European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-10-2020, 03:20 PM   #45
Tintking
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP AY convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by l00semarble View Post
I don't have access to car to take more pics. It is 1.5 hours away and supposedly at a inspection place waiting for a MD state trooper to come check it.

Did my picture above not come through? I posted a close up with the dot matrix.

I would love for you to be right because that would give an obvious path to ownership for me. The dealership would be happy is this were true too but so far they agree this is not the case.

I would be more likely to think you are right if this were the only car with these dark rear windows but the fact of the S420A Sun Protective Glazing option listed and the fact there are numerous examples out there of these unbalanced front/rear tint jobs on the 30th Jahre cars makes me wonder.

How often do customers ask for this kind of untinted front and fairly dark back on this kind of car? I would imagine anyone paying for tint on a nice M3 is going to get something that looks more balanced even if it is 35%/20%.

Thank you again for your thoughts and participation.
It’s not that uncommon for people to have light or possibly no tint on their front doors and have it dark in the back. All depends on their preference and what they feel they can get away with or state laws etc.

The photo you posted is too close to see correctly. The dots around the edge of the window will look like it has a slightly silvery appearance which is actually air trapped around the dots. In dark factory glass like you see on trucks and SUVs you don’t even see these dots because the glass itself is tinted not just the inside surface. Tell the dealer to send you some more pictures of the glass and less you have some you can look at. I completely understand your hesitancy to completely believe I’m right but this is my field of expertise. Just let me know when you find out it’s aftermarket Tint.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 04:25 PM   #46
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

bUt mUh wINdOw tINt ! Love the car and if it's oem privacy glass even better. This thread confuses the hell out of me🙃
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 04:29 PM   #47
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
bUt mUh wINdOw tINt ! Love the car and if it's oem privacy glass even better. This thread confuses the hell out of me🙃
What's confusing my man? Won't pass MD inspection because the rear windows are too dark. No inspection equals no registration.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 04:59 PM   #48
c0nrad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
What's confusing my man? Won't pass MD inspection because the rear windows are too dark. No inspection equals no registration.
get the car and get a medical waiver saying you need the tints or else you get a headache
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 02:00 AM   #49
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
European here. This is what we have in Europe, it is a factory option on all BMW's (and other many other manufacturers) and it is very popular.

My F80 has this option, S420A. Can confirm there is no tint film; the glass behind the B-pillar is darkened, and all windows with this option have their own part numbers. Check realoem.

I am surprised to see this on a US-spec vehicle as I have never seen this option available on the F30 in the USA.
I checked online and most of the cars do have privacy windows on the rear.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 07:47 AM   #50
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintking View Post
Take a couple of pictures of the quarter glass or around the edge of the rear window where the dot matrix is and I can tell you if I see film. Take it from the outside of the car and you don’t need to get real close just make sure it’s clear. I will bet $1 million plus ownership of my car if I’m wrong LOL.
I would not bet anything if I were you...
I lived in Europe 2010-2012 and you can order factory darkened windows, there is no tint film on them.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 09:00 AM   #51
Buckeye///M
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP

Can the dealer not just remove the door trim panel and look at the bottom portion of the glass? If it is factory, the entire piece of glass will be tinted. If it is aftermarket tint, it won’t cover the glass all the way to the bottom?

Last edited by Buckeye///M; 01-12-2020 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 03:17 PM   #52
l00semarble
Private
Rep
Drives: GT3RS, FocusRS, E400 wagon

It is not film. Razor blade can not lift or scratch. I want tintking to be right but it just seems that there is an option for darker than 35% OEM privacy glass and that would make the car illegal in Maryland from day 1.

But....

It depends on how you read the regs. The code of Maryland regulations mentions the application of Post manufacture window film and gives the parameters what is allowed. The entire section of the regulations mentions Post manufacturer over and over. One interpretation would be that if there is Not any application of anything post manufacture than that entire section of the regulations doesn’t apply. Unfortunately the state police trooper that was called to the inspection place to make a judgment thought otherwise.

I thought about getting a lawyer involved. But that starts to seem kind of crazy. Why the fuck would I have to pay a lawyer to help register bone stock production car?
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2020, 04:46 PM   #53
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Well there you go, new guy comes onboard and all things are now in disarray. Way to go new guy.

I wonder if a call to BMW USA might be in order? Have nothing to lose (except time).

Ps of note, for the other poster, this edition was available in both DCT and manual -but none had a sunroof I believe.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 05:47 PM   #54
l00semarble
Private
Rep

I called BMW USA. Useless talking to the rent a clerk that answered the phone. I need access to a real product manager or field sericpve tech/engineer that actually knows something.

Anyone have any way to contact someone with real knowledge?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 05:49 PM   #55
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
I called BMW USA. Useless talking to the rent a clerk that answered the phone. I need access to a real product manager or field sericpve tech/engineer that actually knows something.

