Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

01-22-2022, 02:45 AM   #15071
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
We don't see the grilles in this view and still find it ugly...
You know what's weird for me?

Think most of us (along with people from Rennlist apparently) have made our stance fairly clear already regarding the G80/G82. Performance isn't the issue, it is everything else.

Yet, the only ones that KEEPS bringing the damn subject back up seems to be the very same G80/G82 defenders like a broken record.

Like I said above, "Let it go." Annoying us won't make us suddenly change our minds about the ugly spawn of a Lexus IS and Dodge Charger.

Edit: I'll also point out. I legit thought he bought a Alfa Romeo Giulia because of the color and the side profile looks nearly the same as a Giulia. Only realizing after it wasn't, which was ironically disappointing.
It's a broken record because unless they somehow defend it to the ends of the earth and let everyone know how superior it/they is/are, it's diminishing their purchase and personality.

It's even more tiresome than BMWs marketing team jerking themselves off in an office and clapping butt cheeks in symphony trying to tell people this is the way.

I've been so busy with life and building a house and whatnot so I've not been as active as I used to be but damn, shit still going and people seem offended others have different opinions then they do and feel the need to attack others to feel better.

I'm so happy for you guys getting your porches delivered, I've not said it but they all look super clean and awesome, enjoy them with good health and be careful
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18113.00
Arcades8136.50
      01-22-2022, 08:03 AM   #15072
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Not trying to be a dick, but have you actually driven something that is truly fantastic to drive and care about that?

ZF8, rubbery MT and non existent steering feel isn’t it. AKA G8X/any modern BMW.
Does this count?

I'd still take a bog standard base 458 over any 911. Mid-engine 9000RPM NA V8 with 562hp and sounds exceptional with the right hardware.

I've driven many flavors of 911; as mentioned, they're fantastic alternatives to and upgrades from BMW M products.

I browsed the Rennlist thread; once you scrub it of Bimmerpost transplants, you're left with actual Porsche guys who have authentically complimentary things to say about the G8x drive. The very first reply is from a guy who has driven and owned a whole lot of impressive hardware and has no real affinity to BMW as far as I can tell. There's another guy on there who traded his 992TTS for a G8x. That ApexTaxi guy in the video has owned and tracked cars like the 991GT2RS and Pista, yet he apparently decided "2 turns in" on his G82 6MT test drive on the Nurburgring that he was going to buy a G8x someday. Even local #1 G8x hater () NickyC still acknowledges the merits of his old G82 as a true performance car even though he traded back to the F80 for aesthetic reasons. Lots of credible voices out there agreeing with me.

Last edited by 02M3ForMe; 01-23-2022 at 01:38 AM..
Appreciate 5
Sedan_Clan24829.00
AlterZgo1537.50
minn1913970.00
NickyC17356.00
Ilyam5888.50
      01-22-2022, 09:59 AM   #15073
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Love the 458! Sounds amazing!
Appreciate 2
02M3ForMe4255.50
Sedan_Clan24829.00
      01-22-2022, 10:43 AM   #15074
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavus View Post
so m4 gt3 is about 900lbs lighter. can't wait to see fuel burn, tire wear, pads etc. There is no way to hide weight! The chassis may be good at handling it but there are many other areas that can be impacted. These cars are most likely just 340i or 640i (same size) on steroids.

Nice little brief dive into the car - more talk about the brakes. Nice shout out to F8X too, definitely reinforces my view that these will be darlings of the HPDE/Track day community as they become more attainable
Sedan_Clan24829.00
02M3ForMe4255.50
Mavus2014.50
      01-22-2022, 11:21 AM   #15075
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
Does this count?

I'd still take a bog standard base 458 over any 911. Mid-engine 9000RPM NA V8 with 562hp and sounds exceptional with the right hardware.

I've driven many flavors of 911; as mentioned, they're fantastic alternatives to and upgrades from BMW M products.

I browsed the Rennlist thread; once you scrub it of Bimmerpost transplants, you're left with actual Porsche guys who have authentically complimentary things to say about the G8x drive. The very first reply is from a guy who has driven and owned a whole lot of impressive hardware and has no real affinity to BMW as far as I can tell. There's another guy on there who traded his 992TTS for a G8x. That ApexTaxi guy in the video has owned and tracked cars like the 991GT2RS and Pista, yet he apparently decided "2 turns in" on his G82 6MT test drive on the Nurburgring that he was going to buy a G8x someday. Even local #1 G8x hater () NickyC still acknowledges the merits of his old G82 as a true performance car even though he traded back to the F80 for aesthetic reasons. Lots of credible voices out there agreeing with me.
It does, still disagree about everything when it comes to the G8X (except I agree it does have great performance numbers). But I’m not continually trying to change everyone’s mind. Buy and drive what you want. I don’t give a shit.
Appreciate 3
Arcades8136.50
stein_325i25051.00
icegrill2078.00
      01-22-2022, 11:50 AM   #15076
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Quote:
Does this count?

It does, still disagree about everything when it comes to the G8X (except I agree it does have great performance numbers). But I'm not continually trying to change everyone's mind. Buy and drive what you want. I don't give a shit.
Like I said before, "Let. It. Go."

The one person that hasn't done so is the douchrbag idiot that is still posting here.

I don't GAF what he drives, or where he lives. All that dude has proven is my point. Which has probably flew over his head over his own ego. I'm already guessing he posted something to prove his ego.

I have 0 patience for people like him. Nor would I waste my time, online, to brother with it.
alex23642846.50
      01-22-2022, 12:37 PM   #15077
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

The one person that hasn't done so is the douchrbag idiot that is still posting here.

I don't GAF what he drives, or where he lives. All that dude has proven is my point. Which has probably flew over his head over his own ego. I'm already guessing he posted something to prove his ego.

I have 0 patience for people like him. Nor would I waste my time, online, to brother with it.
I must really be triggering for you.

After participating in this thread for nearly a year, I addressed you for the first time yesterday when you hit me with, “Do you not see that I drive a *GT4*?!” I didn’t shoot back with, “Dude, you drive the cheapest GT car they make” or whatever immature thing. I took the high road and said, “Nice choice.”

You continued to send some spice my way and I sent a little something back. Then you blocked me. You’re a “dish it but can’t take it” guy, apparently.

Then another person asked me if I’ve ever driven anything better than a G8x and I answered the question. Then you again, with the passive aggressive indirect spice. And now, straight up name calling.

You’re not one to credibly ask anyone to “be an adult”.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 01:23 PM   #15078
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Hold yer horses sir. it’s just the internet, not a real place. ;-)
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4255.50
      01-22-2022, 01:54 PM   #15079
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:

After participating in this thread for nearly a year, I addressed you for the first time yesterday when you hit me with, "Do you not see that I drive a *GT4*?!" I didn't shoot back with, "Dude, you drive the cheapest GT car they make" or whatever immature thing. I took the high road and said, "Nice choice."

You continued to send some spice my way and I sent a little something back. Then you blocked me. You're a "dish it but can't take it" guy, apparently.

Then another person asked me if I've ever driven anything better than a G8x and I answered the question. Then you again, with the passive aggressive indirect spice. And now, straight up name calling.

You're not one to credibly ask anyone to "be an adult".
I will admit you were responding to posts rather than being antagonistic.
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4255.50
      01-22-2022, 01:55 PM   #15080
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Throwing spice
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24829.00
      01-22-2022, 02:26 PM   #15081
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Does this count?

Fiero with a body kit.
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4255.50
      01-22-2022, 03:54 PM   #15082
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Attached Images

02M3ForMe4255.50
clutchdj1851.50
Arcades8136.50
RugbyBro7575.50
      01-22-2022, 04:24 PM   #15083
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Quote:

After participating in this thread for nearly a year, I addressed you for the first time yesterday when you hit me with, "Do you not see that I drive a *GT4*?!" I didn't shoot back with, "Dude, you drive the cheapest GT car they make" or whatever immature thing. I took the high road and said, "Nice choice."

You continued to send some spice my way and I sent a little something back. Then you blocked me. You're a "dish it but can't take it" guy, apparently.

Then another person asked me if I've ever driven anything better than a G8x and I answered the question. Then you again, with the passive aggressive indirect spice. And now, straight up name calling.

You're not one to credibly ask anyone to "be an adult".
"Throwing spice" makes me think of Salt Bae

How's your ownership experience of the 458? If I ever scratch the Ferrari itch I think it would have to be with that
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 04:47 PM   #15084
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:

After participating in this thread for nearly a year, I addressed you for the first time yesterday when you hit me with, “Do you not see that I drive a *GT4*?!” I didn’t shoot back with, “Dude, you drive the cheapest GT car they make” or whatever immature thing. I took the high road and said, “Nice choice.”

You continued to send some spice my way and I sent a little something back. Then you blocked me. You’re a “dish it but can’t take it” guy, apparently.

Then another person asked me if I’ve ever driven anything better than a G8x and I answered the question. Then you again, with the passive aggressive indirect spice. And now, straight up name calling.

You’re not one to credibly ask anyone to “be an adult”.
You know what, I'll play.

Since ignored didn't mean anything when I can see what you are replying when someone quotes you. I don't know why BP never thought of, making that not a thing but whatever.

First things first, I said to drop it pages ago as the conversation got absolutely no where. You were and still are, repeating the same thing that we all know already, and we keep telling you that is not the only problem with the G8x design. It has never been "just" the grille, it is the entire exterior that is the problem. If I were to get a car, I would want to get a car that I am 100% okay with. Inside and out, the G80/G82 comes up short because I am not okay with the exterior. It is not a disaster but I am not willing to throw 80k at it, especially when speed is mostly useless as you cannot use it meaningfully without getting into trouble. Performance is not the issue with the G8x, it is everything else. That has been it the entire time, it is that simple, nothing else.

Two, I was actually preoccupied doing things yesterday and I had no time to continuously play back and forth with you regardless. I will admit I was a bit more aggressive than I should have and I will apologize for it. I won't apologize for saying I don't care what you drive and I don't. That isn't being mean. You can drive a Toyota or a Ferrari (apparently), you can drive anything. It is of no matter to me because I legit don't really care. It is online, you don't have to prove jack, nor do I ever feel the need to.

I keep my life private and I leave it at that. The only reason why I show what I drive, the two of them currently, is because others here have asked and I tell them my thoughts and journey with said cars.
minn1913970.00
      01-22-2022, 06:53 PM   #15085
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
"Throwing spice" makes me think of Salt Bae

How's your ownership experience of the 458? If I ever scratch the Ferrari itch I think it would have to be with that
It’s been great. It eats up the miles. The 7-speed DCT is a massive upgrade over the single-clutch “F1” systems of older generations. It’s been very cheap to run, with no super-high dollar maintenance items other than brakes. 9000RPM never gets old. It’s surprisingly versatile; it can be docile or wild, though the controls (and especially the throttle) are quite touchy. The infotainment design is quite poor. There’s a veneer of tech and refinement, but you can still feel the rawness and DNA of cars like the Scuderia. Could use more supportive seats. Nothing but positivity from onlookers. A great exhaust makes this a keeper, it becomes much more entertaining at all speeds. It’s a near-perfect toy for me for enjoying thrills on the street.

Quote:
You know what, I'll play.

Since ignored didn't mean anything when I can see what you are replying when someone quotes you. I don't know why BP never thought of, making that not a thing but whatever.

First things first, I said to drop it pages ago as the conversation got absolutely no where. You were and still are, repeating the same thing that we all know already, and we keep telling you that is not the only problem with the G8x design. It has never been "just" the grille, it is the entire exterior that is the problem. If I were to get a car, I would want to get a car that I am 100% okay with. Inside and out, the G80/G82 comes up short because I am not okay with the exterior. It is not a disaster but I am not willing to throw 80k at it, especially when speed is mostly useless as you cannot use it meaningfully without getting into trouble. Performance is not the issue with the G8x, it is everything else. That has been it the entire time, it is that simple, nothing else.

Two, I was actually preoccupied doing things yesterday and I had no time to continuously play back and forth with you regardless. I will admit I was a bit more aggressive than I should have and I will apologize for it. I won't apologize for saying I don't care what you drive and I don't. That isn't being mean. You can drive a Toyota or a Ferrari (apparently), you can drive anything. It is of no matter to me because I legit don't really care. It is online, you don't have to prove jack, nor do I ever feel the need to.

I keep my life private and I leave it at that. The only reason why I show what I drive, the two of them currently, is because others here have asked and I tell them my thoughts and journey with said cars.
Cool.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24829.00
      01-22-2022, 07:52 PM   #15086
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

This thread is exhausting. All of the Statler and Waldorf personalities from the whole forum have been corralled in here and it’s a circle jerk of negativity.

Congrats on your new car 02M3ForMe
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
02M3ForMe4255.50
Sedan_Clan24829.00
      01-22-2022, 07:53 PM   #15087
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Here’s some shots from a vintage racing HPDE I attended today at Buttonwillow
Attached Images

Last edited by Multimodal; 01-22-2022 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 3
Arcades8136.50
WagonR293.00
Sedan_Clan24829.00
      01-22-2022, 08:14 PM   #15088
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Over on the G80 forum (https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1891792) there’s a lot of excitement around a new Road & Track article that claims the new M4 Competition xDrive is great to drive (true) and posted better lateral g numbers (2.05g) than every other car tested, including the new Porsche 911 GT3 (1.81g), Lamborghini Huracan STO (1.52g), Mercedes AMG GT Black Series (1.72g). That seems pretty unbelievable, especially if it’s a skidpad number, since Car & Driver rated the M3 Competition at 1.03g on the skidpad. But maybe it’s just the max lateral g registered by their accelerometer during the road course route.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
WagonR293.00
      01-22-2022, 08:57 PM   #15089
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

yea, and large, beastly looking women have some of the best oh let me just not..

The G8x definitely has been spiced up athletically.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      01-22-2022, 09:09 PM   #15090
WagonR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
Over on the G80 forum (https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1891792) there’s a lot of excitement around a new Road & Track article that claims the new M4 Competition xDrive is great to drive (true) and posted better lateral g numbers (2.05g) than every other car tested, including the new Porsche 911 GT3 (1.81g), Lamborghini Huracan STO (1.52g), Mercedes AMG GT Black Series (1.72g). That seems pretty unbelievable, especially if it’s a skidpad number, since Car & Driver rated the M3 Competition at 1.03g on the skidpad. But maybe it’s just the max lateral g registered by their accelerometer during the road course route.
That's an interesting measure. It's definitely not the skidpad number. It's probably not a sustained through a corner number, but some sort of peak figure registered as you note.

Look at the BRZ vs. the GR86. The lap times are basically identical, which is unsurprising given that they're basically the same car, but the BRZ has a max cornering of 1.16g and the GR86 is 1.43g, which is 23% higher than the BRZ. I don't think the GR86 handles 23% better than the BRZ, given the basically identical lap times.

I think the impressive thing is how well the M4 performed compared to some really great cars. That is really cool, but relatively speaking, being the cornering g force king, probably just isn't that meaningful.
2008 E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24829.00
      01-22-2022, 09:10 PM   #15091
WagonR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
Here’s some shots from a vintage racing HPDE I attended today at Buttonwillow
God I love the Daytona Coupe. That is all.
2008 E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 10:25 PM   #15092
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonR View Post
Look at the BRZ vs. the GR86. The lap times are basically identical, which is unsurprising given that they're basically the same car, but the BRZ has a max cornering of 1.16g and the GR86 is 1.43g, which is 23% higher than the BRZ. I don't think the GR86 handles 23% better than the BRZ, given the basically identical lap times.
Speaking of Toyo-baru's I just drove this tonight, the new BRZ. My friend traded his M2 comp for this as he already had a Mazda 3 daily and wanted something a bit more raw and lightweight and this fits the bill and put some money into other projects.

I have to say, Toyota/Subaru really made an excellent and most importantly, "affordable" (at least by modern pricing standards) sports car. The seating position is low, the manual transmission is great, the steering feels pure with real feedback and thankfully they fixed the horrible torque dip issues of the prior car. This new one while not obviously aimed for high-performance numbers being naturally aspirated and offering around 220hp and 180lb-ft torque, but weighing under 3,000lbs, which is pretty much limited to that of a Miata or Lotus, this thing is just a joy to flog around and offers some nostalgic feel of older generation sports cars. Also, it looks good too. I think the Toyota version looks better this time around but I have to say at least for now (until the image gets ruined with obscenely modded examples) its a very clean design with no fuss or gimmicks inside and out. Really the only thing that rivals this at its price point is once again the Miata, but this will of course reach a much wider audience due to its greater practicality and space.

Its gonna be a sad day when cars like this go away.

Name:  IMG-7250.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  299.8 KB
RugbyBro7575.50
WagonR293.00
swagon13484.00
alex23642846.50
clutchdj1851.50
Humdizzle6024.00
minn1913970.00