ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-21-2022, 06:10 AM   #265
CedricB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83 2020 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Use 400; I have 4 maps and some are scaled similar to stock
Ok, thanks, I’m willing to try 400 TR / TP 3 / map stage 2 (and sub options TP 2 and TP 1)
Would you know the difference between various map version?
Stage 2 : 1.0 vs 1.1 vs 1.2 (and why you recommend 1.0? Did you try 1.1 etc?)

Also, I read about driving “easy” for xxx miles for “DCT adaptation to the new settings”. But XHP support said “there are no adaptations on DCT cars”. Myth, reality, BS,…?

Cedric
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 06:56 AM   #266
davyent
Ghana
Rep
Drives: 15' BMW F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedricB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Hey Cedric,

Try Stage 2 V1.0

Under Options set Shift Points Stock, TP 5, TR400

Give that a go...been running that for over a year and I like it more than Stg.3 and newer modes.

EDIT: TP5 might give you the power bump that you don't like...I like it but w/e leave it alone if you don't want a bump.
Thinking about your TR 400, it would be too big for me, because my engine is stock (not like you 700+ HP power hungry tuners )
I understand from XHP support you should use an average of your mid shift point torque and top torque x .66
In my case : 375 + 550 / 2 x .66 = 305 —> I setup TR at 300.
The calculations is based off your crank torque not wheel TQ. The rule of thumb is to pull 2/3rd of your crank torque.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 09:57 AM   #267
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown65 View Post
you talking torque to load scaling?
I'm talking Torque Targets
      10-22-2022, 12:17 AM   #268
CedricB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyent View Post
The calculations is based off your crank torque not wheel TQ. The rule of thumb is to pull 2/3rd of your crank torque.
How do you know that? What’s the source? I can’t find any details on XHP website.

I measured “Actual Torque” with BimmerLink, got 240…ish.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 12:23 AM   #269
CedricB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Ok, thanks, I’m willing to try 400 TR / TP 3 / map stage 2 (and sub options TP 2 and TP 1)
Would you know the difference between various map version?
Stage 2 : 1.0 vs 1.1 vs 1.2 (and why you recommend 1.0? Did you try 1.1 etc?)

Also, I read about driving “easy” for xxx miles for “DCT adaptation to the new settings”. But XHP support said “there are no adaptations on DCT cars”. Myth, reality, BS,…?

Cedric
Ok, tried Stage 2 map / TR 400 / TP 1 —> meeh! (DL1 and DL2)

The “less worst” settings so far are :
Stage 1 / DL 2 TR300/TP1
Stage 3 / DL1 TR300/TP1

I still don’t understand the rational behind this slow (1s delayed) downshift in DL1, what are they trying to achieve (both BMW or XHP) ?
If this combination of existing settings can be put together in a custom map, I’d be happy as a bunny (DL1 upshift and DL2 downshift)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 09:03 PM   #270
Motown65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M4

Quote:
Ok, tried Stage 2 map / TR 400 / TP 1 —> meeh! (DL1 and DL2)

The “less worst” settings so far are :
Stage 1 / DL 2 TR300/TP1
Stage 3 / DL1 TR300/TP1

I still don’t understand the rational behind this slow (1s delayed) downshift in DL1, what are they trying to achieve (both BMW or XHP) ?
If this combination of existing settings can be put together in a custom map, I’d be happy as a bunny (DL1 upshift and DL2 downshift)
tp that low is going to feel sluggish. Clutch is probably slipping.. Flash v1.4 stage 3. If you want fast upshifts dl1 is worthless. I use dl2 for cruising. try 450/5. Id stay around 450 maybe move it between 400-500 and if it "hits" too hard on the shift drop tp to 4. Ive done probably more testing than anyone with xhp on dct and the guy above from ghana has been my side kick lol
Attached Images

Last edited by Motown65; 10-24-2022 at 03:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 10:39 AM   #271
Gotulukn
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible f83. M235i Gone

Quote:
Hi guys, searching forums, I realize this one existed already, so I’ll try to summarize my experience and questions here.
I purchased xHP. Flasher configuration, and the additional 3 maps pack for my stock M4 competition DCT 2020, (444HP) and successfully flashed « Stage 3 » V1.4 without any additional « Flash settings ».

I did a dozen drive tests, and this new Stage 3 flash still doesn’t give me the behavior I’m looking for. If anything, in S1 mode, I clearly feel and hear the gearbox being more « Spongy » when manual upshifting with the paddles (i.e. about a half-second transition going from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, etc). I’d like a crisp upshifting, with a distinct ignition cut between gears shift. But mostly, still, it does not provide the instant manual paddle downshift I’m looking for. (i.s. It takes half a second reaction to paddle manual downshift in S1)

In S2, it is not « Spongy » manual paddle upshifting, on the contrary, I get the « Power bump » forward which I do not want at all. The downshifts in S2 are instant-ok, and that’s what I’m looking for, but I had that behavior with the stock TCU software.

