proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

09-13-2018, 09:40 PM   #155
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
, You had an f8x! you miss it or something?
Yea, I do. my '15 civic M3 was good car, and I had a lot of good memories with it

I moved on to try other stuff, not because I didn't like the car
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 06:19 AM   #156
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender150 View Post
I cant daily drive a car that makes no sound
My personal thoughts on that are that if it doesn't sound like an NA V8 or V12, it might just as well not make any sound. Not that other types of engines can't or don't sound ok, its just that I could take it or leave it at that point.
Also if it doesn't make V8/12 sound it might as well have ugly front end. Those headlights and especially DLR make the car look cartoonish.
      09-15-2018, 10:47 PM   #157
IS350
IS350 to IS-F to M3 and M4
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350 View Post
Congrats! Did you do the full self driving upgrade? (Even though it's law dependent?)
I'm in a Z06 rental this week, and am now seriously considering this, over the Tesla. It's so quick and that sound!

Plus, the stereo tops my M3's, the HUD actually works with my sunglasses and the top comes off, lol. If only I never needed a backseat!

Are you expecting to use the EV tax credit? I was all excited about it, but line 47 on my tax return is like $800 last year, looks like I'd need to sell some stock for a loss to get the $7500!
Yes I did do the full self driving (vaporware) option. Apparently the first set of features (over and above EAP) will be released soon so I wanted to have access.

I love the z06. But I want a c5z or c6z already modified for club racing instead of a street car.

That's awesome that you're able to minimize your tax liabilities to that extent. Yes, I do expect to use the federal ev tax credit. I need to look closely at the new rules for the Ca tax credit.

Get the gas sports or competition car AND the Tesla if possible. That way you have specialized and will get better outcomes for each of sport and commuting.
Quote:
Quote:
Congrats! Did you do the full self driving upgrade? (Even though it's law dependent?)
I'm in a Z06 rental this week, and am now seriously considering this, over the Tesla. It's so quick and that sound!

Plus, the stereo tops my M3's, the HUD actually works with my sunglasses and the top comes off, lol. If only I never needed a backseat!

Are you expecting to use the EV tax credit? I was all excited about it, but line 47 on my tax return is like $800 last year, looks like I'd need to sell some stock for a loss to get the $7500!
Yes I did do the full self driving (vaporware) option. Apparently the first set of features (over and above EAP) will be released soon so I wanted to have access.

I love the z06. But I want a c5z or c6z already modified for club racing instead of a street car.

That's awesome that you're able to minimize your tax liabilities to that extent. Yes, I do expect to use the federal ev tax credit. I need to look closely at the new rules for the Ca tax credit.

Get the gas sports or competition car AND the Tesla if possible. That way you have specialized and will get better outcomes for each of sport and commuting.
Thanks! I'm mixed on the FSD, since it's still unclear what features will be out, if any?

Btw, did you get the free SuperCharging?

https://ts.la/michael73799
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 10:49 PM   #158
IS350
Rep

For anyone considering a Tesla, free Lifetime SuperCharging expires on the 16th.

Use this link, if interested.

I'm still not sure how much I'd miss my M3, if I make the Tesla my daily, but it's a compelling car!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 12:27 AM   #159
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Congrats!! Keep us posted.. would love to hear your thoughts once it arrives.
Hey so, my build got expedited in a huge way (guess they want to hit Q3 production numbers) and I have the car already.

Spent most of today driving it around in various conditions ( around town, canyons, clogged freeway) and I continue to be really impressed.

I'm totally converted. This is an amazing street car.

I think I've mentioned my impressions already in other posts but let me know if you have any specific questions.

I'll get some pics posted tomorrow.

Edit: thanks is350. I did use a friend's referral code.

Did you get a model 3 also?
Appreciate 1
JTO245276.00
      09-16-2018, 04:52 AM   #160
IS350
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Congrats!! Keep us posted.. would love to hear your thoughts once it arrives.
Hey so, my build got expedited in a huge way (guess they want to hit Q3 production numbers) and I have the car already.

Spent most of today driving it around in various conditions ( around town, canyons, clogged freeway) and I continue to be really impressed.

I'm totally converted. This is an amazing street car.

I think I've mentioned my impressions already in other posts but let me know if you have any specific questions.

I'll get some pics posted tomorrow.

Edit: thanks is350. I did use a friend's referral code.

Did you get a model 3 also?
Congrats!
How long between order and delivery?
What are your specs?
Any body panel alignment/paint overspray/chip issues?
How might you compare the suspension/cornering to our M cars?
Wind noise?
Good finance rate?

I placed an order. Pretty excited!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 09:26 AM   #161
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Congrats!
How long between order and delivery?
What are your specs?
Any body panel alignment/paint overspray/chip issues?
How might you compare the suspension/cornering to our M cars?
Wind noise?
Good finance rate?

I placed an order. Pretty excited!
I ordered 9/3 and got a last minute email on 9/7 at 6pm that I could go to an event and try to get matched to a car on 9/8-9/9 but they sold out of performance versions. I actually got the car 9/15.

I got the "performance" trim and check all boxes except I kept the paint black and interior black.

Just seat from street driving and some casual canyon driving, I think the suspension is fine. I'm having as much fun as my old (passive suspension + 18s) m3. The corner exit acceleration is far superior. no complaints from me.

Yes, I found 4 chips, and 1 area where the paint needs to be corrected. The trim around 1 door wasn't lined up well the CF spoiler is not yet available. Definitely some issues and do inspect your car thoroughly in direct sun light .

No wind noise. Insulation is great.

Congrats on your order!!! What did you get? I think you won't regret it. It's a really great street car, to the point that I'm 99% decided I'm going to sell my 996TT, since I think model 3 performance is going to be able to satisfy my street car performance needs.
Appreciate 2
IS350118.00
JTO245276.00
      09-17-2018, 06:47 AM   #162
IS350
Rep

Quote:
I ordered 9/3 and got a last minute email on 9/7 at 6pm that I could go to an event and try to get matched to a car on 9/8-9/9 but they sold out of performance versions. I actually got the car 9/15.

I got the "performance" trim and check all boxes except I kept the paint black and interior black.

Just seat from street driving and some casual canyon driving, I think the suspension is fine. I'm having as much fun as my old (passive suspension + 18s) m3. The corner exit acceleration is far superior. no complaints from me.

Yes, I found 4 chips, and 1 area where the paint needs to be corrected. The trim around 1 door wasn't lined up well the CF spoiler is not yet available. Definitely some issues and do inspect your car thoroughly in direct sun light .

No wind noise. Insulation is great.

Congrats on your order!!! What did you get? I think you won't regret it. It's a really great street car, to the point that I'm 99% decided I'm going to sell my 996TT, since I think model 3 performance is going to be able to satisfy my street car performance needs.
Thanks for this update. BTW, do you have any preferred Tesla 3 forums?
Not sure if you saw these posts, but they gave me hope, coming from my BMW M3.
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forum...-short-version

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forum...omment-1573231

Sounds like you got a great car! What was the total MSRP? The black paint was no extra cost? Did you pay cash or finance? I'm shopping for a good rate.

Thanks for the tips on the paint, what did they say about a repair?
Good build there. I went with the Metallic Silver, with black interior, in hopes to get it right away. I don't love the wood stripe, but prefer black over white interiors for the dirt factor. Maybe we can find an aftermarket black stripe?

I'm currently with the FSD, but may omit that. It'll probably never be utilized, but I guess it adds value to resale, since no other charges should be required.

Impressive to hear you're dumping the Porsche. That's high praise for the Tesla. Did you also have a BMW?

Appreciate the discussion!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 11:53 AM   #163
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for this update. BTW, do you have any preferred Tesla 3 forums?

Sounds like you got a great car! What was the total MSRP? The black paint was no extra cost? Did you pay cash or finance? I'm shopping for a good rate.

Thanks for the tips on the paint, what did they say about a repair?
Good build there. I went with the Metallic Silver, with black interior, in hopes to get it right away. I don't love the wood stripe, but prefer black over white interiors for the dirt factor. Maybe we can find an aftermarket black stripe?

