Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

10-11-2019, 12:03 AM   #1
gs1403
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 6MT

Ordering a 2020 M4

Lease is coming up on my current car and I'm planning to order a M4 before BMW closes the order banks. The reason for ordering is that I'd like to ride out the last two months of my current lease and wait for the exact car I want.

Lease 12k/36
2020 M4 Coupe 6MT
Alpine White
Orange Extended
Competition
Executive

MSRP: $77,945

Based on the posts here, I should be looking at about 10% off before rebates and incentives. None of the three dealers I've contacted here in the NY Tri-State area are willing to come even close to that. The best I've gotten is $4k under MSRP before rebates and incentives.

Can anybody make a dealer recommendation or otherwise tell me that I'm being unreasonable in my expectations? I'm willing to make a long drive to find the right deal.
Appreciate 1
zamboni1124.50
      10-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
secretanchitman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 M4 6MT

Garage List
I was able to get 13% off after rebates and incentives on my 2020 M4 but this was in July.

I wish I knew of a dealer in the NE that would help you but mine was local to the Chicago suburbs. I would absolutely refer you to my CA if you lived closer!
Appreciate 2
zamboni1124.50
gs14031392.00
      10-30-2019, 02:25 PM   #3
AIRHEIR
X3M Comp
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

PM sent
Appreciate 1
gs14031392.00
      10-31-2019, 10:08 PM   #4
gs1403
Captain
Rep

Appreciate the responses.

After almost three weeks of back and forth with about 10 dealerships in the NY/NJ area, coming to an agreement with one dealership only for them to drag their feet when I committed (gave them credit info and cc deposit form) because they did not want to honor their deal and ended up giving the allocation to somebody else, and speaking to several sales mangers who told me nobody would give me the deal I wanted on an allocation and to come back when I wanted to be reasonable, I found a guy who was willing and put my order through today.

FWIW, I got 9% plus incentives and my car is now scheduled for production. Will be a new M4 owner in December! Ended up not going for the ZCP as I have reservations about daily driving with the super low-profile tire setup.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2019, 06:23 AM   #5
knepsterd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1403 View Post

After almost three weeks of back and forth with about 10 dealerships in the NY/NJ area, coming to an agreement with one dealership only for them to drag their feet when I committed (gave them credit info and cc deposit form) because they did not want to honor their deal and ended up giving the allocation to somebody else, and speaking to several sales mangers who told me nobody would give me the deal I wanted on an allocation and to come back when I wanted to be reasonable, I found a guy who was willing and put my order through today.

FWIW, I got 9% plus incentives and my car is now scheduled for production. Will be a new M4 owner in December! Ended up not going for the ZCP as I have reservations about daily driving with the super low-profile tire setup.
Moral of the story
Never buy a car in tri state
You will never find a deal
Every car I have leased or purchase last 20 years has been 250 miles plus from NYC and not CT NJ or NY
Long Island is the worse
BMW Audi Porsche MB RR even Toyota and Honda
They know they have wealthy clientele so they can be rude and hold their ground.

O
Appreciate 1
G8rGrl568.50
      11-01-2019, 07:40 AM   #6
secretanchitman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Congrats on your purchase! I went non-ZCP on my car as well - what are the specs on yours?
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2019, 08:00 AM   #7
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

ahh just seeing this. Hopefully you got all set up. Would have loved to had a shot to have Jimmy Bach give you a comparison quote. All good, congrats on the new order

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
gs14031392.00
      11-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #8
gs1403
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knepsterd View Post
Moral of the story
Never buy a car in tri state
You will never find a deal
Every car I have leased or purchase last 20 years has been 250 miles plus from NYC and not CT NJ or NY
Long Island is the worse
BMW Audi Porsche MB RR even Toyota and Honda
They know they have wealthy clientele so they can be rude and hold their ground.

O
The Tri-State dealership network certainly has its share of bad apples, but there are definitely deals to be had as well. The biggest reason for this is the sheer amount of dealerships within driving distance of any point in the NYC metro area. This is unless you want a Range Rover, whose four JLR dealerships in NYC/LI are all owned by the same company. Those guys can, and will sell Range Rovers at MSRP.

