Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

01-21-2020, 08:33 AM   #89
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Seems like you have not travelled to Japan much
Ah, but see, Tesla will take it a few steps further. First, you can go right where you sit. Next, it'll use the methane and nitrogen to regenerate the batteries. Talk about GENIUS!!! All you'll need to take with you are a few cans of beans and some bottled water and you can do the 1000 mile road trip without stopping at all. Hell, with autopilot, you can even be sleeping the entire time, even while "regenerating the batteries".

I think I'll call a patent attorney
CanAutM321103.00
      01-21-2020, 11:49 AM   #90
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

The problem is and will be for a long time, you can pull up pretty much anywhere in the Country and fill your tank up when empty in 3 minutes, and drive another 300+miles.

Tesla..yeah, even if you have a rapid charger, you are sitting for 45min to get 80%...and you just need to plan for everything...like your stupid cell phone or smart watch...watching the battery level all the time and planning your life around an electrical outlet.

When they figure that out...people will finally be on board, and then, your average person whom their entire life has pulled up to a gas station and understands the issues/dynamics of that....great..but my wife would never charge the thing and find it dead in the morning while rushing out the door to work...oh now what?? Many people live/spend their lives staring at phones half the day, literally, and wondering about charging and battery life...now apply that to a car that needs the same attention and thought to get about? Shouldn't be that complicated for $50-90K electrical car. Infrastructure and charge rates are the main obstacle for 95% of consumers.
2011ninja3309.00
      01-21-2020, 12:45 PM   #91
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

We need to wait until solid state batteries are a reality in cars.
Appreciate 1
OUGrad05520.00
      01-21-2020, 03:30 PM   #92
gunsmoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Electric cars should be cheaper than ICE cars because of the charging inconvenience😁
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 09:14 PM   #93
Habs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3 ZCP, Mexico Blue

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Global automakers have decided that EV is the future, not consumers. It's my opinion that this is largely due to lower production cost, higher MSRP and thus larger margins. Tesla has made great advances but it's still a niche vehicle. The ICE will be around for a long, long time even if there are large advances in battery tech. Especially in the US.
I see it differently. It is the governments that have decided that EVs are the future, not the automakers. I also believe that it is the other way around in terms of costs, where EVs are more costly to produce (at least for now) and they are only viable in the market through government incentives.
Drove a model 3 loner for 2 days while my car was getting ceramic window tint at a local shop here in Houston. I can appreciate the tech and the straight line speed but the build quality is appalling and I found the minimalist interior unattractive at best. Then there's the issue of "regenerative braking", I guess it takes time to get used to it. The constant accelerations and quick decelerations as a soon as you lift your foot of the throttle made me nauseous. I read somewhere that Porsche tamed down the regen braking on the Taycan to avoid this issue and make it feel more "sports car" like vs golf cart. I really wanted to like the Tesla model 3. I even thought this could be my next purchase, but in reality I didn't like it at all.

And yes, It is a fact that as of now, these cars are more expensive than ICE cars to produce. They exist because governments decided it was the future and came up with emission credits schemes/tax breaks. A model S gets over $40k in subsidies and credits while Tesla still struggles to break even.
OUGrad05520.00
      01-21-2020, 09:22 PM   #94
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Global automakers have decided that EV is the future, not consumers. It's my opinion that this is largely due to lower production cost, higher MSRP and thus larger margins. Tesla has made great advances but it's still a niche vehicle. The ICE will be around for a long, long time even if there are large advances in battery tech. Especially in the US.
I see it differently. It is the governments that have decided that EVs are the future, not the automakers. I also believe that it is the other way around in terms of costs, where EVs are more costly to produce (at least for now) and they are only viable in the market through government incentives.
Drove a model 3 loner for 2 days while my car was getting ceramic window tint at a local shop here in Houston. I can appreciate the tech and the straight line speed but the build quality is appalling and I found the minimalist interior unattractive at best. Then there's the issue of "regenerative braking", I guess it takes time to get used to it. The constant accelerations and quick decelerations as a soon as you lift your foot of the throttle made me nauseous. I read somewhere that Porsche tamed down the regen braking on the Taycan to avoid this issue and make it feel more "sports car" like vs golf cart. I really wanted to like the Tesla model 3. I even thought this could be my next purchase, but in reality I didn't like it at all.

And yes, It is a fact that as of now, these cars are more expensive than ICE cars to produce. They exist because governments decided it was the future and came up with emission credits schemes/tax breaks. A model S gets over $40k in subsidies and credits while Tesla still struggles to break even.
bUt muH cAR DoeSnT nEed gAs
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 10:39 PM   #95
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
. Then there's the issue of "regenerative braking", I guess it takes time to get used to it. The constant accelerations and quick decelerations as a soon as you lift your foot of the throttle made me nauseous. I. .
There is a setting you can use to remove the regenerative braking.

Or you could roll on and off the throttle more smoothly, like a 6mt car in 1st gear. Your (lack of) throttle control is what made you nauseous, in my opinion.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 11:33 AM   #96
Habs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3 ZCP, Mexico Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Quote:
. Then there's the issue of "regenerative braking", I guess it takes time to get used to it. The constant accelerations and quick decelerations as a soon as you lift your foot of the throttle made me nauseous. I. .
There is a setting you can use to remove the regenerative braking.

Or you could roll on and off the throttle more smoothly, like a 6mt car in 1st gear. Your (lack of) throttle control is what made you nauseous, in my opinion.

