ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-16-2019, 10:53 AM   #1
whyagwj
Registered
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Metallic vibration sound at 1500RPM

I owned my 15 m3 for 1 year and the current mileage is 66000KM. I noticed this sound about a few weeks ago, I can hear the sound only at 1500 rpm and it sounds like sort of metallic vibration from underneath of the car. It doesn't appear to affect the performance of the car. Does anyone recognize this sound? Any solution to fix it?

Here is the sound clip

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hVR...ew?usp=sharing

You can hear the sound at 0:03

Last edited by whyagwj; 05-16-2019 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: wrong info
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #2
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

My car doesn't have that sound but it could be a million things. Hopefully somebody here has had the sound and knows what it could be, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 01:13 PM   #3
Bloodykotex
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80 ZCP

Do you have any exhaust mods ? Do it happen while stationary in neutral ? Or does it have to be under engine load ? Easiest way i guess is to have the vehicle in the air and trying to duplicate the noise while under the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 01:16 PM   #4
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

Sounds like this
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 01:09 AM   #5
M3 Pilot
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17' F80 M3 ZCP

I have a metallic rattling sound around 1950rpm. It only rattles between around 1950-2050rpm.

Tried shaking the MPE, checked the licence plates while on hoist but couldn't get it to rattle. Rattles when reving stationary and moving off.

I will be checking to see if its the wastegate rattle but I just don't see the sound coming from the front of the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 02:04 AM   #6
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320 Si, BMW M4 comp. BMW M

My car also rattles in the exhaust area, but only on colstart. As soon as it heats up a Little it disappears.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 06:31 AM   #7
M3anth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by M 4 FUN View Post
My car also rattles in the exhaust area, but only on colstart. As soon as it heats up a Little it disappears.
Same. Only on cold start. It seemed to be reduced after adding the AA midpipe.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 04:10 PM   #8
SIVLE_M3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I had the same issue on my 16' 6MT. Took it in 3 times and they could not figure it out. It was so loud sounded like something was grinding in the rear. Fortunately started to go away on its own after 10k miles or so.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #9
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Pilot View Post
I have a metallic rattling sound around 1950rpm. It only rattles between around 1950-2050rpm.

Tried shaking the MPE, checked the licence plates while on hoist but couldn't get it to rattle. Rattles when reving stationary and moving off.

I will be checking to see if its the wastegate rattle but I just don't see the sound coming from the front of the car.
GTS has this as well, right in that rpm range. Under light acceleration in D the next gear grabs right under 2k rpm and I hear it with every upshift. It's coming from the muffler area for sure. Not like the gasket sound in the vid above

Not really a concern to me since it's 1 of 100 noises in the GTS. Would like to know what it is though.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #10
Dasd329
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 F82

Did you turn cold start off with a tune? My AA mid and MPE exhaust back do the same thing even way worse when the car starts up with cold started turned off via tune. Once you drive around a bit and things get warmed up it goes away so hard to think it’s actually something loose.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #11
wdskukm3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 and Model P3D

I an definitely hearing a rattle or grind in the rear on cold start and also while I'm driving on slow speeds. But it slowly goes away when everything warms up. It's a bit annoying in the morning. Not sure what to do here.
      06-15-2019, 05:01 AM   #12
ukbmwm4
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Did you find out what this noise was? my car does the exact same noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyagwj View Post
I owned my 15 m3 for 1 year and the current mileage is 66000KM. I noticed this sound about a few weeks ago, I can hear the sound only at 1500 rpm and it sounds like sort of metallic vibration from underneath of the car. It doesn't appear to affect the performance of the car. Does anyone recognize this sound? Any solution to fix it?

Here is the sound clip

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 03:21 PM   #13
RikiM2c
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:

Here is the sound clip

Hi,
I have the same problem on my M2 Competition!
Went to Bmw but they said that there’s nothing wrong with the car..
Did you find where the vibration sound came from?
Thanks you!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 03:36 AM   #14
kumkeet
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 Dakar Yellow II

Check your exhaust muffler for cracks.

MPE known to crack.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ight=mpe+crack
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 10:57 PM   #15
solomonster
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83

2015 F83 M4 rattling/buzzing @ 1,500rpm

Hi all, I too have this issue on my 2015 F83 M4. Standard Exhaust, not MPE. It only materialises under load at around 1,500RPM, and when the engine is warm.

I have shared an audio file, me driving with the passenger holding a phone out the window, recording ;-) - can be heard multiple times: 06, 15, 18, 21, 24, 26, 28, 29, 37, 40 seconds and more.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuZjWVMrTiREv75t...lpE-A?e=HdMXWp

The first time I took it to BMW, they said they couldn't replicate. After taking it back to BMW for the second time I took the mechanic for a drive and showed him how to replicate. He had the car for the better part of the day and replicated it and eventually said it was the exhaust valves rattling!

About 18 months ago, I opened the Exhaust valves intentionally, to get a better sound out of the exhaust. To do this, I followed the instructions as shown here:

(Basically opening the valves with the car ignition on but engine not started, and then unplugging the solenoid on the exhaust valve harness, taping up the plugs and tucking them away.)

So basically, with the open exhaust valve sitting stationary for so long, BMW say that this has caused the valves to wear in-situ and are rattling.

I am not too mechanical, does this make sense or not?

