ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

View Poll Results: Do the new M3/M4 have your vote?
Yes 94 87.85%
No 13 12.15%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

01-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #23
jpmaze23
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 Jerez Black M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelowery View Post
S/C V8 600+ V8 screaming horse VS a 3.0L Line 6. ummmm yaaaa. i am skipping this gen also. and the next gen. ROFL

I don't even blame you bro! I sold my M3 last year to see what pops up in 2015, and lets just say I would probably be more inclined to buy an LCI E92 M3 and put a S/C on it before I dish money out on what will probably be the first unreliable M3/M4, not saying it won't be reliable, but there's a good chance it won't be with BMW's turbo history. Just the thought of having that M3 sitting in the dealer for a month makes me cringe! , especially considering most of the BMW techs are never up to par on training on M cars. It's hard finding those techs that really know what they're doing or have competent training. It's the reason people who were having DCT leak problems were having the whole damn transmission replaced instead of having it worked on. Most of those techs only know how to work well on regular 3series, 5series, etc. This is why this could become a nightmare when problems occur, and why people find themselves in a rental for a month without resolve at times. I know most people will buy the car and think "it won't happen to me, cause it's not common" think again, With BMW your chances are always good

I also don't mean to be talking down on BMW and piss on the excitement of the new car, but these are solid things to think about before dishing out around 70-80k on what basically is a 435i on mild steroids. The fact that the engine is being based around the N54 is a joke. This engine is going to require milestone calibration $$$, and also will probably eventually require a clean up from carbon build up, which is what all turbo BMW's eventually will require if you own it long enough to experience these things. For those that don't know, BMW engines have compatibility problems with gasoline in the U.S. All the ethanol and sulfur they add to gasoline is what caused and is causing that big problem with the HPFP on the 335i( which I also owned one) and yes it went it out on me twice.

This is why I'm leaning heavy on not buying the F80 generation. I'll be buying the New Z06, and worse case scenario (which is not a bad one lol) I'll be buying an LCI M3 and S/C the hell out of it

Last edited by jpmaze23; 01-13-2014 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #24
jpmaze23
Banned
Rep

This is why I'll be going with the Z06 instead of the M3/M4

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/13/2...-detroit-2014/

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #25
thai357sig
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam335ix View Post
Yes to both... All V8ers can already stfu and be happy with their outdated heavy ass cars while we zip pass them :-)

Hahahaha!

Not a fanboi are you?

I vote NO!
Don't know enough about the car yet. I will make my decision when I see one in person and test drive. Unlike some of those here who wet their panties from Internet pictures I will actually spend money on the next M3 if I deem it appropriate. Certainly not from leaked info that may or may not be true. I currently have an E90 that is paid off next month. I plan to keep it after daily driving 5 years. I plan to purchase a new car. Be it the F83 or the corvette, maybe the RC-F, they will be loaded. I don't lease I buy. I think the propeller company will lose alot more with my type of buyers.

I heard a lot of things with BMW in terms of reliability. Especially with FI. I loved the e46 but wasn't in the position to purchase. With e90 it was a delightful surprise. The next has yet to capture my excitement at all.

We'll see after my first drive and everyone's opinion after it has been out a few months.
      01-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #26
thai357sig
Lieutenant
Rep

The new M4 is essentially a 435i with all the modifications except there is no aftermarket required. The engine appears to be already maxed out and m9st upgrades are borrowed from the F30 335. No I am not interested so far.

I just don't like it that the M division went to the 335 parts bin for what was once a more purpose built car.
      01-13-2014, 03:39 PM   #27
AlexMSFT
Naturally-aspirated
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M6 - Carbon Black

I'm sorry, I have a hard time understanding the comparisons with a Chevy...
For multiple reasons, including price difference, cheap build quality of the Chevy, country of origin (US v Germany... hmm, no brainer to me) and finally manufacturer (really, we're comparing GM with BMW?)

Thinking about a new M4 or M5/6 for first European Delivery...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #28
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMSFT View Post
For multiple reasons, including price difference, cheap build quality of the Chevy, country of origin (US v Germany... hmm, no brainer to me) and finally manufacturer (really, we're comparing GM with BMW?)
Sigh. Welcome to 10 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #29
mikelowery
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M model

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmaze23 View Post
I don't even blame you bro! I sold my M3 last year to see what pops up in 2015, and lets just say I would probably be more inclined to buy an LCI E92 M3 and put a S/C on it before I dish money out on what will probably be the first unreliable M3/M4, not saying it won't be reliable, but there's a good chance it won't be with BMW's turbo history. Just the thought of having that M3 sitting in the dealer for a month makes me cringe! , especially considering most of the BMW techs are never up to par on training on M cars. It's hard finding those techs that really know what they're doing or have competent training. It's the reason people who were having DCT leak problems were having the whole damn transmission replaced instead of having it worked on. Most of those techs only know how to work well on regular 3series, 5series, etc. This is why this could become a nightmare when problems occur, and why people find themselves in a rental for a month without resolve at times. I know most people will buy the car and think "it won't happen to me, cause it's not common" think again, With BMW your chances are always good

I also don't mean to be talking down on BMW and piss on the excitement of the new car, but these are solid things to think about before dishing out around 70-80k on what basically is a 435i on mild steroids. The fact that the engine is being based around the N54 is a joke. This engine is going to require milestone calibration $$$, and also will probably eventually require a clean up from carbon build up, which is what all turbo BMW's eventually will require if you own it long enough to experience these things. For those that don't know, BMW engines have compatibility problems with gasoline in the U.S. All the ethanol and sulfur they add to gasoline is what caused and is causing that big problem with the HPFP on the 335i( which I also owned one) and yes it went it out on me twice.

This is why I'm leaning heavy on not buying the F80 generation. I'll be buying the New Z06, and worse case scenario (which is not a bad one lol) I'll be buying an LCI M3 and S/C the hell out of it
i think the Z06 is going to be priced around 80-90k. anyone that can afford a 80k M4 most likely can afford a Z06. the Z06 is WAYYY more appealing to me and i guess a lot others. i join this forum to see the latest reviews and specs on the new M4. only to find people loving the Zo6 hahah

To me the M cars lost there appeal. i got a E92 m, will probably hold on to it until i can grab a Z06. which is looking like 2 year away for me. plus the car is not going to hit the roads until 2015.

i will say this though. the z06 is a 2 seat sports car. i can see why someone would maybe want a BMW over a corvette in that sense.

but in terms of performance, wow factor, looks, engine sound, value for the money. the Z06 is worlds better.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #30
AlexMSFT
Naturally-aspirated
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M6 - Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Sigh. Welcome to 10 years ago.
I don't really want to make a big argument out of this, after all this is all personal opinion. But last time I sat in a Corvette (a couple months ago actually) the interior build quality was just as horrible as the Chevy cars rental companies try to dump on you every time. The attention to detail is worlds apart (granted BMW has regressed in this aspect). The price as I understand it will start around the upper price limit of the M3/M4 as well. And, finally, quite frankly I'd trust a German engineer (or any German for that matter) over an American any day of the year.

But again, that's my personal opinion. Obviously your's is different, so we'll just have to agree to disagree. I just thought I'd point these things out given all the Z06 posts on this thread.

Thinking about a new M4 or M5/6 for first European Delivery...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #31
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
I don't really want to make a big argument out of this, after all this is all personal opinion. But last time I sat in a Corvette (a couple months ago actually) the interior build quality was just as horrible as the Chevy cars rental companies try to dump on you every time. The attention to detail is worlds apart (granted BMW has regressed in this aspect). The price as I understand it will start around the upper price limit of the M3/M4 as well. And, finally, quite frankly I'd trust a German engineer (or any German for that matter) over an American any day of the year.

But again, that's my personal opinion. Obviously your's is different, so we'll just have to agree to disagree. I just thought I'd point these things out given all the Z06 posts on this thread.
I mean was this an LT3 C7 or a C6? We can all agree previous generations are lacking but the C7 is pretty damn nice inside. Way nicer than my e90 M3 was.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #32
jpmaze23
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Sir!, this is not a comparison. This is people who are debating whether they will purchase an M3/M4, or something else with staggering numbers that are much superior (Z06) for not much more money, that's all, nothing more. So again this is not a comparison. It's more of "what will you do with 80K" and are we impressed with the new M3/M4, and the bottom line is that most of us are not impressed!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #33
jpmaze23
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I mean was this an LT3 C7 or a C6? We can all agree previous generations are lacking but the C7 is pretty damn nice inside. Way nicer than my e90 M3 was.
Yup! you hit the nail right in the head with that one! I had a 2009 BMW M3 and I'm a complete snob when it comes to interiors. That was my big complaint in the past with the vettes, was the horrible interior, but on the new stingray model (Z06 as well) their interiors are incredible. You have options to go full alcantera dash, carbon fiber bucket seats, with carbon fiber trim on the accents, and carbon fiber roof! upgraded leather and high quality stiching, need I say more?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #34
jpmaze23
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thai357sig View Post
The new M4 is essentially a 435i with all the modifications except there is no aftermarket required. The engine appears to be already maxed out and m9st upgrades are borrowed from the F30 335. No I am not interested so far.

I just don't like it that the M division went to the 335 parts bin for what was once a more purpose built car.
That's exactly how I feel. I mean wait till the tuners get a hold of the 435I (tune the hell out of it) and take an M4 that's close to being maxed out (reliable maxed out) and compare them. I bet that the performances will be similar once the right hands get on it. I mean in the past it was N54 N/A vs S65 V-8, clearly the cars are worlds apart. The 435i and M4 are going to be closer than ever, and as an M owner, that would piss me off!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 04:29 PM   #35
Rockette
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Yup! you hit the nail right in the head with that one! I had a 2009 BMW M3 and I'm a complete snob when it comes to interiors. That was my big complaint in the past with the vettes, was the horrible interior, but on the new stingray model (Z06 as well) their interiors are incredible. You have options to go full alcantera dash, carbon fiber bucket seats, with carbon fiber trim on the accents, and carbon fiber roof! upgraded leather and high quality stiching, need I say more?
Some good points made, but how about the crummy multimedia interface on the 'Vette? That's the only complaint I can come up with though, as it (not even including the ZO6!) is one hell of a car all around.

I'll probably end up with an M4 though, unless BMW is serious about an M2. I just like having 4 somewhat usable seats.
      01-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #36
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
This is why I'll be going with the Z06 instead of the M3/M4

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/13/2...-detroit-2014/

I was all about the M3, but glancing at that bad boy makes the M not look so impressive.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 04:39 PM   #37
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelowery View Post
i think the Z06 is going to be priced around 80-90k. anyone that can afford a 80k M4 most likely can afford a Z06. the Z06 is WAYYY more appealing to me and i guess a lot others. i join this forum to see the latest reviews and specs on the new M4. only to find people loving the Zo6 hahah

To me the M cars lost there appeal. i got a E92 m, will probably hold on to it until i can grab a Z06. which is looking like 2 year away for me. plus the car is not going to hit the roads until 2015.

i will say this though. the z06 is a 2 seat sports car. i can see why someone would maybe want a BMW over a corvette in that sense.

but in terms of performance, wow factor, looks, engine sound, value for the money. the Z06 is worlds better.
Z06 will not be 80k. bet you with needed decent options it will reach very close to 100k. although its performance is still great value for money, its still a lot of money vs 65k M3. plus at 100k, i rather get 991s. why? sometimes a car needs to give you more than simple perf figures. you may get buncha freshmens drooling over your Z06, but thats not what i need at this point in life.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #38
jpmaze23
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
I was all about the M3, but glancing at that bad boy makes the M not look so impressive.
Same here, I really thought I was going to buy an M4, and I mean it has a backseat advantage, but I just recently bought a brand new WRX as a daily drive, so the backseat advantage is no longer an advantage for me. The fact that the vette has a much more improved interior is a win! and at the ever increasing price on the M3/M4 puts it much closer to the ballpark of the Z06. This is the only reason it's being discussed. Although some people on this forum are taking it the wrong way, as if it were a comparison, cause in no stretch by any means is it a comparison. This is just the frustration that many loyal M3 fans are having, due to being unimpressed by this new generation that we expected more from, especially considering that ///M has always set the standard for the coupe. It seems like the edge M used to have on the competition is a thing of the past, and it seems as if they have sort of peaked. I'll wait for the next generation or LCI.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #39
MaX PL
Major
Rep

we're expected to get pricing within a day or two, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #40
jpmaze23
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
Z06 will not be 80k. bet you with needed decent options it will reach very close to 100k. although its performance is still great value for money, its still a lot of money vs 65k M3. plus at 100k, i rather get 991s. why? sometimes a car needs to give you more than simple perf figures. you may get buncha freshmens drooling over your Z06, but thats not what i need at this point in life.
not sure where you're getting your numbers from, but as I stated in prior comments. GM does not over charge for options the way BMW does, or any other german manufacturer for that matter. Ther is no way the Z06 reaches that price range. That will be territory for the next ZR1. A full optioned Z06 will not go over 10k above base, and 10k is a stretch!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 04:56 PM   #41
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
...and the bottom line is that most of us are not impressed!
Well, since 9 out of 10 so far give the F8X a thumbs up, that's not true.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #42
jpmaze23
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Well, since 9 out of 10 so far give the F8X a thumbs up, that's not true.
That's fine, the poll just started. I have owned 2 bmw's a 335i and e92 M3, but there are a lot of loyalists, so of course there will be a little bias! but hey it's going to be a great car! not bashing it completely down. The main thing here is that it's going to be hard justifying an 80k M3 in many ways, and pray that it's not going to have many problems as the prior turbo cars. You can definitely see how BMW is struggling in the realibility part when it comes to the turbos and components. Good luck to the future owners!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #43
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
That's fine, the poll just started. I have owned 2 bmw's a 335i and e92 M3, but there are a lot of loyalists, so of course there will be a little bias! but hey it's going to be a great car! not bashing it completely down. The main thing here is that it's going to be hard justifying an 80k M3 in many ways, and pray that it's not going to have many problems as the prior turbo cars. You can definitely see how BMW is struggling in the realibility part when it comes to the turbos and components. Good luck to the future owners!
I've owned my 135 for almost 6 years. The only thing I've had fail on me was the HPFP and BMW seems to have fixed that problem.

Turbos still going strong, engine is doing fine. I don't see BMW repeating their previous mistakes.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #44
MaX PL
Major
Rep

Quote:
not sure where you're getting your numbers from, but as I stated in prior comments. GM does not over charge for options the way BMW does, or any other german manufacturer for that matter. Ther is no way the Z06 reaches that price range. That will be territory for the next ZR1. A full optioned Z06 will not go over 10k above base, and 10k is a stretch!
stingray base is 51k and you can option them up to 70k.
Appreciate 0