I drove around much like I drive my car, spirited but not like maniac. I would have to try it again without "regen braking".
      01-22-2020, 04:20 PM   #97
Beemerm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW m3

Tesla's stocks will hit $1000 a share. Will that change your mind about owning a Tesla. For Californians it's easier because we live in a suburban area. But east coast the homes are built differently.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 06:06 PM   #98
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3classic View Post
Tesla's stocks will hit $1000 a share. Will that change your mind about owning a Tesla. For Californians it's easier because we live in a suburban area. But east coast the homes are built differently.

No, why would it? Their stock can hit a million bucks, but it would still be a fugly-ass, shitty quality, econobox-looking road wart. Tesla's stock price has zero to do with fundamentals and everything to do with the running ponzi scheme that is Wall Street. They just happen to be flavor of the month.
icegrill2076.50
Habs73.50
      01-23-2020, 09:15 AM   #99
MCanadaE46
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

You can live with both an ICE vehicle and Electric. Tesla is killing it in their own way and I enjoy how they're disrupting the auto industry (and car forums lol!). I want them to be successful.

I just ordered a Model S Long Range. Delivery expected end of the month. I looked at the Porshce, but there just isn't enough value for $$$.

I don't see this as a replacement to my M3 by any means but will def use the Tesla as our primary. You won't find me doing any mods on the Tesla or see me at any Tesla car meets. However, if my experience is good....I will share that with others. Which is what Tesla is relying on and is working.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2020, 03:00 PM   #100
Jason60051
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

The money Tesla wants for those interiors...cmon! The build quality is the pits and the design is certainly outdated. My friend has a new Model S...north of $100k sticker...yes it's fast...but I cannot get over the interior. To each their own!!
      01-24-2020, 05:39 PM   #101
Beemerm3
First Lieutenant
Rep

I've seen one guys model x. The falcon doors had gaps. Kind of surprised me how much of a gap there is. They are pushing out to the masses and forgetting about quality and art. Your goin to end spending a few more grand to get it align or gaps centered in somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 11:07 AM   #102
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3classic View Post
I've seen one guys model x. The falcon doors had gaps. Kind of surprised me how much of a gap there is. They are pushing out to the masses and forgetting about quality and art. Your goin to end spending a few more grand to get it align or gaps centered in somewhere else.
In my experience (living in NorCal), if there are any issues like that, you can refuse the car at delivery, or the factory will fix it (obviously for free) and give you a loaner.

Do you know anyone who had to spend a few grand getting the panels aligned?

It's understandable not to like the car, but don't spread fake news man. LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 11:31 AM   #103
Beemerm3
First Lieutenant
Rep

I've seen the gaps on the car. Is what I'm saying. Even theres video on YouTube the guy was measuring the gaps on a Tesla. I haven't noticed it on a model 3 though. Look it up. It's not fake news.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:09 AM   #104
wdskukm3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 and Model P3D

There are gaps on the Tesla Model 3. I've seen it because I got one. But they're just as big as the gaps that's on our M3. I compared both and they are similar on some body panels.
      01-28-2020, 06:58 AM   #105
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdskukm3 View Post
There are gaps on the Tesla Model 3. I've seen it because I got one. But they're just as big as the gaps that's on our M3. I compared both and they are similar on some body panels.
Yeah the M3 is not exactly gap-free. Look at the hood to bumper gap. The BMW is pretty consistent, where the Model 3s that I have inspected are not. One side will be different than the other.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 10:57 AM   #106
nickl630
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3CS, 09 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
In my experience (living in NorCal), if there are any issues like that, you can refuse the car at delivery, or the factory will fix it (obviously for free) and give you a loaner.

Do you know anyone who had to spend a few grand getting the panels aligned?

It's understandable not to like the car, but don't spread fake news man. LOL
It's always fun reading these threads... some act as if their masculinity is being questioned for liking an EV lol.
      01-28-2020, 12:24 PM   #107
milk242
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

I currently own both the M3 and Model 3 Performance. There will always be a place for the M3, as it just has a visceral feel even if the exhaust note sounds shitty. I’ve been lucky that I haven’t had any issues with the fit or finish of either car. Both cars are fully wrapped, model 3 in matte and m3 in gloss.
Appreciate 2
2011ninja3309.00
      01-28-2020, 12:46 PM   #108
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk242 View Post
I currently own both the M3 and Model 3 Performance. There will always be a place for the M3, as it just has a visceral feel even if the exhaust note sounds shitty. I’ve been lucky that I haven’t had any issues with the fit or finish of either car. Both cars are fully wrapped, model 3 in matte and m3 in gloss.
They're both great cars
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 03:24 PM   #109
macdemarcowerks
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Having driven regular M4, M4 Comp, M3 Comp and was in the market for one mainly cause I wanted some noise, I'm starting to question if I want one anymore. I drove a Tesla Model 3 Performance (M3P) with MPP coilovers + front lower control arm bushing and it had a Vorsteiner kit (for those complaining about looks) and it was absolutely amazing. The handling, steering and cornering is so much better than the stock M3P.

I drive really hard and fast around corners, curvy roads, twisties you name it. I go hunt for them lol and I find that I prefer the silence as the exhaust noise would be distracting. You can hear the tire noise and feedback and it's so much more zen and in the zone when I'm driving.

This is coming from someone who is in the market for a 458 Italia with an IPE straight pipe setup. Would I love to own an M4 comp one day? Sure, but mainly for the noise when I'm driving around for fun and downshifting. But when you're talking about really pushing the car, the noise is distracting IMO.

Having said that, it's not about ICE vs EV. There can be a perfect balance. For me it would be M3P as a DD and on the weekends it would be a 458 Italia. The quietest car and one of the loudest cars hehe
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2021, 01:52 AM   #110
Sukir
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

check out Lucid Motors if you want a nice interior and quality control
Appreciate 0