I'm not particularly averse to searching far and wide for deals. My current Audi was shipped to me from MA, but the process was such a pain in the ass. What should have taken a week took almost a month, my brand new car was delivered filthy with half a tank of gas and 150 miles on the odometer with bumper damage that somebody tried to touch up with non-matching paint. And nobody there gave a sh!t or returned my calls. I will typically only buy out of state if I exhaust every single option here first and/or somebody has the exact car I want.
Appreciate 1
knepsterd375.50
      11-01-2019, 12:00 PM   #9
gs1403
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretanchitman View Post
Congrats on your purchase! I went non-ZCP on my car as well - what are the specs on yours?
Thanks. Seems like nobody on here gets a car without ZCP these days, which had me second guessing myself. Noticed that you're one of the few who did though. Love your spec.

Went with a simple build:

Alpine White
Orange Full
19" Black forged
Executive
6MT

Coming from having 3 consecutive Audi S5s, my thinking is that the M4, ZCP or not is going to be more than enough performance for me. Was very close to getting the ZCP but did the full leather instead.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 12:52 PM   #10
secretanchitman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. Seems like nobody on here gets a car without ZCP these days, which had me second guessing myself. Noticed that you're one of the few who did though. Love your spec.

Went with a simple build:

Alpine White
Orange Full
19" Black forged
Executive
6MT

Coming from having 3 consecutive Audi S5s, my thinking is that the M4, ZCP or not is going to be more than enough performance for me. Was very close to getting the ZCP but did the full leather instead.
Awesome, looks great and good to see another 6MT owner! Thank you, I figured I had to do this car up properly.

I know most everyone here likes ZCP but like you, I put the money towards full leather. I personally cannot stand the black trim, wheel options or the terrible cut out seats without adjustable lumbar support - I actually drove two 2020 M4s back to back (one with ZCP and the other without) and I honestly didn't see much difference.

That being said, there are a bunch of tuners (Alex@Alpine is the one I've been recommended) who can code/flash the ZCP, CS, or even GTS software into the car for a few hundred so I'm probably going to go that route eventually. Don't feel too bad that you passed on ZCP.

How did you like the S5s? I came from an E92 335i 6MT which was an amazing car but this was the last year of F82 and it was confirmed that ZCP was going to be standard a few months ago (which never ended up being true in the states apparently?) so I went ahead and figured this was going to be my car for the next decade at least.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 04:16 PM   #11
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Ended up not going for the ZCP as I have reservations about daily driving with the super low-profile tire setup.
Did you realize that you could have ordered the same 19" Style 437 wheels that you got on your non-ZCP as a no-cost alternative to the 20" Style 666 wheels that are normally standard on the ZCP?

That's what my wife did with her 2018 M3 ZCP. Smoother, no worry ride for a daily driver and neither of us wanted to clean those 666 wheels. She has 18" APEX wheels for the track, so there was no need or desire for the 666 wheels.

I have a non-ZCP 2016 M4 and IMHO, the suspension is better sorted out and the exhaust sound is much better on my wife's ZCP (and I have the MPE). The ZCP option was released shortly after after I initially placed my order. I could have changed it and added ZCP but at the time I didn't like the silver 666 wheels (black wasn't an option then) and there was no 19" option, and I thought that the lack of an adjustable lumbar support would be an issue. It's not. In hindsight, I now regret my decision, which is the only regret I have about this car.

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 11:13 PM   #12
secretanchitman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Did you realize that you could have ordered the same 19" Style 437 wheels that you got on your non-ZCP as a no-cost alternative to the 20" Style 666 wheels that are normally standard on the ZCP?

That's what my wife did with her 2018 M3 ZCP. Smoother, no worry ride for a daily driver and neither of us wanted to clean those 666 wheels. She has 18" APEX wheels for the track, so there was no need or desire for the 666 wheels.

