R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

04-26-2023, 08:44 PM   #1
ak_NorCal
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 YMB ZCP M3 & '17 MG 330i

Driver Restraint System Malfunction

I got the dreaded Driver Restraint System Malfunction. I am not sure if this has to do with a defect, something going haywire, or if Carly has to do anything with it. I had coded my F80 CP with Carly to enable the easy entry. Of course it did not work, and I have since given up on Carly. However, a day or two later my car greets me with the message above. Has anyone dealt with this and been able to fix it, or is this going to end up being a trip to the dealer to have them figure it out? Any help appreciated here. I have had VW, Audi and Porsche cars and used VAG Com (VCDS) and coded quite a bit, so I am reasonably certain I did not mess anything up, but if Carly is less robust than VCDS, who knows...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 03:17 AM   #2
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_NorCal View Post
I got the dreaded Driver Restraint System Malfunction. I am not sure if this has to do with a defect, something going haywire, or if Carly has to do anything with it. I had coded my F80 CP with Carly to enable the easy entry. Of course it did not work, and I have since given up on Carly. However, a day or two later my car greets me with the message above. Has anyone dealt with this and been able to fix it, or is this going to end up being a trip to the dealer to have them figure it out? Any help appreciated here. I have had VW, Audi and Porsche cars and used VAG Com (VCDS) and coded quite a bit, so I am reasonably certain I did not mess anything up, but if Carly is less robust than VCDS, who knows...
Hi
need to check faults first, then we'll know what is the issue
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2023, 05:43 PM   #3
ak_NorCal
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 YMB ZCP M3 & '17 MG 330i

issue resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
Hi
need to check faults first, then we'll know what is the issue
Okay, so Kubax86 solved it. It seems as if Carly did mess up something, and it was easily remedied. I have been using VCDS aka VAGCom on my VW, Audi, Porsche cars for years and never had that SW corrupt anything. Carly achieved that on the first try. It also does not seem to be able to distinguish between my 2016 F31 and my 2018 F80. It thinks that the F80 has a manipulated mileage, and I had that car from day one. It also thinks that my automatic transmission is bad - except for I have a manual. Therefore, PSA: Do not use Carly.
Appreciate 0