Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

07-14-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
03Saleen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Brought Car In For Service Now BimmerTech Backup Camera Wont Work

Hey guys I just brought my car in for service and the service advisor called to tell me I had a backup light out and he was going to order a new bulb but then he asked me if I had a aftermarket backup camera and I said yes. He said he thinks it has something to do with it not working. Everything was working fine before service no indicators a bulb was out or anything, so it leads me to believe they updated something that messed it up. I'm heading back tomorrow for a, "New bulb" which I dont believe is the problem and to tell them to put the old software back on the car. Anyone else ran into this issue with Bimmertech cameras?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 08:31 PM   #2
faiz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP SO/Amaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Saleen
Hey guys I just brought my car in for service and the service advisor called to tell me I had a backup light out and he was going to order a new bulb but then he asked me if I had a aftermarket backup camera and I said yes. He said he thinks it has something to do with it not working. Everything was working fine before service no indicators a bulb was out or anything, so it leads me to believe they updated something that messed it up. I'm heading back tomorrow for a, "New bulb" which I dont believe is the problem and to tell them to put the old software back on the car. Anyone else ran into this issue with Bimmertech cameras?
Maybe the bulb needs to be working for it to work. Think current continuity.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 08:57 PM   #3
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Is your camera tapped into the light or is it plug and play?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 09:35 PM   #4
03Saleen
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
Is your camera tapped into the light or is it plug and play?
I believe it is tapped to the reverse bulb because my car is manual. I didnt install it, a car audio shop did. There were no problems with either before I brought it in for service.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 04:20 PM   #5
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

The Bimmertech camera doesn't tap or splice any wires. It has its own run of wires.

It's possible they updated the software. What other work/service was being done? If they did update the software, reverting back to the "old" software will not get the camera working agin, i think. It will need to be re-coded by the car audio shop or Bimmertech. This would be my guess, having installed the Bimmertech backup cam on my 6MT myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 05:22 PM   #6
MrMotorwerk
Inline 6, 6MT enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Old E46, 2016 SS2 M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots
The Bimmertech camera doesn't tap or splice any wires. It has its own run of wires.

It's possible they updated the software. What other work/service was being done? If they did update the software, reverting back to the "old" software will not get the camera working agin, i think. It will need to be re-coded by the car audio shop or Bimmertech. This would be my guess, having installed the Bimmertech backup cam on my 6MT myself.
I believe "Manual + MMI Unit = No Coding but Wiretap" and "Manual + OEM integration = Coding Required and No Wiretap"
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 01:30 AM   #7
03Saleen
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMotorwerk View Post
I believe "Manual + MMI Unit = No Coding but Wiretap" and "Manual + OEM integration = Coding Required and No Wiretap"
Yes I have the manual + MMI. So BMW replaced the bulb and they said because the wire was tapped it was creating too much resistance on the line blowing the bulbs, so they disconnected the tap now I have no backup camera. To anyone who has installed this exact system are you supposed to tap the reverse bulb or tap the shifter's reverse wire?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 09:24 AM   #8
MrMotorwerk
Inline 6, 6MT enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Old E46, 2016 SS2 M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Ping nelson@BimmerTech, he's on the forums.
Appreciate 0