GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

08-22-2018, 07:58 AM   #1
wildwestm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Convertible

E9x M3 to an F8x M3/M4 - did you do it and do you miss the sound?

So, I'm a current 2008 e93 M3 owner. I absolutely love the car and have had no issues with it, but it has 95K miles on it. My buddy is about to move from his pristine 2015 M4 into a new M5 Competition and is offering me a killer deal on it.

At the risk of getting flamed on an M4 site, I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to change the exhaust tone. I'm just flat out spoiled by the deep sound of my v8 M3 with a Borla exhaust. I have yet to find a sound clip where the M4 isn't extremely raspy at higher RPM's. I know I'd be giving up on the v8 sound, but I'd really like to get to something non-raspy since I'll drive it like it was intended, which will result in spending a fair amount of time in those upper RPM ranges. Other than the sound I don't particularly like, I love everything else about the car. I don't think I can pass on the car...I'm just hoping I can either find a better exhaust note or just be able to get past it as is.

Anyone else make the move from the e90/92/93 M3 to a M4? How are you doing with the sound?

(I know the car and it is essentially a new car in Sakhir with matching interior, MPE, clear wrap over damn near to whole car, Carbon Ceramic brakes, CF spoiler and diffuser, new tires, etc. With only 18K miles on it, it is essentially a new car and he is meticulous.)

Dave
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 08:09 AM   #2
Zayzel
IG: @Zayzel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Atlantis Metallic M3

Sounds like a good deal if you know the owner and he keeps it in great condition. I wouldn't worry about the sound being a deal breaker. It's a car, you drive it to drive it, not to hear it
2018 F80 Atlantis Metallic DCT | ZCP | MS Springs | 20" Custom Vorsteiner VFN 512 | OEM CF Lip + Splitters | Injen Intake | EAS CF Seatbacks + Individual iND custom striping | OEM V2 Steering Wheel + custom trim | Pedal Haus | Remus Exhaust + AA Midpipe
IG: @Zayzel

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 08:12 AM   #3
mbs49946
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I just made the switch from my E92 comp M3 to a 2015 M3. My E92 was DCT and the F80 is a 6 speed manual, so the new car is fun to drive. As far as the sound - you can't beat the V8 and that will always be one of the best sounding cars I've owned. You will get used to the exhaust sound on the F80. It by no means lives up to the V8 note, but this is truly a completely different car. I have the stock exhaust and am thinking of going to Dinan exhaust, since I'll be getting their tune in the near future. I've read that it is a lower tone, but not louder. I'd research some youtube videos of different exhaust set ups.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 08:13 AM   #4
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwestm3 View Post
At the risk of getting flamed on an M4 site, I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to change the exhaust tone. I'm just flat out spoiled by the deep sound of my v8 M3 with a Borla exhaust. I have yet to find a sound clip where the M4 isn't extremely raspy at higher RPM's. I know I'd be giving up on the v8 sound, but I'd really like to get to something non-raspy since I'll drive it like it was intended, which will result in spending a fair amount of time in those upper RPM ranges. Other than the sound I don't particularly like, I love everything else about the car. I don't think I can pass on the car...I'm just hoping I can either find a better exhaust note or just be able to get past it as is. Anyone else make the move from the e90/92/93 M3 to a M4? How are you doing with the sound?
At the risk of me getting flamed as well, there is no exhaust on this car that I know of that will come close to the deep V8 sound. All of the exhausts I've heard (I've had three different ones myself) have some form of rasp somewhere in the RPM range.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 08:18 AM   #5
wildwestm3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbs49946 View Post
I just made the switch from my E92 comp M3 to a 2015 M3. My E92 was DCT and the F80 is a 6 speed manual, so the new car is fun to drive. As far as the sound - you can't beat the V8 and that will always be one of the best sounding cars I've owned. You will get used to the exhaust sound on the F80. It by no means lives up to the V8 note, but this is truly a completely different car. I have the stock exhaust and am thinking of going to Dinan exhaust, since I'll be getting their tune in the near future. I've read that it is a lower tone, but not louder. I'd research some youtube videos of different exhaust set ups.
I'm kinda looking at the same thing. I have always been a MT guy, until the M3. I almost didn't buy it b/c it had the DCT. Now I love it (put the extended paddles on it, has to be as close to driving an F1 as you can get). The M4 is a manual with the CF roof. Big change from a DCT vert. However, I like rowing my own and even though I love the DCT I think I'll have a great time with the stick. The car has the BMW Performance Exhaust on it already, which I think is titanium. I probably will not change it, so will need to get used to it. Man I love the sound of my car...it will be missed!

Dave
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 2
minn1914012.00
blockdoc373.00
      08-22-2018, 08:21 AM   #6
wildwestm3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbs49946 View Post
I've listened to many. I have yet to hear one that doesn't go raspy at higher RPM's. My guess is that there is something harmonically going on with the two independent turbo's. Probably just going to have to deal with it as the general consensus, from what I've researched/read, is that the MPE (already on the car) gives the deepest/least raspy tone of the available options...

Dave
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 1
minn1914012.00
      08-22-2018, 08:33 AM   #7
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
I've listened to many. I have yet to hear one that doesn't go raspy at higher RPM's. My guess is that there is something harmonically going on with the two independent turbo's. Probably just going to have to deal with it as the general consensus, from what I've researched/read, is that the MPE (already on the car) gives the deepest/least raspy tone of the available options...
I have the MPE on my current car, but it is a comp package car so my understanding is that it will sound a little different compared to a non comp pack 15. I only have a thousand miles on the car so I'm waiting for it to break in a bit more. Around 3-4 it's the most raspy, but after that it sounds pretty good. I'm coming from a GT350 and I miss the V8 sound as well, but it isn't a deal breaker. It is what it is.
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M34181.00
      08-22-2018, 09:26 AM   #8
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I'm here to give you my slightly more pessimistic viewpoint. I haven't heard any F8x that comes close to sounding 'good'. The exhaust note is nothing special, the fake burbles are honestly, stupid. And the active sound is an insult to car enthusiasts. The steering won't be as good as the hydraulic steering of the E9x. Throttle response is great for a turbo, but can't touch a N/A (it makes up for it with much better torque though)

Other than those things, the F8x is vastly superior to its predecessor. Much better looking too if you have your eyes open to those shortcomings, I think you'll enjoy the new car
Appreciate 1
CSanto635.50
      08-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #9
wildwestm3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I'm here to give you my slightly more pessimistic viewpoint. I haven't heard any F8x that comes close to sounding 'good'. The exhaust note is nothing special, the fake burbles are honestly, stupid. And the active sound is an insult to car enthusiasts. The steering won't be as good as the hydraulic steering of the E9x. Throttle response is great for a turbo, but can't touch a N/A (it makes up for it with much better torque though)

Other than those things, the F8x is vastly superior to its predecessor. Much better looking too if you have your eyes open to those shortcomings, I think you'll enjoy the new car
Thanks for the honest assessment. To be frank, I think the looks and interior of the M4 is hands-down better than the e9x IMHO. I'm going to drive it tonight b/c I haven't driven one, so I'll experience the throttle response and steering to see if I like it. The main hang-up I have is the sound. I'm kind-of a "whole package" guy, so I'm trying to convince myself I can get past it. There are many positives over the e9x...maybe I'll just turn the stereo up!

Dave
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #10
mmic77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competition, 2020 GT4

I have made the switch from an E93 M3 over a 650i vert to a F83 M4. It was the absolut wrong decision. I had the MPE on my 2015 M4 and it was really loud but also annoying. My problem with the M4 is that it‘s 100 percent defined about the exhaust note (or active sound ). You hear absolutly nothing special from the engine. I really missed my M3 E93 and miss it until today some times. The F82/83 is a much more capable platform but it has a lack of soul.
gone: 2020 Audi RS6 Avant nardo grey | 2020 Jaguar F-Pace SVR | 2016 Jaguar F-Type R | 2015 BMW M4 F83 | 2013 BMW 650i F12 | 2011 BMW M3 E93
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #11
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

I did this, but not from choice. My E92 was totaled and bounced with the thought of going back to the same model.

"It's a car, you drive it to drive it, not to hear it"

I will have to disagree strongly with this comment. Sound is quite important and especially with a car like this. (Sports car, whatever you want to call it.) Sound is an important part of the package. I doubt people would enjoy Ferraris and alike as much if they sounded like a prius.

Opinions will highly be in the favor that the F8x sound is terrible compared to the E9x and I hold the same opinion.
I had test pipes and eisenmann race and the sounds that came from that combo are dearly missed.
Mind you im in the camp that likes "loud" modified exhausts.
Darth One makes very good viewpoints and I agree with him especially on the visual department between the two.

I have a full Status Gruppe exhaust coming on the way for my F80 and imo this is one of the nicest sounds you can get out this engine.

It's only been about 5 months since moving on and no regrets here moving to the F8x.
And it sounds like you are already getting the car with the MPE so there is def an advantage there compared to stock/non competition sounds.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 10:37 AM   #12
wildwestm3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeFelicia View Post
I did this, but not from choice. My E92 was totaled and bounced with the thought of going back to the same model.

"It's a car, you drive it to drive it, not to hear it"

I will have to disagree strongly with this comment. Sound is quite important and especially with a car like this. (Sports car, whatever you want to call it.) Sound is an important part of the package. I doubt people would enjoy Ferraris and alike as much if they sounded like a prius.

Opinions will highly be in the favor that the F8x sound is terrible compared to the E9x and I hold the same opinion.
I had test pipes and eisenmann race and the sounds that came from that combo are dearly missed.
Mind you im in the camp that likes "loud" modified exhausts.
Darth One makes very good viewpoints and I agree with him especially on the visual department between the two.

I have a full Status Gruppe exhaust coming on the way for my F80 and imo this is one of the nicest sounds you can get out this engine.

It's only been about 5 months since moving on and no regrets here moving to the F8x.
And it sounds like you are already getting the car with the MPE so there is def an advantage there compared to stock/non competition sounds.
I agree with you whole heartedly that sound is important. That's what I meant by being a "whole package" kind of guy. That's really the only thing giving me pause regarding the car. The current owner is a great friend of mine and huge BMW enthusiast, so I have the advantage of having seen this car from the day it was shipped in from Europe. It is perfect, no worries what so ever. And it, hands down, looks much meaner than my e93 (opinion of course, I just like the looks of the F80's better). The only two concerns are the exhaust note and the carbon ceramic brakes. A brake job is $16K !! Fortunately, it only has 18K miles on it and they are supposed to be good for 100K. Whew...LOL Man...if my car didn't have 95K miles on it! I've had zero problems, but I fear they are coming. It's been an awesome car!

Dave
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 10:52 AM   #13
MannyM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2, 2001 Honda S2000

Quote:
Active Autowerke midpipe will help deepen the sound of the MPE and reduce some of the rasp with the single pipe design. It helps neutralize the independent turbo sound you are referring to. This is next on my list as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 01:02 PM   #14
OM3N
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW '09 E92 M3 DCT

Miss my E92 MPE soundtrack everytime I drive. Almost want to get back in one purely because of intake and exhaust noise
Upgraded to the MPE on the F80, but that mostly amplified the sounds I dont like.
The farts are the most embarrasing feature by far. When abruptly let of the gas around 4k rpm. I hate that.

Most pleasant setting is valves shut 100% by bimmerlink and asd off, but I think 100% shut valves might be bad for performance.

CS sounds better from the youtube clips, might have to try get some coding done
      08-22-2018, 02:29 PM   #15
Kaanv8v10
Private
Rep
Drives: bmws

I have currently both in my garage, 09 coupe dct and 15 m4 sakhir 6 speed manuel, i love my e92, , i think the sound is only advantage of the e92.
I have gthaus exhaust on both, no question ask v8 sounds way better and if i sell it i would definitely miss the v8 sound but keep in mind m4 offers so much more than e92.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 12:06 PM   #16
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

As others have said, there is simply no replacing the phenomenal wailing v8 sound from the E9x m3. If sound is extremely important to you then I think you will be upset with the F8x.

The F8x has other attributes which make it better than the previous generation such as much improved gas mileage and cheaper maintenance costs, but engine sound and character is sorely lacking.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 12:17 PM   #17
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

People have been trying to make V6s sound like V8s for decades. Not gonna happen. Turbo V6s are even harder.

Personally I think the F80/82 exhaust gripes are WAY overblown. It does not sound that bad.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2018, 04:26 PM   #18
TeKNiC3
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 | F87 M2cs

I had an E92 with the full Akrapovic Evo exhaust system and am beyond disappointed with the sound of the F80 ZCP I currently have. Even after installing an Akrapovic slip on on the F80, I still miss the E92's V8....A LOT....
      08-27-2018, 04:08 AM   #19
Iggy321
Rep
Drives: 2021 F90 M5C

Trust me, I understand your predicament. I had a full decatted exhaust on my E92 M3 and I was beyond worried about the M3/4 sound. I loved every aspect of the F8X over the E9X but I just couldn't get over the sound. I test drove an F80 last summer and was surprised by the sound, it did sound lot better in person than on video. Fast forward to last month, I picked up my new ZCP M4 and I can safely say I love every bit of it. Yeah sure the sound isn't as good or visceral as the E92 but it's a different beast. It still sounds good and with new intakes on it the turbo induction is intoxicating. Miss the V8 sound somewhat but haven't regretting the jump one bit.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 07:10 AM   #20
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
most of the difference you are hearing is the intake howl of the S65. you just can't get that on a turbo car.

t
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 07:25 AM   #21
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3N View Post
CS sounds better from the youtube clips, might have to try get some coding done
You wont be able to change sound from coding. An engine tune maybe...

However, the CS' exhaust is physically tuned differently, hence the only way to get the CS sound is by swapping out to a CS exhaust.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 07:26 AM   #22
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
People have been trying to make V6s sound like V8s for decades. Not gonna happen. Turbo V6s are even harder.

Personally I think the F80/82 exhaust gripes are WAY overblown. It does not sound that bad.
The S55 is not a V6 ...

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0