Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-08-2019, 09:43 PM   #1
M3hf80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Reliability after a tune + Tuning questions

Hi All,

I've been doing nonstop research this past week as I'm looking to tune my 16 Non ZCP M4 (6MT) in the next 3 months. I've read multiple threads, countless comments and seems like the 2 most recommended options are probably either Alpine or BM3.

I'm most likely going to go stage 2 and call it a day. That being said, how are the reliability of these cars after a tune? To my understanding, these cars are bulletproof and won't run into many issues but does running the car on a tune mess with any of these factors? Does it put more stress on the drivetrain etc? Or are these cars so detuned from the factory, turning up the notch a bit won't affect anything?

I'm looking to keep my car for the foreseeable future so reliability is a huge concern of mine. Also, read a lot on BM3 and Alpine, almost can't find a single negative review on any of the 2. Can someone share opinion on why you chose one over the other? Please comment in peace as I'm simply interested in why you chose on over the other and not which one is better.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 10:15 PM   #2
Washer48
Rep
Drives: '15 F80 M3

I am currently running a bm3 OTS stage 1 tune, with the intention of moving to stage 2 in the near future. I haven't had any issues with reliability, but I also did a full round of preventative maintenance right after tuning. If you go to stage 2, I'd recommend doing all the preventative maintenance you can... upgrading chargepipes, upgraded spark plugs, upgraded crankhub if you're paranoid, etc.

The more power you run, the more likely you're going to run into reliability issues with stock parts. Each car is different. I love bm3 though, and would highly recommend. Maybe get a tuner to do your stage 2 tune tho once your finished with mods and say you want a more conservative tune if you want to emphasize reliability. Happy modding!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #3
M3hf80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washer48 View Post
I am currently running a bm3 OTS stage 1 tune, with the intention of moving to stage 2 in the near future. I haven't had any issues with reliability, but I also did a full round of preventative maintenance right after tuning. If you go to stage 2, I'd recommend doing all the preventative maintenance you can... upgrading chargepipes, upgraded spark plugs, upgraded crankhub if you're paranoid, etc.

The more power you run, the more likely you're going to run into reliability issues with stock parts. Each car is different. I love bm3 though, and would highly recommend. Maybe get a tuner to do your stage 2 tune tho once your finished with mods and say you want a more conservative tune if you want to emphasize reliability. Happy modding!
Thanks for the reply! I figured as such. Searching for that one guy who has done 75k + miles while running a tune haha
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 11:43 AM   #4
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Plenty of people run tunes with no issues but as soon as you start putting loads on your car that it was not designed for, the probably of failures start to increase.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 01:17 PM   #5
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

All the popular tunes are pretty safe, but the crank hub spin risk is real. And the more power you run the more common it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 01:31 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

run a proven tune with the recommended map for your mods and fuel and you're good. Im running BM3 E30 map with FBO , before that i was running active autowerke stage 2.

Never had an issue with either setup

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0