What should I do to get the behavior I want?
Upshifting : not-spongy, crisp, with no power bump, a fast blip-ignition cut upshift
Downshifts : instant rev-match blip downshift,
all in manual paddle activated mode.

I had that exact behavior on my previous 2012 335is DCT (stock TCU firmware in sport mode). Can we replicate that on my M4? Can you please help me?

Thanks.
Cedric.
What you're looking for is what I am looking for as well.
Fast crisp upshifting, with clear audible quick ignition cut to accentuate the shifting sound.

Like this DCT video
https://youtube.com/shorts/YhH_v_bkMXU?feature=share

Currently running full e85 stage 2 tune and MHD's GTS trans flash. My 2015 m4 convertible in S3 manual mode, is "sorta" quick, but there's no blip, it's just a "continuing rev" most of the time along with that forward punch feeling. in S2 you get the ignition cut sound, but the shift doesn't feel fast.

I usually drive with the paddles on S2, but the m4 sounds best in sports-plus and auto D2 shift mode, as it provides the best sound and shifting experience, D3 revs too high for daily driving.

With Xhp, Anyone able to attain that nice "PDK" shifting experience like the video linked above or audi r8's crisp and distinct shifting experience?

I'm catless with activeautowerkes equal length midpipes, trying to replicate a better more exotic shift sound with a DCT.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 12:12 PM   #272
CedricB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
tp that low is going to feel sluggish. Clutch is probably slipping.. Flash v1.4 stage 3. If you want fast upshifts dl1 is worthless. I use dl2 for cruising. try 450/5. Id stay around 450 maybe move it between 400-500 and if it "hits" too hard on the shift drop tp to 4. Ive done probably more testing than anyone with xhp on dct and the guy above from ghana has been my side kick lol
Thanks, I’m getting there: I set up stage 2 map, TR450 and TP3. It’s getting better!! Will try TP 4 and 5. Will report results

If you perform this test already, which map should be better for crisp upshift but with the less “forward bump”, stage 2, stage 3 ?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 02:28 PM   #273
davyent
Ghana
Rep
Drives: 15' BMW F80 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, I’m getting there: I set up stage 2 map, TR450 and TP3. It’s getting better!! Will try TP 4 and 5. Will report results

If you perform this test already, which map should be better for crisp upshift but with the less “forward bump”, stage 2, stage 3 ?
Stage 2 is ideal for daily driving.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 11:05 PM   #274
CedricB
Enlisted Member
Rep

It is improving with your advise. Thanks!
I’m now using:
Stage 2
TR 450
TP 4
Stock shiftpoints
Kickdown delete

Driving in S2 mode, the “forward punch” is as low as I could get it so far. If I shift between
2500-3500 rpm —> small spongy feels (clutch slip)
4000-5000 rpm —> Crisp, barely any punch forward
5000+ Rpm —> bigger punch the higher I shift.

Cross-posting on other thread (somehow different crowd)

Thanks again, and I’m curious if you have more ideas on how to get crisp upshift at every range of rpm or is it an expected behavior of this DCT?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 11:24 PM   #275
CedricB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Getting better everyday on this last setting tr450/tp4/stage 2
I guess, the adaptation is coming progressively.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 05:53 AM   #276
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Getting better everyday on this last setting tr450/tp4/stage 2
I guess, the adaptation is coming progressively.
After doing that testing for you I noticed more kick after a few days, so you're right about the adaptation learning a bit. I'm still at TR400/TP5/Stg3v1.4 and in DL2 Comfort/Sport and S3 Sport+ there's a good firm kick on shifts, but not too much. If I were running a Stage2 Flash then the TP might need to go back to 4 or even 3 to avoid tire spin on a shift when floored. I'm only running the GTS flash for daily driving, since I have no hub protection yet.
      10-29-2022, 09:58 AM   #277
CedricB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
After doing that testing for you I noticed more kick after a few days, so you're right about the adaptation learning a bit. I'm still at TR400/TP5/Stg3v1.4 and in DL2 Comfort/Sport and S3 Sport+ there's a good firm kick on shifts, but not too much. If I were running a Stage2 Flash then the TP might need to go back to 4 or even 3 to avoid tire spin on a shift when floored. I'm only running the GTS flash for daily driving, since I have no hub protection yet.
What do you mean by “hub protection” ? Which M4 version are you driving and any flash/tunes upgrades ?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 06:01 PM   #278
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Hub protection is a CBC or Hub Fix, or both.

I currently have an '18 M4 Comp, and the tune is Bootmod3 Stage0 GTS Flash (engine flash, not trans flash).
      10-30-2022, 02:58 AM   #279
Motown65
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It is improving with your advise. Thanks!
I’m now using:
Stage 2
TR 450
TP 4
Stock shiftpoints
Kickdown delete

Driving in S2 mode, the “forward punch” is as low as I could get it so far. If I shift between
2500-3500 rpm —> small spongy feels (clutch slip)
4000-5000 rpm —> Crisp, barely any punch forward
5000+ Rpm —> bigger punch the higher I shift.