I have a non-ZCP 2016 M4 and IMHO, the suspension is better sorted out and the exhaust sound is much better on my wife's ZCP (and I have the MPE). The ZCP option was released shortly after after I initially placed my order. I could have changed it and added ZCP but at the time I didn't like the silver 666 wheels (black wasn't an option then) and there was no 19" option, and I thought that the lack of an adjustable lumbar support would be an issue. It's not. In hindsight, I now regret my decision, which is the only regret I have about this car.
I drove the 2020 M4 non-ZCP and ZCP models back to back and there wasn't that big of a difference for me personally (the forced black trim everywhere didn't help). The 4K saved went into full leather and other niceties. That being said, most people on here seem to prefer ZCP and it does help the car feel more sorted like you said!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 01:31 AM   #13
gs1403
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Awesome, looks great and good to see another 6MT owner! Thank you, I figured I had to do this car up properly.

I know most everyone here likes ZCP but like you, I put the money towards full leather. I personally cannot stand the black trim, wheel options or the terrible cut out seats without adjustable lumbar support - I actually drove two 2020 M4s back to back (one with ZCP and the other without) and I honestly didn't see much difference.

That being said, there are a bunch of tuners (Alex@Alpine is the one I've been recommended) who can code/flash the ZCP, CS, or even GTS software into the car for a few hundred so I'm probably going to go that route eventually. Don't feel too bad that you passed on ZCP.

How did you like the S5s? I came from an E92 335i 6MT which was an amazing car but this was the last year of F82 and it was confirmed that ZCP was going to be standard a few months ago (which never ended up being true in the states apparently?) so I went ahead and figured this was going to be my car for the next decade at least.
Yep, I remember that press release a couple months ago. Pretty odd of BMW to put out something like that and not follow through. Competition either way wouldn't have been a deal breaker.

Love the S5s. Very refined cars and much more usable daily than a M4, especially in the NE. First one with the V8 and 6MT was my favorite. Going into the M4, I will certainly miss the AWD, much more forgiving suspension and the Audi interior. Always felt that the standard F8X interiors were pretty bad in terms of material selection, hence my choice to get the full leather since the vast majority of the time spent with these cars is inside them. Really transforms the look and feel

Very curious to see how your car turns out. No doubt it's a very unique build and definitely on the classy and usable end of the spectrum of how you can spec these cars.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2019, 02:23 AM   #14
gs1403
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post

I am aware that you can spec the 19s with the ZCP but I didn't go this route for two reasons: 1. Just a mentality thing but you still pay the same price regardless of wheel choice. I feel like the cost of the larger wheels eats up a significant portion of the $4750 price differential and by foregoing those you're also not fully getting your money's worth. If there was a credit for picking the 19s, I may likely have gone this route. 2. Budgeting myself boiled down to a choice between the full leather or the ZCP, but not both. At the end of the day I think I just wanted the leather dash more. In this sense, I suppose the larger wheels weren't my only reason for not getting the ZCP.

Admittedly, this wasn't an easy decision to make by any stretch. You can see from my original post that I was initially set on ordering this car with the ZCP and without the full leather. I have never driven a ZCP M3/4 despite having spent many days behind the wheel of various non-ZCP M4s. Maybe I should have tested one before ordering this car because two of my biggest issues with how the standard M4 drove were how stiff the suspension was and the power delivery in first and second. But all the M4s I drove were early model years (2015/2016s) and many here have also stated that BMW has since tweaked the standard cars to address these issues to some degree as well.

To each his own though and I certainly agree that ZCP with the 19s would offer the best of both worlds in terms of driving experience. In an ideal world, I would have gotten the ZCP with the 19s as well as the full leather. I do like the cut through seats and the deeper exhaust, and all the black exterior trim goes well with the Alpine White. Writing this is making me second-guess myself again.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 03:34 PM   #15
secretanchitman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am aware that you can spec the 19s with the ZCP but I didn't go this route for two reasons: 1. Just a mentality thing but you still pay the same price regardless of wheel choice. I feel like the cost of the larger wheels eats up a significant portion of the $4750 price differential and by foregoing those you're also not fully getting your money's worth. If there was a credit for picking the 19s, I may likely have gone this route. 2. Budgeting myself boiled down to a choice between the full leather or the ZCP, but not both. At the end of the day I think I just wanted the leather dash more. In this sense, I suppose the larger wheels weren't my only reason for not getting the ZCP.

Admittedly, this wasn't an easy decision to make by any stretch. You can see from my original post that I was initially set on ordering this car with the ZCP and without the full leather. I have never driven a ZCP M3/4 despite having spent many days behind the wheel of various non-ZCP M4s. Maybe I should have tested one before ordering this car because two of my biggest issues with how the standard M4 drove were how stiff the suspension was and the power delivery in first and second. But all the M4s I drove were early model years (2015/2016s) and many here have also stated that BMW has since tweaked the standard cars to address these issues to some degree as well.

To each his own though and I certainly agree that ZCP with the 19s would offer the best of both worlds in terms of driving experience. In an ideal world, I would have gotten the ZCP with the 19s as well as the full leather. I do like the cut through seats and the deeper exhaust, and all the black exterior trim goes well with the Alpine White. Writing this is making me second-guess myself again.
Do whatever you feel is right but I'd say stick with what you have.
Appreciate 1
gs14031392.00
      11-03-2019, 01:37 AM   #16
gs1403
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Do whatever you feel is right but I'd say stick with what you have.
I probably will. As much as I appreciate certain aspects of the Comp pack, most of the time spent with this car will be inside of it, where, if not for the full leather, I'll be surrounded by the rather poor (relative to other German manufacturers) quality, heavily textured plastics BMW for some reason uses for their F8X interiors.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2019, 10:20 AM   #17
secretanchitman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I probably will. As much as I appreciate certain aspects of the Comp pack, most of the time spent with this car will be inside of it, where, if not for the full leather, I'll be surrounded by the rather poor (relative to other German manufacturers) quality, heavily textured plastics BMW for some reason uses for their F8X interiors.
Same here!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 09:49 PM   #18
gs1403
Captain
Rep

Car is complete and heading to port!
Attached Images

2023 G82 M4 Competition / Dravit Grey Ind. / Silverstone/Black Full Merino / Carbon Fiber trim / Bi-color 826M / Executive / M Carbon Ceramic Brakes / Icon Adaptive LED Headlights / M Shadowline Lights / M Carbon Exterior
Appreciate 2
      11-14-2019, 09:39 PM   #19
secretanchitman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Getting closer! Not too long to wait now
Appreciate 1
gs14031392.00
      11-14-2019, 10:19 PM   #20
lukej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp,

I’ve owned several new cars and thought oh no big deal,, but I’m in the same boat and it’s killing me..

Can’t wait!

2. I’m not an (EXPERT) I’m just here with an opinion. So
don’t hate me. (lukej)
Appreciate 1
gs14031392.00
      11-14-2019, 11:35 PM   #21
gs1403
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Getting closer! Not too long to wait now

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukej View Post
I’ve owned several new cars and thought oh no big deal,, but I’m in the same boat and it’s killing me..

Can’t wait!
Yep, the only things keeping me sane are the BMW configurator and this forum. That and compulsively checking the online tracking site ten times a day. I'm sure you guys know exactly how it feels.
2023 G82 M4 Competition / Dravit Grey Ind. / Silverstone/Black Full Merino / Carbon Fiber trim / Bi-color 826M / Executive / M Carbon Ceramic Brakes / Icon Adaptive LED Headlights / M Shadowline Lights / M Carbon Exterior
Appreciate 2
      11-15-2019, 07:50 AM   #22
secretanchitman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yep, the only things keeping me sane are the BMW configurator and this forum. That and compulsively checking the online tracking site ten times a day. I'm sure you guys know exactly how it feels.
I did the exact same thing and I'm sure *many* others did as well! It will be here very soon and be worth the wait!!
Appreciate 1
gs14031392.00