Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-23-2020, 01:43 AM   #309
Kilabyte
Second Lieutenant
Poland
123
Rep
216
Posts

Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMDZidane View Post
I'm looking forward to hearing it
Me too....on my own car
__________________

S55, 2JZ
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 02:28 AM   #310
Ed_rx7
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
84
Rep
340
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 CP
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Probably somewhere but does anyone have clips of an MPE with magnaflow resonators in place of the secondary cats?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 01:39 PM   #311
Lifestyler
Second Lieutenant
Lifestyler's Avatar
Germany
39
Rep
280
Posts

Drives: F80 m3 competition
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

So now we build H after the equal lenght and delate midresonator (was X pipe inside before) full 3"

Paired with MPE


Last edited by Lifestyler; 01-23-2020 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2020, 02:36 PM   #312
remixaflip
Enlisted Member
United_States
18
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: AW M4 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: norcal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifestyler View Post
So now we build H after the equal lenght and delate midresonator (was X pipe inside before) full 3"

Compared with MPE

Sound Clips? Interested to see how this sounds!
__________________
2015 AW 6MT M4
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2020, 03:27 PM   #313
Lifestyler
Second Lieutenant
Lifestyler's Avatar
Germany
39
Rep
280
Posts

Drives: F80 m3 competition
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Sounds not that good, way to loud and screaming imo.

We add some resonators and maybe go back to x pipe or make the "equal lenght" part longer.

Will see soon.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2020, 03:59 PM   #314
ntg44
Major
ntg44's Avatar
United_States
1209
Rep
1,252
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifestyler View Post
Sounds not that good, way to loud and screaming imo.

We add some resonators and maybe go back to x pipe or make the "equal lenght" part longer.

Will see soon.
Since you're redoing it anyways, it would be worth your time to measure from downpipe connection to H pipe on the driver's side with string, then measure the passenger side with the U bend. The U bend side should be 14 inches longer, or close to it. I had a feeling it wouldn't turn out well, your U bend looks smaller than I expected.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 05:59 PM   #315
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
spool twice's Avatar
United_States
300
Rep
1,677
Posts

Drives: BMW M4cs
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tampa Bay, FL Area

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Space out the bend another 1-1.5" (or whatever that converts to in metric) before replacing the H-pipe with an x-pipe to see if that corrects the sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 01:24 AM   #316
Lifestyler
Second Lieutenant
Lifestyler's Avatar
Germany
39
Rep
280
Posts

Drives: F80 m3 competition
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Yes we will add about 4 inch into the U bent soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 06:36 AM   #317
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
spool twice's Avatar
United_States
300
Rep
1,677
Posts

Drives: BMW M4cs
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tampa Bay, FL Area

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Just to also clarify, you don't have the OE center resonator on there right? With the H-pipe section built into it?
__________________
-Loe P.-
Prior: '02 S4 6spd / '04 M3 SMG / '04 S4 6spd / '07 E92 335i 6spd / '09 E90 M3 DCT
Sold:'14 Audi S5 DSG [ APR ECU/TCU | Pullies + basic bolt-on mods | 10.861@127.90mph ]
Current: '19 M4cs, '17 Jetta 1.4t 5spd
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 06:55 AM   #318
doughboy
Major General
doughboy's Avatar
United Kingdom
839
Rep
7,927
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Comp 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifestyler View Post
Yes we will add about 4 inch into the U bent soon.
Remember, the u-bend needs to ADD 14" to the pipe length, that means the ubend assembly will be much longer than 14", more like 22" if it replaces 8" of straight pipe.

Don't just make a 14" ubend that will be to short.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 06:58 AM   #319
ntg44
Major
ntg44's Avatar
United_States
1209
Rep
1,252
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Remember, the u-bend needs to ADD 14" to the pipe length, that means the ubend assembly will be much longer than 14", more like 22" if it replaces 8" of straight pipe.

Don't just make a 14" ubend that will be to short.
Which is why I suggested measuring from the downpipe connection to the H pipe with string That's what Top Gear did, and well, you hear how glorious it sounds haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 07:18 AM   #320
doughboy
Major General
doughboy's Avatar
United Kingdom
839
Rep
7,927
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Comp 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

We're going to use specially calibrated string to measure mine...

That will make it sound even better
Appreciate 2
      01-24-2020, 08:53 AM   #321
Lifestyler
Second Lieutenant
Lifestyler's Avatar
Germany
39
Rep
280
Posts

Drives: F80 m3 competition
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Which is why I suggested measuring from the downpipe connection to the H pipe with string That's what Top Gear did, and well, you hear how glorious it sounds haha.
Where the latest sound video of urs?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 09:08 AM   #322
ntg44
Major
ntg44's Avatar
United_States
1209
Rep
1,252
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifestyler View Post
Where the latest sound video of urs?
For my custom system, check Post #3 of this thread. V2 is the most current.

For the upcoming Top Gear system, still waiting patiently

I hope I have something meaningful to share with everyone by end of day today. I'm trying my best not to spam bump this thread if I have nothing of substance to share.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2020, 11:53 AM   #323
Kilabyte
Second Lieutenant
Poland
123
Rep
216
Posts

Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (1)

I'm just hoping that when open it's not quieter than my MPE
__________________

S55, 2JZ
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 12:07 PM   #324
ntg44
Major
ntg44's Avatar
United_States
1209
Rep
1,252
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
I'm just hoping that when open it's not quieter than my MPE
Won't know for sure until it's done, but titanium has its own acoustic properties that make it louder than stainless steel. One thing I know for sure is TG system will be SS. But anything with a muffler bypass valve is going to be loud.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 12:27 PM   #325
Ed_rx7
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
84
Rep
340
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 CP
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Will they be offering just a midpipe?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 01:17 PM   #326
ntg44
Major
ntg44's Avatar
United_States
1209
Rep
1,252
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_rx7 View Post
Will they be offering just a midpipe?
The design of the exhaust which gives it the unique tone makes mating to any of the existing mufflers out there impossible.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #327
Kilabyte
Second Lieutenant
Poland
123
Rep
216
Posts

Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Won't know for sure until it's done, but titanium has its own acoustic properties that make it louder than stainless steel. One thing I know for sure is TG system will be SS. But anything with a muffler bypass valve is going to be loud.
I have no issues with the material, I'm simply used to the loudness with the valves closed and open
__________________

S55, 2JZ
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 05:22 PM   #328
Ed_rx7
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
84
Rep
340
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 CP
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
The design of the exhaust which gives it the unique tone makes mating to any of the existing mufflers out there impossible.
Boooooo...... AA midpipe it is then😂
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 06:43 PM   #329
calebcross
New Member
calebcross's Avatar
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M4
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Ellicott City, MD

iTrader: (0)

I just read through this entire thread and now I want to equal-length my AWE Track Edition exhaust for my M4. That would be insane.

I assume everything would work the sameľ just make sure the passenger side is 14 inches longer from the downpipe than the driver side and then merge with H or X-Pipe right after that?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 06:59 PM   #330
ntg44
Major
ntg44's Avatar
United_States
1209
Rep
1,252
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebcross View Post
I just read through this entire thread and now I want to equal-length my AWE Track Edition exhaust for my M4. That would be insane.

I assume everything would work the sameľ just make sure the passenger side is 14 inches longer from the downpipe than the driver side and then merge with H or X-Pipe right after that?
Yep. Just need to delete the x pipe at the beginning of the system in addition to the above changes and you're good to go.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST