GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-07-2019, 09:34 PM   #221
330indy
CCA member
330indy's Avatar
United_States
392
Rep
1,899
Posts

Drives: e46 + e92
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Indy

iTrader: (0)

Old M3 is P51

;-)

(Bad analogy I know, I just wanted to post this pic! Love that F22!)
Attached Images
 
__________________
00 Z3 - Conforti, Magnaflow
02 330i ZSP - Dinan Stage3, Corsa
13 M3 ZCP - Corsa
3 pedals all, Redline fluids
Appreciate 1
smiff28.50

      05-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #222
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
BimmerMan33's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
111
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Illinois, USA

iTrader: (0)

Did anyone who previously had e92 M3 and now has F8x feel like the F8x feels like a modified 335 while the e92 M3 felt special/Motorsport like?
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2019, 01:26 PM   #223
Mazen189
Private
53
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M4
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMan33 View Post
Did anyone who previously had e92 M3 and now has F8x feel like the F8x feels like a modified 335 while the e92 M3 felt special/Motorsport like?
No

Not even close
Appreciate 4
      05-26-2019, 03:58 PM   #224
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
1807
Rep
2,245
Posts

Drives: Yaz M3
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: TX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMan33 View Post
Did anyone who previously had e92 M3 and now has F8x feel like the F8x feels like a modified 335 while the e92 M3 felt special/Motorsport like?
Lmao, troll post. Do you own an F8x, the engineering chassis stats alone state your are way off.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 02:39 PM   #225
Humdizzle
Captain
876
Rep
980
Posts

Drives: 2010 ferrari 458
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMan33 View Post
Did anyone who previously had e92 M3 and now has F8x feel like the F8x feels like a modified 335 while the e92 M3 felt special/Motorsport like?
the F80 is better in every way.

the 4 door gets a CF roof, its lighter, better brakes, better cooling, better turn in, better steering, better chassis. better interior and tech.

The e92 is fun. and its just quick enough in my opinion. But the F80 is scary fast. I like my cars to scare me a little
__________________

2010 Ferrari 458
2015 SSII F80 6MT
2009 Honda Civic
Previous: E36 M3 | E46 M3 | R35 GTR | FR-S | F30 335i
Appreciate 3
      05-30-2019, 09:29 AM   #226
Fortyb
M-GAM3
Fortyb's Avatar
157
Rep
1,228
Posts

Drives: 2016 SO M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Huntsville,Al/WHO DAT

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
the F80 is better in every way.

the 4 door gets a CF roof, its lighter, better brakes, better cooling, better turn in, better steering, better chassis. better interior and tech.

The e92 is fun. and its just quick enough in my opinion. But the F80 is scary fast. I like my cars to scare me a little
I agree^ and also great Fuel economy for a 400+ car. The only flaw to me is the Exhaust sound.
__________________
Car Enthusiast.


https://www.mflight.org/
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle875.50

      05-30-2019, 09:53 AM   #227
weavingtraffic
Private
Russia
54
Rep
99
Posts

Drives: slow
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1990 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
2004 BMW 330XI  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortyb View Post
I agree^ and also great Fuel economy for a 400+ car. The only flaw to me is the Exhaust sound.
See I feel like I'm in the minority here.. I have a 2015 M so no comp pack. Stock exhaust note is wonderful, although would prefer a little bit louder. It all comes down to taste and opinion of course.. there's no right or wrong. But out of the box I love it.

As for being on topic, I think it comes down to what kind of cars you've owned or prefer. The F80 is the final boss so to speak. Crazy oomph in any power band, rigid chassis and when loading up the suspension there's plenty steering feel. For a newer vehicle that is. I will say that OP if you haven't yet done the GTS steering flash, it was a game changer.

Comparing the E92 and the F80 is apples to oranges IMO. NA V8 vs TT I6. Motor characteristics are going to be insanely different. Both are built upon the same principles, however as new technology goes.. you have more intrusive assistance and less mechanical feel. The f80 isn't a car that I would describe as raw. It is a car that can do it all, whether DD, track or road trip duty. Has a balance of being numb and brisk when it needs to be. As with older cars the balance becomes less numb - more mechanical and provides the driver with much more feedback.

Comes down to what you use the car for man. There's no right or wrong. I have the F80 for DD duty and obliterating speed limits.. And then an E30 for the raw visceral driving experience... No nannies, just man and machine.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 11:04 AM   #228
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
4084
Rep
5,883
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
the F80 is better in every way.

the 4 door gets a CF roof, its lighter, better brakes, better cooling, better turn in, better steering, better chassis. better interior and tech.
I currently have two E9X M3s and an F80 CS

The F80 is **not** better in every way. What a blanket statement

Things that are worse in the F80:
-nav mandatory
-much worse steering. It's entertaining to see someone thinks EPS F8X is better than hydraulic steering in the E9X
-no induction sound
-turbo fart can exhaust noise instead of actual exhaust sound
-oiling system only capable of 1.3g vs 1.4g E9X
-stupid once piece seats designed to appease the feeble minded. In reality you lose the ability to run a Scroth QuickFit Pro harness and run a Hans device on your stock-seat M3

And here are some advantages of the F80 that don't actually exist, although some think they do
-Better brakes. For what exactly? If you track seriously you will blow through the OEM ones and light them on fire. Again, a trick for the feeble minded. Basically, if you track at a level the F8X brakes hold up it is likely the E9X ones would also work
-Lighter. As I've actually weighed both of mine completely stock and with full tanks of gas, I know this is a lie. My F80 CS weighs 46 lb more than my E92 ZCP. Are there cases where the F8X is lighter than a poorly optioned E9X? Of course, but forget the '100-150lb weight advantage' I've heard around here for years


Even the better cooling advantage is only useful for serious tracking.

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 05-30-2019 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 2
      05-30-2019, 12:10 PM   #229
Humdizzle
Captain
876
Rep
980
Posts

Drives: 2010 ferrari 458
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I currently have two E9X M3s and an F80 CS

The F80 is **not** better in every way. What a blanket statement

Things that are worse in the F80:
-nav mandatory
-much worse steering. It's entertaining to see someone thinks EPS F8X is better than hydraulic steering in the E9X
-no induction sound
-turbo fart can exhaust noise instead of actual exhaust sound
-oiling system only capable of 1.3g vs 1.4g E9X
-stupid once piece seats designed to appease the feeble minded. In reality you lose the ability to run a Scroth QuickFit Pro harness and run a Hans device on your stock-seat M3

And here are some advantages of the F80 that don't actually exist, although some think they do
-Better brakes. For what exactly? If you track seriously you will blow through the OEM ones and light them on fire. Again, a trick for the feeble minded. Basically, if you track at a level the F8X brakes hold up it is likely the E9X ones would also work
-Lighter. As I've actually weighed both of mine completely stock and with full tanks of gas, I know this is a lie. My F80 CS weighs 46 lb more than my E92 ZCP. Are there cases where the F8X is lighter than a poorly optioned E9X? Of course, but forget the '100-150lb weight advantage' I've heard around here for years


Even the better cooling advantage is only useful for serious tracking.
alot of this is subjective.

- Yes the e92 sounds better. i'll give it that.

- steering is subjective.

- mandatory nav is something i like, i like seeing what I'm listening to up on a screen. having a HUD that lets me focus on the road instead of looking down. e92's without nav look cheap to me, although i get some people that don't want the bubble on the dash.

- The f80 offers carbon ceramics, not an option on the E92. The f80 has better 60-0 braking as well with the non ceramics. 99ft vs 100ft. its close but that difference could be a bumper. Its funny you mention tracking and that both will fail. well of course. you're going to upgrade that stuff for track regardless. But i'd venture a guess that a loaded f80 with ceramics will have its brakes last much longer than a loaded e92 from factory.

- seats. The e92 seats were a big disappointment to me. you sit so high up in the car compared to an f8x.

- you mention the f80 oiling system only being able to hold 1.3 G compared to 1.4, then turn around and say 'oh well the f80 has better cooling, but that's only needed for the track'.

- weight --> yes you can spec each car to be heavier. but in general the f8x cars with equal options will be lighter. while offering more tech at the same time. My f80 with 11 gallons weighed in at 3460. Your M3cs is heavier than a base m3 with a manual. a 2015 manual cf roof f80 will be about the same as a e92 zcp. except the f80 gets: 4 doors and a bigger back seat, a better stereo, better headlights, a HUD, better suspension/chassis, etc. the f80 is definitely lighter than the e90 which is a more fair comparison.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440612
__________________

2010 Ferrari 458
2015 SSII F80 6MT
2009 Honda Civic
Previous: E36 M3 | E46 M3 | R35 GTR | FR-S | F30 335i

Last edited by Humdizzle; 05-30-2019 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 02:48 PM   #230
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
4084
Rep
5,883
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
alot of this is subjective.

- Yes the e92 sounds better. i'll give it that.

- steering is subjective.

- mandatory nav is something i like, i like seeing what I'm listening to up on a screen. having a HUD that lets me focus on the road instead of looking down. e92's without nav look cheap to me, although i get some people that don't want the bubble on the dash.

- The f80 offers carbon ceramics, not an option on the E92. The f80 has better 60-0 braking as well with the non ceramics. 99ft vs 100ft. its close but that difference could be a bumper. Its funny you mention tracking and that both will fail. well of course. you're going to upgrade that stuff for track regardless. But i'd venture a guess that a loaded f80 with ceramics will have its brakes last much longer than a loaded e92 from factory.

- seats. The e92 seats were a big disappointment to me. you sit so high up in the car compared to an f8x.

- you mention the f80 oiling system only being able to hold 1.3 G compared to 1.4, then turn around and say 'oh well the f80 has better cooling, but that's only needed for the track'.

