R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-22-2020, 10:22 AM   #23
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLyfe View Post
Hey guys this spring planning to take the F83 on a long trip and having some fun in the sun..and kind of worried since the car does not have a spare or a jack.. i don't want to carry a full size spare as there is limited trunk space in the car as is.. I do have towing form AAA & my auto insurance and BMW roadside assistance. Do all BMW dealer carry these tires in stock (20' competition wheels) in stock?

I read somewhere that the spare tire does not fit in the trunk well either.. what are my options besides flying and getting a rental? I rather take my F83 but don't want to get stuck either..
Get 4 brand new tires before your trip.

New tires are very robust.

Peace of mind

Enjoy your road trip!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 02:39 PM   #24
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebiker View Post
@@[SD ///M4] interesting. The donut is the same diameter (26") as the 255/40/18 front tire. But the rear tire is 26.7". So even the Honda "swap the front to the rear" trick wouldn't work?
Of course it's not an ideal situation, but it would get you to someplace where you can get the flat tire fixed.

I found the 2000 S2000 Owner's Manual online and here's what it says about driving on the mini-spare:
"The compact spare tire is smaller than a standard tire, which will affect the vehicle's handling. Drive cautiously when this spare is mounted on your vehicle. The size difference may also cause damage to the rear differential, so do not mount the compact spare on the rear. If either rear tire goes flat, remove the front tire on that same side, mount the compact spare tire on the front, then mount the front tire on the rear."
P.S. The way you can let someone know you named them in a post is to put a single "@" in front of their name. It appears that you put two and it didn't work correctly. The way to do this is to type the "@" and start typing the name. The BBS will start to auto select names from the user list which match what you've typed. When you see the name you want, select it. It should show up in your post with a special box around the name, but will show up in the message while you're typing it like this, but without the spaces:
Code:
 @ [icebiker] (contact:419770)

Appreciate 1
icebiker492.00
      01-22-2020, 03:34 PM   #25
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Quote:
@@[SD ///M4] interesting. The donut is the same diameter (26") as the 255/40/18 front tire. But the rear tire is 26.7". So even the Honda "swap the front to the rear" trick wouldn't work?
Of course it's not an ideal situation, but it would get you to someplace where you can get the flat tire fixed.

I found the 2000 S2000 Owner's Manual online and here's what it says about driving on the mini-spare:
"The compact spare tire is smaller than a standard tire, which will affect the vehicle's handling. Drive cautiously when this spare is mounted on your vehicle. The size difference may also cause damage to the rear differential, so do not mount the compact spare on the rear. If either rear tire goes flat, remove the front tire on that same side, mount the compact spare tire on the front, then mount the front tire on the rear."
P.S. The way you can let someone know you named them in a post is to put a single "@" in front of their name. It appears that you put two and it didn't work correctly. The way to do this is to type the "@" and start typing the name. The BBS will start to auto select names from the user list which match what you've typed. When you see the name you want, select it. It should show up in your post with a special box around the name, but will show up in the message while you're typing it like this, but without the spaces:
Code:
Quote:
Quote:

Code:
Thanks man! I actually did exactly that last night and it worked for phatlyfe, not for you though. As soon as I hit the space bar after "SD" nothing showed up in the choices. I then tried SD///M (no spaces) as well as SD only and your name didn't pop up , so I tried to force it. With little success as you noted. But glad you saw the post and thanks for the intel. I think in the case of the M we have a challenge in that the front tire is a smaller diameter than the rear so switching front to back and donut to front doesn't solve the LSD problem, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 04:21 PM   #26
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5

Quote:
Can you post a link for the plug kit? thanks
Slime Rope Plug Kit from my local Autozone. I have them for my car and motorcycle tires. It has basic rope (sticky) type plugs. Same kits available on Amazon.
      01-22-2020, 04:32 PM   #27
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks man! I actually did exactly that last night and it worked for phatlyfe, not for you though. As soon as I hit the space bar after "SD" nothing showed up in the choices. I then tried SD///M (no spaces) as well as SD only and your name didn't pop up , so I tried to force it. With little success as you noted. But glad you saw the post and thanks for the intel. I think in the case of the M we have a challenge in that the front tire is a smaller diameter than the rear so switching front to back and donut to front doesn't solve the LSD problem, right?
Well, that's interesting! I didn't know that because of course I have never needed to do that with my own username! I guess, the next best thing it to just quote the post.

