, this one no good?
https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...8-7acb444c8829

or this
https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...b-ad752880768f

This one looks a nice spec;
https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...7-f5af1f5eecb5

Last edited by chedixon; 02-15-2018 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 11:49 AM   #13
K81M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedixon View Post
Just go for Yas Marina Blue. Its the fastest colour!

Good luck with the search though, this one no good?
https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...8-7acb444c8829

or this
https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...b-ad752880768f

This one looks a nice spec;
https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...7-f5af1f5eecb5
Thanks for the links, first one doesn't have the carbon trim or HK system, and the plastic door handles instead of leather

The Second one is perfect but again no HK System

The third though is worth considering, I'd just have to sell those wheels and buy the 437m Jet black ones, if it's not too much trouble that is
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 12:00 PM   #14
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 YMB Coupe

If they have another in group with the black 437 wheels you might get them to swap? Either that or pick a set up off eBay and fit winter tyres to one of the sets. I haven’t got winters yet but after running mine this winter on mpss I’ll definitely be looking for a winter wheel/tyre set next year

Hope you find something, they are great cars
      02-15-2018, 03:38 PM   #15
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the links, first one doesn't have the carbon trim or HK system, and the plastic door handles instead of leather
Plastic door handles, that's weird I wonder why.
      02-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #16
K81M3
Private
Rep

I've now seen a Sapphire Black with the jet black 437m wheels, perfect spec, clean car, done a history check also from an approved BMW dealer. I now need to decide di I go for the perfect car but in Black or wait for a Silverstone. I quite like the black in flesh, don't think pictures does it justice, just trying to workout if the whole black wheels on a black car is ok?

Any thoughts - what are people's experience whoever has the above combo?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 02:37 PM   #17
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I've now seen a Sapphire Black with the jet black 437m wheels, perfect spec, clean car, done a history check also from an approved BMW dealer. I now need to decide di I go for the perfect car but in Black or wait for a Silverstone. I quite like the black in flesh, don't think pictures does it justice, just trying to workout if the whole black wheels on a black car is ok?

Any thoughts - what are people's experience whoever has the above combo?
You can always change the wheels later. If the car ticks all your boxes then don't miss out. Black looks fine.
There are usually compromises to be made buying 2nd hand. Unless you wait months for the right car!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 06:20 PM   #18
Paul SR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Touring

I originally wanted Mineral Grey but then I saw one in Sapphire Black and the colour is awesome (a pig to clean). Didn't like the Silverstone and hated the frozen/matt paint!If you are using BMW dealer and financing - you may want to avoid using Black Horse finance as expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 08:52 AM   #19
K81M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul SR View Post
I originally wanted Mineral Grey but then I saw one in Sapphire Black and the colour is awesome (a pig to clean). Didn't like the Silverstone and hated the frozen/matt paint!If you are using BMW dealer and financing - you may want to avoid using Black Horse finance as expensive.
What wheels did you get on your Black, Ferris Grey or the Jet Black. I'm trying to avoid that pure black on black look and not sure if the 437m Jet blacks fall under that category when on Sapphire Black.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 05:13 PM   #20
Paul SR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Touring

Cool

Quote:
What wheels did you get on your Black, Ferris Grey or the Jet Black. I'm trying to avoid that pure black on black look and not sure if the 437m Jet blacks fall under that category when on Sapphire Black.
Have the black multi spoke 666 alloys which seem to polarise opinion but I like them although they are a pig to clean! Gives the overall look subtle aggression and much prefer to the silver finish. Just added BMS black exhaust tips today as larger than standard and they look awesome
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 03:36 PM   #21
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Is nobody on here selling one? A good place to start, and I will be looking here when i'm back in the market :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 05:06 AM   #22
K81M3
Private
Rep

So I've put down a deposit on a Silverstone II, perfect spec just minus the full leather, i.e dash and door tops and more importantly has ferric grey wheels. Although they are not bad, i just think the 437m in Jet black just suit the Silverstone II more. I've got another thread open on trying to gauge how much i could sell the ferric grey for, if i do switch wheels, if in the future i have issues with my wheels, i'll have no warranty as they won't be the original wheels on the car. Any other warranty issues it could cause by changing the wheels vs. factory build spec. If i decide to go ahead and switch wheels, what my are my options?

- Sell and buy jet black second hand. How would i authenticate how genuine the wheels are, not been buckled or returned, warranty etc

- Find someone here who may want to trade a straight swap, whats the likelihood?

- sell ferric grey and buy brand new jet blacks, cost of new are in the regions of £3.5k

- some people have mentioned refurb, but not sure if the process makes them look less genuine/finish, reliability vs. stock wheels and if the process such as baking weakens the wheel etc?

Sorry guys - new to all of this wheel scenario, just want the car to be perfect and as OEM as factory

Last edited by K81M3; 02-24-2018 at 07:26 AM..
Appreciate 0