Last edited by solomonster; 05-08-2021 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: added attachment
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 08:55 PM   #16
kumkeet
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 Dakar Yellow II

My exhaust valves rattle at low rpm, heavy load as well. And I have never disconnected them.

I basically just shift gear at higher rpm nowadays. Low RPM high load is bad for engine anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 08:20 PM   #17
f80bm3
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3

@solomonster I am hearing the exact same thing and just went through the same process with the dealer. The first time I took it in, they couldn't hear it so I went back the next day and replicated it for them.

They told me that it was the cats/resonators in the mid pipe and ordered new ones and replaced them. After doing so, their notes said that the noise was actually louder! Since they replaced that section of the exhaust, they replaced the gaskets and hardware where the downpipe meets the mid pipe as well. I was told that adjusting the bolts in that section changed how bad the noise got.

After they got the noise back to how it was when I dropped it off, they called me and explained that there was a different M3 in for service and that it was making the same rattle. Then they proceeded to tell me that it was a normal/expected noise!

I am a bit torn on what to do now because I am expecting an equal length mid pipe at the end of the month. Good news for me is that they did the hardest part of the install with is getting the bolts out of the downpipe. Their notes also indicated that a coupe of those bolts broke lol The bad new is I cannot live with this rattle and I'm worried if they couldn't get it right, I won't be able to get it right either with the new mid pipe.

My options are to take it to another dealer and see if there is a better outcome. Or get some new gaskets and whatever else I can for the mid pipe install and hope I can resolve it myself. Any advice would be appreciated.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2021, 12:09 AM   #18
solomonster
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80bm3 View Post
@solomonster I am hearing the exact same thing and just went through the same process with the dealer. The first time I took it in, they couldn't hear it so I went back the next day and replicated it for them.

They told me that it was the cats/resonators in the mid pipe and ordered new ones and replaced them. After doing so, their notes said that the noise was actually louder! Since they replaced that section of the exhaust, they replaced the gaskets and hardware where the downpipe meets the mid pipe as well. I was told that adjusting the bolts in that section changed how bad the noise got.

After they got the noise back to how it was when I dropped it off, they called me and explained that there was a different M3 in for service and that it was making the same rattle. Then they proceeded to tell me that it was a normal/expected noise!

I am a bit torn on what to do now because I am expecting an equal length mid pipe at the end of the month. Good news for me is that they did the hardest part of the install with is getting the bolts out of the downpipe. Their notes also indicated that a coupe of those bolts broke lol The bad new is I cannot live with this rattle and I'm worried if they couldn't get it right, I won't be able to get it right either with the new mid pipe.

My options are to take it to another dealer and see if there is a better outcome. Or get some new gaskets and whatever else I can for the mid pipe install and hope I can resolve it myself. Any advice would be appreciated.
@f80bm3 thanks for your reply - I am not mechanical at all but will be sure to feed back if somehow I get to the bottom of this issue. Good luck with your mid pipe, please keep us posted on how you go!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 10:27 AM   #19
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Most probably a waste gate rattle. The waste gate arm is adjustable but when it's out of spec you will get a code. The dealership would have to replace the whole turbo set as waste gate is built into the housing.

This is a common issue amongst turbo cars and gets worse as it ages.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 07:00 PM   #20
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

Here is the sound clip

I have the same thing! A little rattle around 1500 only when in 2nd or 3rd gear at low rpm and accelerating. Any further ideas on how to diagnose and fix?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 08:14 PM   #21
Shubacca
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E36/7 M Roadster

I'm trying to revive all the exhaust rattle threads. My '17 ZCP with stock exhaust has the same rattle mentioned above. 1500-1700 RPM accelerating with basically any throttle input. Very easy to replicate. I took the valve controllers off and the only thing I learned is that there is nothing I can do with the exhaust mounted in place on the car. From what I can tell there also isn't a lot that can be done to "tighten" things up. Tapping the exhaust with a rubber mallet doesn't even generate any metallic sounds. I cranked down on the 10mm bolts to see if it was the valve controllers themselves - nope.

So far, the only thing that's certain is that it's basically exclusive to Efficient mode. Based on this, it has to be an exhaust valve right? Or are some guys still thinking the waste gate is to blame?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 08:46 PM   #22
brocurls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mazdarati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubacca View Post
I'm trying to revive all the exhaust rattle threads. My '17 ZCP with stock exhaust has the same rattle mentioned above. 1500-1700 RPM accelerating with basically any throttle input. Very easy to replicate. I took the valve controllers off and the only thing I learned is that there is nothing I can do with the exhaust mounted in place on the car. From what I can tell there also isn't a lot that can be done to "tighten" things up. Tapping the exhaust with a rubber mallet doesn't even generate any metallic sounds. I cranked down on the 10mm bolts to see if it was the valve controllers themselves - nope.

So far, the only thing that's certain is that it's basically exclusive to Efficient mode. Based on this, it has to be an exhaust valve right? Or are some guys still thinking the waste gate is to blame?
I have a MY20 M4 with stock ZCP and it rattles in any mode right around 1800-1900 RPM everytime after the engine is warm. Doesn't happen on cold starts.

Like someone else mentioned, I just shift at higher rpms now.

DD: 2020 Mazda CrystalWhite CX-5 GT w/PP
Wife's: 2023 Audi S5 Sportback DistrictGreen Premium Plus w/Blk Optic Package
Appreciate 0