Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-06-2019, 12:51 PM   #1
Keebin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

SPL FLCA

Is anyone running the SPL front lower control arms on their street/track car i just wanted to get the pro's and cons of running adjustable flca on the f80 or do you guys feel camber plates are enough. do our cars benefit from wider track with.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 11:27 AM   #2
F3IGHTY
Lieutenant
Rep

I have them, SPL makes great stuff. It’s not a matter of ‘either or’ the FLCA have provisions for correcting roll center, camber adjustment is an extra benefit.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 09:34 PM   #3
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3IGHTY View Post
I have them, SPL makes great stuff. It’s not a matter of ‘either or’ the FLCA have provisions for correcting roll center, camber adjustment is an extra benefit.
How much extra camber can they add? Considering doing these instead of camber plates.
      09-09-2019, 11:59 PM   #4
F3IGHTY
Lieutenant
Rep

Couple degrees, but if you’re running wider wheels you don’t get the fender clearance that comes with camber plates.

You’ll also be gaining caster with no way of dialing it out (or trimming left to right) by exclusively running just FLCAs as you camber adjustment.
Appreciate 1
TheBreeze254.50
      09-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #5
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Couple degrees, but if you’re running wider wheels you don’t get the fender clearance that comes with camber plates.

You’ll also be gaining caster with no way of dialing it out (or trimming left to right) by exclusively running just FLCAs as you camber adjustment.
From what I've gathered here, the F80 stock is about -1.4* of camber. I'd like to get it to -2.4 or so. That's what I have on my e92 m3 and it's a good compromise for street/hpde that doesn't eat tires. I know I give up a little bit not having a dedicated track alignment, but life is all about compromises, and I'm not racing for a living, so I like to keep things simple. When you say it adds caster, how much are we talking about if I add 1* of camber? More caster should just make it track straighter and increase steering effort right?

I really hate the thought of streeting noisy adjustable camber plates. I hate road noise and vibration transferred into the cabin, which is why I used the Dinan fixed plates on my e92. They added zero noise and gave me what I wanted in extra camber.
      09-10-2019, 05:35 PM   #6
Keebin
Private First Class
Rep

well few lesson's learned, i have a set and i tried to install them i guess with kw coils and spl arms you will need the spl frontend sway bar links to adjust the sway bar up so it does not come in contact with the flca.

TheBreeze im also running the GC camber plates with kw v3 and they aren't loud with weird clunks. i was able to dial in -2.5 up front with no issues on a 9.5 +21 wheel.
Appreciate 1
TheBreeze254.50
kern4174446.50
      09-10-2019, 05:37 PM   #7
Keebin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
yeah thats what i'm really after is the roll center corrections, i think its worth it for all the arms up front.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 05:56 PM   #8
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebin View Post
well few lesson's learned, i have a set and i tried to install them i guess with kw coils and spl arms you will need the spl frontend sway bar links to adjust the sway bar up so it does not come in contact with the flca.

TheBreeze im also running the GC camber plates with kw v3 and they aren't loud with weird clunks. i was able to dial in -2.5 up front with no issues on a 9.5 +21 wheel.
It's the lack of any sort of vibration deadening materials in the adjustable camber plates that keep me away. Just solid bearings that transfer every bit of road noise directly into the frame of the car and into the cabin, rattling the dash and door panels, no thanks, been there, done that. I HATE road noise and rattles, definitely don't want even more of it. Why vendors can't make adjustable street-able plates with sound/vibration deadening is beyond me.
      09-11-2019, 10:55 PM   #9
F3IGHTY
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
It's the lack of any sort of vibration deadening materials in the adjustable camber plates that keep me away. Just solid bearings that transfer every bit of road noise directly into the frame of the car and into the cabin, rattling the dash and door panels, no thanks, been there, done that. I HATE road noise and rattles, definitely don't want even more of it. Why vendors can't make adjustable street-able plates with sound/vibration deadening is beyond me.
In that case, maybe you shouldn’t replace the OEM rubber bushing LCAs with full metal sphericals.
Appreciate 1
TheBreeze254.50
      09-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #10
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In that case, maybe you shouldn’t replace the OEM rubber bushing LCAs with full metal sphericals.
I thought the LCA bushings weren't rubber on the M3. I know the thrust arms are on the big end. I may end up trying the ground control plates and see if the NVH is too much. Seems to be a more technically sound solution anyway.
      09-12-2019, 12:02 PM   #11
Keebin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
I thought the LCA bushings weren't rubber on the M3. I know the thrust arms are on the big end. I may end up trying the ground control plates and see if the NVH is too much. Seems to be a more technically sound solution anyway.
They are i took mine out the other day, you will for sure get more NVH with SPL arms being they are spherical metal bushings. GC camber plates arent loud imo been dallying the car for a while now with them.
Appreciate 1
TheBreeze254.50
      10-02-2019, 01:54 PM   #12
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

I have millway camber plates and they don't rattle at all, but they do transfer some more road noise to the cabin. Others have reported similar experiences.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1605949

I'm also interested in putting the LCAs on my F32. Since the F8x control arms fit, I figure these should too. SPL was hesitant to confirm they would and supposedly they are going to make an F3x version. I just want the roll center correction personally.

I also asked about bearing noise and SPL mentioned that grease/bushings would only cause them to wear more quickly. Supposedly the tolerances give the bearings a "self-cleaning" effect. Has anyone had to replace the bearings and how long did they take to get noisy/wear out?
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 12:45 PM   #13
Keebin
Private First Class
Rep

This weekend i installed SPL FLCA, Front Tension rods and sway bar end links as well as SPL RUA and toe rods. i extended my flca by 10mm i also run GC camber plates. right now its at the shop getting dialed.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 12:48 PM   #14
Keebin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
I have millway camber plates and they don't rattle at all, but they do transfer some more road noise to the cabin. Others have reported similar experiences.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1605949

I'm also interested in putting the LCAs on my F32. Since the F8x control arms fit, I figure these should too. SPL was hesitant to confirm they would and supposedly they are going to make an F3x version. I just want the roll center correction personally.

I also asked about bearing noise and SPL mentioned that grease/bushings would only cause them to wear more quickly. Supposedly the tolerances give the bearings a "self-cleaning" effect. Has anyone had to replace the bearings and how long did they take to get noisy/wear out?

i have run spl on many car's never had an issue with bearings clapping out. i would say most who choose to do this mod already know you will give up a little luxury for the performance benefit. for your FLCA i think they will fit and from the start you can make them shorter or longer even then your OEM one's but what they dont tell you is you will need to adjust the caster on the car as well as needing adjustable sway bar endlink depending on coil setup you run.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #15
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebin View Post
i have run spl on many car's never had an issue with bearings clapping out. i would say most who choose to do this mod already know you will give up a little luxury for the performance benefit. for your FLCA i think they will fit and from the start you can make them shorter or longer even then your OEM one's but what they dont tell you is you will need to adjust the caster on the car as well as needing adjustable sway bar endlink depending on coil setup you run.
I'm familiar and confident in setting it up myself. Like I said above, I'm primarily interested in improving the camber curve by raising the roll center. I don't plan on increasing camber with the camber arms, and I see no reason to get adjustable sway bar end links. Nothing in the shock/sway bar interaction will change.

The are actually designing F3x specific arms, so I'm waiting for those to be released.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 03:41 PM   #16
Keebin
Private First Class
Rep

if you don't plan on adjusting them only to stock sizing, i don't see a need for the sway bars end links in my case i did adjust 10mm my kw mount points are different then oem so i could not use my oem end links.
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50