I'm currently with the FSD, but may omit that. It'll probably never be utilized, but I guess it adds value to resale, since no other charges should be required.

Impressive to hear you're dumping the Porsche. That's high praise for the Tesla. Did you also have a BMW?

Appreciate the discussion!
Yes, I had a '15 m3 dct. Still have an e84 x135 (wife's daily). Loved the m3 but I realized it wasn't hardcore enough for me, since it's a sedan based street car. So I sold it to get the 996 and a spec Miata.

It wasn't a knock on the m3. I think it's the best gas sedan out there.

My 996 is in a weird spot. It can't tow a racecar, isn't a racecar itself, and is a much worse daily driver than an EV. The super loud exhaust and lightweight flywheel are amazing for fun but are a pain for daily usage.

where I'm at now, it doesn't fit in anywhere. Super fun car that deserves to be used and not parked 26 of 30 days each month

The service center will apparently fix the paint. Guess we'll see.

The wood strip is open pore and looks cool. Check it out first. Yes, black paint was free. I figured I'd wrap it later rather than pay $2k for a color.

I haven't figured out the forum situation
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 01:38 AM   #164
Gavyne
Rep
Drives: Model 3

Quote:

You might also enjoy this Laguna Seca run:
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 04:03 AM   #165
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Yes, I had a '15 m3 dct. Still have an e84 x135 (wife's daily). Loved the m3 but I realized it wasn't hardcore enough for me, since it's a sedan based street car. So I sold it to get the 996 and a spec Miata.

My 996 is in a weird spot. It can't tow a racecar, isn't a racecar itself, and is a much worse daily driver than an EV. The super loud exhaust and lightweight flywheel are amazing for fun but are a pain for daily usage.

where I'm at now, it doesn't fit in anywhere. Super fun car that deserves to be used and not parked 26 of 30 days each month

The wood strip is open pore and looks cool. Check it out first. Yes, black paint was free. I figured I'd wrap it later rather than pay $2k for a color.

I have a scheduled test drive in the 3 perf on Wednesday

My guess though on track times it will be closer to the e92 m3 than the f80. I am purely speculating based on that laguna seca amateur time and the significant weight v power of the 3.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #166
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
I have a scheduled test drive in the 3 perf on Wednesday

My guess though on track times it will be closer to the e92 m3 than the f80. I am purely speculating based on that laguna seca amateur time and the significant weight v power of the 3.
Nice!! Let us know what you think. Make sure you try out the autosteer feature

Hopefully Randy P drives a model 3 perf at Ls so we can have apples to apples
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 10:08 AM   #167
IS350
Rep

Quote:

Great cars. How do you like the Miata? Do you track it?
I was a bit worried about the Model 3's 2-ton weight, but had an F83, which was around 3800 lbs and it didn't feel much heavier than my F80 of around 3500lbs.

Keep me posted on the paint. Good call on the wood. I'll embrace it.
Some are saying it's better to go aftermarket with the wheels/tires/suspension than the sport package, but I kinda like trying to stick stock, since I'll probably only track a few times a year, and ideally, hope to find a used Z06 value for more tracking.

Still, I do love my seats and adjustable suspension in my F80, plus the HUD. But, we can't have it all, and lifetime free SuperCharging will be a nice perk.

BTW, if anyone is considering a Tesla, today is an extra bonus day to get that free charging. Expired the 16th, but a glitch is allowing them to bring back, just for today.

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 10:10 AM   #168
IS350
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavyne View Post
Thanks! Difficult to tell where they are accelerating without the ICE, unless you can see the speedo. Was this related to the drive where they compared it to the P100D on that track?

I hope they can install Superchargers at these tracks.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #169
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I was a bit worried about the Model 3's 2-ton weight, but had an F83, which was around 3800 lbs and it didn't feel much heavier than my F80 of around 3500lbs.

Some are saying it's better to go aftermarket with the wheels/tires/suspension than the sport package, but I kinda like trying to stick stock, since I'll probably only track a few times a year, and ideally, hope to find a used Z06 value for more tracking.