- weight --> yes you can spec each car to be heavier. but in general the f8x cars with equal options will be lighter. while offering more tech at the same time. My f80 with 11 gallons weighed in at 3460. Your M3cs is heavier than a base m3 with a manual. a 2015 manual cf roof f80 will be about the same as a e92 zcp. except the f80 gets: 4 doors and a bigger back seat, a better stereo, better headlights, a HUD, better suspension/chassis, etc. the f80 is definitely lighter than the e90 which is a more fair comparison.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440612
Steering is subjective? Since when? I believe every single mag was quite clear that the F8X steering is worse than the E9X steering. I won't waste time looking for the quotes, that you debate this tells me I'm wasting my time

CCBs are yet another option for the feeble minded if you expect them to hold up to track use. Spoken by someone who has participating in destroying the CCBs in a M4 GTS in less track days than a regular steel BBK would take

100 vs 99ft? You think that may have to do with PSS tires vs PS2 tires on each generation?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 04:15 PM   #231
Humdizzle
Captain
876
Rep
980
Posts

Drives: 2010 ferrari 458
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Steering is subjective? Since when? I believe every single mag was quite clear that the F8X steering is worse than the E9X steering. I won't waste time looking for the quotes, that you debate this tells me I'm wasting my time

CCBs are yet another option for the feeble minded if you expect them to hold up to track use. Spoken by someone who has participating in destroying the CCBs in a M4 GTS in less track days than a regular steel BBK would take

100 vs 99ft? You think that may have to do with PSS tires vs PS2 tires on each generation?
for sure the f80 has better turn in and the front end stays more planted. in terms of feel.. both cars are good, not great but not bad.

Here is the first article i pulled from google. bmwblog no less. he gives praise to the e92 but says objectively, even handling, the M4 is better.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/02/07/s...-does-it-feel/

I guess the M division doesn't know what they are doing with CCBs. an 8000 dollar option that is useless. Again we are comparing stock vs stock. If you toasted a set of factory f8x CCBs in a few track days then the stock e92 brakes would do far worse.

same with the tires. now you're making excuses for the e92. You said it doesn't brake any better than an e92, i pointed out that it does, then you blame the oem tires and want PSS. now we are playing the mod game. which goes heavily in the f80's favor. upgrade an e92s tires to PSS... I can use that same money for a BM3 tune and DP to put an extra 100whp+ down.
__________________

2010 Ferrari 458
2015 SSII F80 6MT
2009 Honda Civic
Previous: E36 M3 | E46 M3 | R35 GTR | FR-S | F30 335i

Last edited by Humdizzle; 05-30-2019 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 04:12 PM   #232
DenaS54M
New Member
3
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: E46M
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

I never owned an E90 series M, but coming from the E46 and into the F80 I wish I would have bought the E92M just to have them all... The noise the E92M Makes it beautiful.

The F80 is a better car in every way possible though.. The interior, etc. My M is corner balanced on KW V3's with sticky MPS4 rubber over FI-R's. The way it handles is pretty nuts. That being said, a clean E92M on BBS E88's looks pure sex!

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 03:45 AM   #233
10biie89
Private First Class
10biie89's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
145
Posts

Drives: 18 F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: OC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenaS54M View Post
I never owned an E90 series M, but coming from the E46 and into the F80 I wish I would have bought the E92M just to have them all... The noise the E92M Makes it beautiful.

The F80 is a better car in every way possible though.. The interior, etc. My M is corner balanced on KW V3's with sticky MPS4 rubber over FI-R's. The way it handles is pretty nuts. That being said, a clean E92M on BBS E88's looks pure sex!

Same here, coming from E46 M3, thought of going with E92 before I get my hands on F80 but F80 is just too fast and so much sexier. E9X sounds great and all but never were fan of dull interior of that E9X and MPG is just too horrible, not to mention rod bearing, issues with DCT and throttle actuator problems..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 08:15 AM   #234
MTrezzz
Major
MTrezzz's Avatar
United_States
127
Rep
1,322
Posts

Drives: Lime Rock Edition
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Long Island

iTrader: (1)

F8X sucks

I've driven 2015, 2017 Competition and CS. Never was impressed :/

The 3.0 isn't good enough they should have kept it in a series car lol
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 11:47 PM   #235
BimmerMan33
Private First Class
BimmerMan33's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
111
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Illinois, USA

iTrader: (0)

Currently driving an E92 M3 6MT, daily driver with 5 - 7 track days. Rented a 2017 F80 M3 and drove 200 miles, canyon driving as well as routine commuting, this is what I feel:
F80 more fun than E92 for canyon driving and track use, torque down low makes it brisk/fast plus the chassis is more buttoned down than the E92.
E92 feels more special even in regular commute driving while F80 feels like a sportier 335i in similar commute situations.
I'm not feeling any major urge to switch from E92 to F80 for now and am considering C7 Stingray Z51 7MT with Mag ride, don't need back seats.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST