Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-06-2016, 12:06 AM   #23
GoranBonn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 330d SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuera09 View Post
Bought mine from Blackboxmycar.com as well. Their customer service is top notched. Justin is very helpful. I wanted to upgrade from my X330 without the LCD. I just completed the install on my f15. However I noticed these weird internal noises (besides the ones in my head). It actually sounds like there's a short circuit inside the unit. I emailed Justin so I'm waiting to hear back from him tomorrow. I'm keeping the unit unplug for now until I hear back from the experts.
There is a faint electrical buzzing sound only while transferring video over wifi. That one's normal.

If you hear buzzing during driving, I'm betting it's not electrical but mechanical. I've found that the buttons are loose and prone to rattling/buzzing.

See this thread and how I solved it: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=20

(note: since the photo, I've put tape on all the buttons.)

Of course, if the noise is there also while parked and not moving and not using wifi, then definitely keep the unit disconnected!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 12:30 AM   #24
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Xline with MPPK

It's definitely not the buttons. My car was stationary with wifi turned off. The buzzing was captured while continuously recording. Sent both videos for the F770 and the X330 for Blackbox guys to compare. Same buzzing noise while the unit was hard wired or in the cig plug adapter. You can definitely hear the buzzing inside the cabin when car is not runnning, no radio, and with windows rolled up.

Thanks for the link on the rattling fix.

Last edited by Neuera09; 12-06-2016 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #25
brian30tw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 delivered in Munich

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoranBonn View Post
There is a faint electrical buzzing sound only while transferring video over wifi. That one's normal.

If you hear buzzing during driving, I'm betting it's not electrical but mechanical. I've found that the buttons are loose and prone to rattling/buzzing.

See this thread and how I solved it: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=20

(note: since the photo, I've put tape on all the buttons.)

Of course, if the noise is there also while parked and not moving and not using wifi, then definitely keep the unit disconnected!
Thanks for sharing! My biggest complaint is the rattling, so I will try this to see if it helps. I taped the cable door closed, but that didn't solve it.

Has anyone been able to disable the voice prompt telling you to reformat the disc for data integrity? That's my other complaint.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 09:46 PM   #26
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep

Heard back from Justin at Blackboxmycar and he's relayed my issues with Thinkware North America. Just received an email from Thinkware with a ticket number. They will be sending me a return label for the unit. I should get a brand new replacement unit versus a refurbished one. Stay tuned folks!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 05:57 PM   #27
l34l2l2y
Rep
Drives: MG M4 ZCP

So I am thinking about adding a dash cam. Actually been thinking about it for a while and then someone hit my bumper while parked the other day so now I'm thinking about it more. Watching the install videos I was wondering if we need the cellink or not
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 08:15 PM   #28
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by l34l2l2y View Post
So I am thinking about adding a dash cam. Actually been thinking about it for a while and then someone hit my bumper while parked the other day so now I'm thinking about it more. Watching the install videos I was wondering if we need the cellink or not
I was on the same boat. I was doing my youtube research 2 months ago and got lazy. Then my wife got into an accident when a teenager failed to stop at a stop sign. Dealing with their insurance company and the teenager lying about not stopping convinced me its a very wise investment. Good thing we had a witness otherwise their insurance carrier would have denied our claim because it was a "she said/she said" issue. We would've been out $5k plus a chance of the teenager filing a claim with our insurance carrier.

Now I'm happy to say all 3 of our cars have a dash cam; Viofo A119, Thinkware X330, and F770. I have a cellink for the F770 unit. Its worth not having the battery drain issue and being able to fully take advantage of the parking mode (time lapse/motion). It's worth having the piece of mind when you're not near your vehicle.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2016, 06:55 PM   #29
l34l2l2y
Rep
Drives: MG M4 ZCP

Thanks ended up ordering one yesterday, really just looking for others to support/validate me spending money lol
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 07:44 PM   #30
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by l34l2l2y View Post
Thanks ended up ordering one yesterday, really just looking for others to support/validate me spending money lol
Lol. You joined the right forum for that.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 01:47 PM   #31
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by krotondo View Post
do you have any updates on how the unit is performing? Thinking about ordering this for my incoming F80 M3 (next week!)
Have been using it for the last 7 months. It's been working expected. The parking mode is well worth the money. Last month, while I was having coffee in a coffee shop, some dumb ass backed into my car while he parallel-parked his car, dented my bumper. He didn't leave a note or anything. Of course the dashcam caught the whole thing and the dumb ass's face and license plate. The dashcam notified me when I got back into the car and I watched the video over wifi. It is still a huge waste of my time, but at least I can claim the dumb ass' insurance.

It is not without faults. It reminds me to format my SD card every two freaking weeks. If I don't, it won't tell me how many incidents were detected or recorded. Another problem is if you are in an area with a lot of radio interference, like a condo or apartment building, wifi doesn't connect. You will have to move to some "quieter" places to connect to the F770.

All in all, I still recommend the F770.
      01-03-2017, 02:35 PM   #32
GoranBonn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 330d SB

Just saw that firmware 1.00.06 is out for the F770. Anyone tried it yet? I'm still running 1.00.03. Not much described in the changelog...

http://www.thinkware.com/Support/Download#1
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 12:27 PM   #33
A13x
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

how did you get it to enter parking mode. mine just keeps drawing power and eventually turns off when battery is at x as the power meter cuts it.

i decided to use fuse 159 / 160
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 12:40 PM   #34
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Check your ACC connection, make sure it stops supplying power a few minutes after you turn off your car. If not, find an different fuse that shuts off power after you turn off your car.
      05-26-2017, 01:17 PM   #35
krotondo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW/Full SO M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by A13x View Post
how did you get it to enter parking mode. mine just keeps drawing power and eventually turns off when battery is at x as the power meter cuts it.

i decided to use fuse 159 / 160
also, if you bought it from blackboxmycar with their hardwire kit there was a short time the ACC and +12 wires were reversed. This would not allow it to go into parking mode
Appreciate 0