Still, I do love my seats and adjustable suspension in my F80, plus the HUD. But, we can't have it all, and lifetime free SuperCharging will be a nice perk.

BTW, if anyone is considering a Tesla, today is an extra bonus day to get that free charging. Expired the 16th, but a glitch is allowing them to bring back, just for today.

Yes, spec miata is my track car this year. I love it. Learning a lot and wish I did it sooner

I wanted the factory big brake kit, and upcoming "track mode" stability control program. Figured those were "worth it" but YMMV

model 3 + z06 track car is the perfect combo
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 04:35 PM   #170
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavyne View Post
According to the driver, it still suffers from overheating. In comments he said lost 10% power per lap.

Solid state battery tech couldn't come soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 06:11 PM   #171
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
According to the driver, it still suffers from overheating. In comments he said lost 10% power per lap.

That's in line with what other media reported

Quote:
data predicted that, after roughly three full-speed, perfect laps, the car would gradually start pulling power, hitting equilibrium at a pace about two to three seconds off the absolute quickest lap times the car is capable of. To him, that's not a devastating loss of performance. "Two, three seconds, that's equivalent to driver error," he points out.

Our experience matched his predictions. After three or four laps, the hard slap of the Performance Model 3's acceleration slowly began to dissipate. It was always gradual, workable, not a sudden loss or change of performance. A few cooldown laps—or 20 minutes parked in the pits while we ran our backup car—and the thing would bounce right back to full power, no drama involved.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 07:45 PM   #172
IS350
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, spec miata is my track car this year. I love it. Learning a lot and wish I did it sooner

I wanted the factory big brake kit, and upcoming "track mode" stability control program. Figured those were "worth it" but YMMV

model 3 + z06 track car is the perfect combo
Yes, those brakes look smaller than my F80's, but they apparently work well.

Is the updated track stability program only optional if you buy the $5k performance upgrade?

Going back to my original post that kicked off this thread, do you feel like the car is cheaper overall then your M3? Just comparing the looks from the rear, albeit, the smaller tires in the non-performance package, it does have a feeling of lower grade, almost like a Kia, from some angles. That said, I realize were paying for the technology and I do love the other features, traction to 60, EAP, etc.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 07:49 PM   #173
IS350
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's in line with what other media reported

Quote:
data predicted that, after roughly three full-speed, perfect laps, the car would gradually start pulling power, hitting equilibrium at a pace about two to three seconds off the absolute quickest lap times the car is capable of. To him, that's not a devastating loss of performance. "Two, three seconds, that's equivalent to driver error," he points out.

Our experience matched his predictions. After three or four laps, the hard slap of the Performance Model 3's acceleration slowly began to dissipate. It was always gradual, workable, not a sudden loss or change of performance. A few cooldown laps—or 20 minutes parked in the pits while we ran our backup car—and the thing would bounce right back to full power, no drama involved.
Not bad? I believe Porsche says they will not lose any power in the Taycan, we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 09:17 PM   #174
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, those brakes look smaller than my F80's, but they apparently work well.

Is the updated track stability program only optional if you buy the $5k performance upgrade?

Going back to my original post that kicked off this thread, do you feel like the car is cheaper overall then your M3? Just comparing the looks from the rear, albeit, the smaller tires in the non-performance package, it does have a feeling of lower grade, almost like a Kia, from some angles. That said, I realize were paying for the technology and I do love the other features, traction to 60, EAP, etc.
Yes, that's my understanding. Track mode comes with the Performance trim level + Performance Upgrade option.

You're asking the wrong person in terms of "cheapness". My F80 was cloth seats and stripped down options wise.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 09:21 PM   #175
IS350
Rep

Thanks.
Well, I don't mind cloth seats, just need to get used to the shape.

Of all your daily drivers owned, you prefer your Tesla?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 09:27 PM   #176
Gavyne
Rep
Drives: Model 3

Quote:

He also said track mode should help with that, because track mode is supposed to allow you to adjust the battery temperature.
Appreciate 0