I think that if you are carrying a mini-spare and get a flat in the rear tire that swapping the front tire to the back and putting the mini-spare in the front would be the best option rather than putting the mini-spare on the rear. And you'd have to get the flat fixed/replaced ASAP.

If you were on vacation though, and had a trunk full of stuff, now you've got the problem of putting the flat rear tire in the trunk when it's already full of stuff. So you've got to get at least some of that stuff into the back seat (harder in an M4 than an M3) or fold down the seats and rearrange the whole area to fit everything. Hopefully you've brought a large garbage to put the flat tire in, particularly if it were wet and/or muddy, and you still have to get the flat tire fixed/replaced ASAP.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 04:37 PM   #28
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I've done many road trips with my M3 and its one of the best cars for this surprisingly because it keeps the driver engaged. I enjoy taking the M3 on road trips more than my previous X5M.

I keep this and a compressor inside my trunk. Haven't had to use it yet (knock on wood)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Alan
      01-22-2020, 05:33 PM   #29
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I've done many road trips with my M3 and its one of the best cars for this surprisingly because it keeps the driver engaged. I enjoy taking the M3 on road trips more than my previous X5M.

I keep this and a compressor inside my trunk. Haven't had to use it yet (knock on wood)
This Dynaplug model looks like it's more robust than the one that I linked to on the first page and contains more plugs and insertion tubes, but more than twice as expensive. Still relatively inexpensive though.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 05:59 PM   #30
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
This is great feedback! I think that you're supposed to get the puncture fixed properly with an inside patch at a tire store though, but good to know that it lasted so long!
You put the “twizzler” piece thing into the puncture with the handle and pull the handle out, and that causes the “twizzler” to double back on itself and basically creates a plug inside the tire.

I didnt experience any air loss so I figured it was good to go with USA caliber of 0-80mph street commuting.

That being said, if I was going track or vmax it on a-bahn I would absolutely replace both tires on that half of the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 06:19 PM   #31
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
You put the “twizzler” piece thing into the puncture with the handle and pull the handle out, and that causes the “twizzler” to double back on itself and basically creates a plug inside the tire.

I didnt experience any air loss so I figured it was good to go with USA caliber of 0-80mph street commuting.

That being said, if I was going track or vmax it on a-bahn I would absolutely replace both tires on that half of the car.
I don't think that it "doubles back". It goes straight in, the brass insertion cone stays in the tire, and the insertion tube is pulled out, leaving the plug in the puncture.. If you click on the Amazon link that I posted above, the last picture on the left shows the plug in the tire, from the inside of the tire. The second to the last picture indicates that it "will last the life of your tire for a permanent repair", so I guess that you don't need to get it patched.

Last edited by SD ///M4; 01-22-2020 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 08:28 PM   #32
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011zx10R View Post
Get 4 brand new tires before your trip.

New tires are very robust.

Peace of mind

Enjoy your road trip!
I would love too, but my ride only has 7k miles on them and sill look very good.. i only use the car in warm weather above 60 and spring to fall weather, other than the car stays plugged to a trickle charger in the garage.

Planning to get PPF put on in the next few weeks also..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:18 PM   #33
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep

@PhatLyfe here are the pics as promised. Garage was dark and trunk light was messing with the camera exposure so forgive my arm and rag in lower right.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:36 PM   #34
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I drove my M4 around 1300 miles from St. Louis to my new home in Miami, loaded up with a couple hundred pounds of things I needed. Trunk full, backseats full, even stuff on the passenger's seat. 1300 miles went by like nothing, what a car.
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe984.00
      01-22-2020, 10:32 PM   #35
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
@PhatLyfe here are the pics as promised. Garage was dark and trunk light was messing with the camera exposure so forgive my arm and rag in lower right.
Thank you IceBiker, these pictures ar every helpful and your able to put the trunk lid down to put the convertible top down.. thanks again..

Did you purchase the spare tire kit from Online or get an x5 rim and the tire on your own?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 10:41 PM   #36
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you IceBiker, these pictures ar every helpful and your able to put the trunk lid down to put the convertible top down.. thanks again..

Did you purchase the spare tire kit from Online or get an x5 rim and the tire on your own?
I bought the spare unused from a fellow bimmer poster. Came with lugs, centering ring and spacer. I'm not sure where he picked it up but I believe it was from bimmerzone;

https://www.bimmerzone.com/bmw-3-ser...cccdea8f74b501
Appreciate 0