BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-25-2022, 06:45 PM   #1
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, G37x

O2 sensor cleaning - mistake? PLEASE HELP

Kind of wrong forum but need help.
2010 Infiniti G37x
I installed a set of Megan test pipe DP's - 1st mistake but cat was broken and rattling and these were CHEAP.
Throws a CEL but runs fine but rich.
Decided to get a set of 90 degree O2 sensor extensions to help turn off CEL and return to normal non-rich condition.
Decided to clean the sensors with carb cleaner like the internet says - 2nd mistake, I know to only change one thing at a time but ran rich like this for 9 months and figured they were too dirty.
Dried them with a small butane torch for 1 min.
Installed them with 90 degree extensions.
Now have P0301 code/misfire cyl 1.
Tested the ohms and got 3-5
Can't get voltages while heating them, don't if I am doing it right, I hate electronics BTW.
Swapped the sensors cross car - no change
Removed the 90 deg extensions - no change
Am I looking at getting another set of O2 sensors or will they eventually dry out?
FML
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 09:56 AM   #2
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

O2 sensors are easily damaged... i had low mileage sensors go bad because i had to move the car with only headers installed due to a incoming hurricane. The codes were specific to O2 sensors tho.
If those codes are O2 specific, i would try new sensors. Also i dont know too much about your car model and running catless DPs. Extenders might not work. Do they make O2 sims to trick the computer? I would go with that if possible...
Appreciate 0