Cross-posting on other thread (somehow different crowd)

Thanks again, and I’m curious if you have more ideas on how to get crisp upshift at every range of rpm or is it an expected behavior of this DCT?
I only use stage 3 as thats the one with the 20 bar pressure. The less power the cars at when you shift the less firm itll be so its just how i believe the operation is. also stock turbos you should be shifting around 6200 rpm lol,
      10-30-2022, 03:01 AM   #280
Motown65
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Just slap a cbc on and the thing with too low a tp is the clutch is slipping more. TP is kinda like releasing a clutch on a mt car where a low number is slow and a high number is fast
      10-30-2022, 01:12 PM   #281
delz0r
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I've been running 1.4 for the last few weeks and it really feels great.

I run stage 3 with relaxed+ shift points and kickdown disabled.

My day to day in DL1 feels much quicker to move through the gears and the car just makes great smooth daily progress. Manual DL3 is faster and more aggressive.

HOWEVER, today in traffic on a very small incline I noticed the gearbox somewhat scrambling and being a little rough between heavy traffic movement. It then popped out of gear into neutral! I shut the engine down and re-engaged drive and all was ok. I have never experienced that before.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 07:15 AM   #282
CedricB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Just slap a cbc on and the thing with too low a tp is the clutch is slipping more. TP is kinda like releasing a clutch on a mt car where a low number is slow and a high number is fast
Thanks, that’s an interesting analogy with MT “release speed” for TP.
For TR, how would you compare with an MT?

Interesting test I made this weekend, I had to switch device (to a more recent iPad), so I flash-remove XHP completely and did a quick test drive….very noticeable difference in shift speed (much slower).

Reinstalled XHP, Map Stage 3 1.4, TR450/TP4/stock shift point. Fast shift is back!

Shift “bump” is still there, but with a variable strength depending on shift RPM and engine load. Still trying to figure out the engineering behind this behavior. I’d like to get the actual numbers and calculation formula for each DL program: DL1,DL2, DL3 in both auto (D) and manual (Sj mode. Anyone has those details?

The XHP export/import is half-working: Now I can “import”, but not “export” (pop up window will just close) Still a bug, or am I missing something? I’m using iPad iOS 15.7
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 10:41 PM   #283
Motown65
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, that’s an interesting analogy with MT “release speed” for TP.
For TR, how would you compare with an MT?

Interesting test I made this weekend, I had to switch device (to a more recent iPad), so I flash-remove XHP completely and did a quick test drive….very noticeable difference in shift speed (much slower).

Reinstalled XHP, Map Stage 3 1.4, TR450/TP4/stock shift point. Fast shift is back!

Shift “bump” is still there, but with a variable strength depending on shift RPM and engine load. Still trying to figure out the engineering behind this behavior. I’d like to get the actual numbers and calculation formula for each DL program: DL1,DL2, DL3 in both auto (D) and manual (Sj mode. Anyone has those details?

The XHP export/import is half-working: Now I can “import”, but not “export” (pop up window will just close) Still a bug, or am I missing something? I’m using iPad iOS 15.7
they wont give out the formula, ive been trying... Torque reduction is essentially maxed since you only have one clutch on a mt. If you flat foot shift itd be 0. the best weve come up with is based off your torque at clutch value in your log. I havent done testing in the different drive logic modes just while using launch control.
      11-04-2022, 11:04 PM   #284
CedricB
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
they wont give out the formula, ive been trying... Torque reduction is essentially maxed since you only have one clutch on a mt. If you flat foot shift itd be 0. the best weve come up with is based off your torque at clutch value in your log. I havent done testing in the different drive logic modes just while using launch control.
Sorry, I’m quite confused by your post.
Who is not giving the formula? BMW or XHP?
“Torque reduction is maxed on a mt” ? We are talking about a DCT here, what are you referring to?
“Flat foot shift itd be 0” ?? What do you mean?
“Based off torque at clutch value” ?? So, what do you do with that “torque at clutch value”? How do you get it?
Would love your perspective, but please try to be a bit more specific.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 07:24 PM   #285
Motown65
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I’m quite confused by your post.
Who is not giving the formula? BMW or XHP? My buddy and I
“Torque reduction is maxed on a mt” ? We are talking about a DCT here, what are you referring to? You asked how itd be on compared to a manual car
“Flat foot shift itd be 0” ?? What do you mean? same answer as above
“Based off torque at clutch value” ?? So, what do you do with that “torque at clutch value”? How do you get it? You have to log the car to get the value. You take the value before the shift and multiply it by .66666 to get a round about torque reduction
Would love your perspective, but please try to be a bit more specific.
      11-05-2022, 07:26 PM   #286
Motown65
Private First Class
Rep

today at the strip i was running 450/5/0/0/4 (TR/TP/DS/TI/TAS) 3400 rpm launch. i was over powering the 1-2 shift and spinning even though these settings worked on the cold unprepped asphalt... Ended up getting a clean run when turning tp to 4. Still felt like there was a kick in the shifts and it was a slow 10.7s run