Anyone have any way to contact someone with real knowledge?
doubtful you would get better answers than this fourm
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 06:31 PM   #56
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
If it's factory, plenty of suvs have this dark of rear window tint. Do they make Maryland spec oem models with no back privacy glass?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 06:40 PM   #57
l00semarble
Private
Rep

SUVs, trucks, and minivans are subject to different tint regulations than sedans/passenger cars. In MD.

It’s completely fkd up.
Appreciate 1
sabrina475.50
      01-12-2020, 06:44 PM   #58
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It's completely fkd up.[/QUOTE]
Quote:
SUVs, trucks, and minivans are subject to different tint regulations than sedans/passenger cars. In MD.

It's completely fkd up.
Holly shit, this is insane! I feel for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 09:46 PM   #59
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Something is very off here.

The glass is DOT approved with a DOT approval number.

It would not be if illegal.

Furthermore, there is a part number for a USA with option 420, yet, if you put that part number in GetBMWParts.com (which is in a Maryland, fwiw) or any other online BMW Parts Supplier, it comes up not found.

Makes one wonder how you would replace if the window was ever damaged

On top of that, there is a difference in the appearance of the replacement glass. See below

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_8484
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 02:55 AM   #60
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Very interesting. Being from the UK I would guess that over 90% of our new cars have the option “Sun protection glass” on everything from the B pillar back. Front side window tints and windscreen tints are a huge no go over here. Police will literally stop you and make you rip it off at the roadside, and then give you a fine/ticket.

I actually quite like the half tinted look now, used to hate it, but familiarity breeds contempt. Now cars without any tints look odd.

Anyways OP, hope you get a solution and get your car registered soon. Best of luck.

Instagram c1_cdg
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 06:54 AM   #61
Tintking
Private
Rep

Quote:
It is not film. Razor blade can not lift or scratch. I want tintking to be right but it just seems that there is an option for darker than 35% OEM privacy glass and that would make the car illegal in Maryland from day 1.

But....

It depends on how you read the regs. The code of Maryland regulations mentions the application of Post manufacture window film and gives the parameters what is allowed. The entire section of the regulations mentions Post manufacturer over and over. One interpretation would be that if there is Not any application of anything post manufacture than that entire section of the regulations doesn’t apply. Unfortunately the state police trooper that was called to the inspection place to make a judgment thought otherwise.

I thought about getting a lawyer involved. But that starts to seem kind of crazy. Why the fuck would I have to pay a lawyer to help register bone stock production car?
Who used a razor blade on the window? You or someone from dealership telling you this? I still don’t believe it. How are you able to scrape the windows with a razor and not able to post a photo as I requested?? There is no way this car would be manufactured and sent to US with factory tinted “SUV privacy” glass like depicted in the photos. It is against our federal regulations. It would be like getting a car without crash protection features or side marker lights or emissions controls! The only way it could possibly occur is if someone was able to buy European spec glass and have it shipped to the US and installed in this car. This would cost a few thousand dollars instead of getting the windows tinted here for a few hundred. Only an idiot would do this.

I’m glad that so many of the responses here indicate they have either not read my posts or have ignored them completely.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 07:06 AM   #62
Tintking
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drF80 View Post
I would not bet anything if I were you...
I lived in Europe 2010-2012 and you can order factory darkened windows, there is no tint film on them.
Are we in Europe? Is this a European spec car? What’s normal or common in other countries has no bearing if we are talking about a vehicle in the US in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 08:32 AM   #63
l00semarble
Private
Rep

Damn tintking. We are not ignoring your info but it seems you are ignoring the fact that this car (and other 30th Jahres I have found) are built with option S420A right on the build sheet which is factory "sun protection glazing" which is common on SUVs and may be common in ROW.

I agree that it makes no sense that this option could be installed and not be legal and that is the entire point of this long, confusing and inconclusive thread. Something just doesn't make sense.

I did not personally test windows with razor. I want you to be right. Maybe I drive 3 hours today and see for myself due to your confidence?

Or maybe I'll try to get some more photos.
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4478.50
      01-13-2020, 08:37 AM   #64
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintking View Post
Are we in Europe? Is this a European spec car? What’s normal or common in other countries has no bearing if we are talking about a vehicle in the US in my opinion.
I agree with you, however, how do you know this car did not come with the Euro Spec windows.
My first e90 had bits and pieces of Euro spec - yellow rear turn signals, came with the fog lights pre-installed and I bought it brand new in AZ.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 09:45 AM   #65
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Tint guy trying to throw his tint knowledge around in a thread where it's not applicable.....please stop muddying the waters.
Appreciate 2
SD ///M42989.50
      01-13-2020, 11:06 AM   #66
Tintking
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drF80 View Post
I agree with you, however, how do you know this car did not come with the Euro Spec windows.
My first e90 had bits and pieces of Euro spec - yellow rear turn signals, came with the fog lights pre-installed and I bought it brand new in AZ.
Let me say I apologize for sounding cocky in all of this but I find it incredibly unlikely that this is not aftermarket film. I guess anything is possible but in over 25 years of experience in the car tinting business I have never encountered this and have never heard about it from any other tint shop owners So I will be very interested to find out what the end result is.
Appreciate 0