proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-29-2021, 08:35 PM   #1
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Opinion on Samsung Frame TV

Anyone have this?

Any opinions? I usually like to put a TV on a stand & not mount it, so not sure if it's worth it, but I decided to buy one, picking it up this week.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sa...the-frame-2020

Apparently the Hissense U6G is the tv to get. Not sure about that brand though, but I think the fail rate of all new TVs is pretty high.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 08:36 PM   #2
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Sub’d. We’ve been looking at them as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 08:50 PM   #3
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
Anyone have this?

Any opinions? I usually like to put a TV on a stand & not mount it, so not sure if it's worth it, but I decided to buy one, picking it up this week.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sa...the-frame-2020

Apparently the Hissense U6G is the tv to get. Not sure about that brand though, but I think the fail rate of all new TVs is pretty high.
Depends what you are going to utilize it for. Gaming / sports? No.

High architecture and interior design? Modern design? Then yes.

Samsung QN90 and Sony A90 are probably two of the better tv's currently. I went with the 85" Samsung for living room - as it was better tv for sports / games / anything with high frame rate. Sony is substantially more expensive as well. My bigger gripe are all the "smart" functions. My home networks don't play well with smart tv's. I have a firewall established where I don't get ads on anything. Most things don't even notice but on the "smart" tv's? It always causes a hiccup now and again. The Sony is OLED and the Samsung is MicroLED.

The best picture quality I've ever seen still or rather the richest blacks were on the old Pioneer plasma tv's. Sure they weigh the same as a Mini Cooper and aren't "thin" considering today's standards but I'll be damned if those tv's still doesn't have the blackest blacks for 20 year old tech.

I'm not knocking anyone from getting a Vizio or HighSense but you do get what you pay for. In the past say 10 years, I've had 4 Samsung's and 2 Sony's. There was a brief stint with a LG but it didn't last long. Ive never had anything go wrong with any of the tv's. Given my older tv's away to friends or employees - nobodies ever mentioned issues.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2021, 09:24 PM   #4
Sublime00
Banned
Rep

I'm also getting it for $1200.

How much does that change the equation?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 09:32 PM   #5
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:

How much does the equation?
Depends on your financial situation. If you can afford it, this is something that will presumably get a decent amount of use, entertainment, et all? I'd spend the money to get quality.

If it's going in the spare bedroom or maybe even your bedroom? Get a bargain.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 10:29 PM   #6
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

If you are trying to get away with putting a TV in a room that shouldn’t really have a TV, maybe something to consider. Otherwise, I personally don’t see the need or reason for one.
      08-29-2021, 11:17 PM   #7
vara411
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

I confess I got carried away in my home and own three 2019 models. Two in the living room (the first prominently displayed over the fireplace, the second "hiding" in a gallery wall to the right), and the third in the bar. Got great deals on all three and if you're patient you'll find one.

We've been very happy with all three, though the one in the bar gets finicky with Wi-Fi signal and sometimes needs the occasional power cycle... If you're a pixel-peeper then maybe these aren't for you; I clearly bought them for the aesthetics and they've fooled a number of uninitiated who enter my home.

Why two Frame TVs in one room? College football, NFL Sundays, NBA Playoffs... It's great having two on at once. Sometimes if we have a bunch of people over I'll put the same game on both sets so everyone can get a great view without craning their necks.

... Funny, this is my first post to these forums after joining. Pre-season, pre-season, pre-season...
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2021, 05:52 AM   #8
Sublime00
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Quote:

How much does the equation?
Depends on your financial situation. If you can afford it, this is something that will presumably get a decent amount of use, entertainment, et all? I'd spend the money to get quality.

If it's going in the spare bedroom or maybe even your bedroom? Get a bargain.
With the $1200 comment, what I meant to say is that it's a $2800 TV and has a gimmick attached to it which may or may not appeal to you.

At a certain price the gimmick goes away and you're left comparing one TV to another TV, picture quality to picture quality.

I've had two Samsung TVs that have failed within a year of purchase but my old 2010 Samsung still works. In my experience TVs have largely become disposable appliances so I wonder just how much reliability & longevity you get from any Television brand nowadays.

I'm just no longer a brand snob with televisions. Not sure how much faith you put in rrtings reviews, but that Hissense U6G is supposed to provide a phenomenal picture.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 06:13 AM   #9
tgrundke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 M340xi; '16 GTI Autobahn

Garage List
2023 M340  [10.00]
At that price point, I'd be more interested in the LG OLEDs, especially the newest C1 edition: https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled55c1pub-oled-4k-tv
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 06:32 AM   #10
mapleleaf1773
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrundke View Post
At that price point, I'd be more interested in the LG OLEDs, especially the newest C1 edition: https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled55c1pub-oled-4k-tv
I'd go this route as well
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 07:48 AM   #11
tgrundke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 M340xi; '16 GTI Autobahn

Garage List
2023 M340  [10.00]
Yeah, the C1, or even the 2020 CX models (getting hard to find, and price points are very similar), are outstanding. I've been doing a lot of research and in this price range, the LG OLEDs are the way to go.

Related to pricing: there's a big jump in price between the 55" and 65" models. Word from the AV forums is that LG just brought a bunch of new factory capacity online in the last 30 days with the goal of pushing the prices down a bit. There are a few places that are selling the 65" C1 model for $1899 now, and scuttlebutt is that we should see them down to around $1699 by fall.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 08:25 AM   #12
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

why the frame and not one of samsungs other QLED TVs?

Im not a fan of TVs with big bezels.

I recently got the Samsung Q60A for an outdoor TV and its great for that and one of the cheaper TVs. Gets bright, good picture quality, and has bluetooth connectivity so i can connect to wireless speakers next to where i sit.

I also have an LG CX for my living room. Its great for where I have it, but when I tried it outside, it wasnt quite as bright as the samsung, so if you have a lot of light in your room, may not be the best.

Only reason to get the frame, in my opinion, is if you are mounting it on a wall and want it double as a picture when you arent using it. Otherwise, one of the low profile, thin bezel TVs look better. And you can get much better picture quality out of them.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 09:06 AM   #13
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Samsung Frame is a great TV if you don't want it to look like a TV most of the time. It is not going to be the best picture or refresh rate but it is great at what it is built for. For my downstairs room where I watch movies and game we have a nice LG, but for our upstairs the Frame would be perfect as we would have it be "art" more often than having the TV on likely.

My friends have had a Frame for 3-4 years and they still love it.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 09:19 AM   #14
Bonk!
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 235i m

Just FYI, some Samsung TVs don't play well with YouTube Live TV.
Appreciate 1
Sublime001137.00
      08-30-2021, 09:38 AM   #15
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 XDrive

Quote:

Samsung QN90 and Sony A90 are probably two of the better tv's currently. I went with the 85" Samsung for living room - as it was better tv for sports / games / anything with high frame rate. Sony is substantially more expensive as well. My bigger gripe are all the "smart" functions. My home networks don't play well with smart tv's. I have a firewall established where I don't get ads on anything. Most things don't even notice but on the "smart" tv's? It always causes a hiccup now and again. The Sony is OLED and the Samsung is MicroLED.

The best picture quality I've ever seen still or rather the richest blacks were on the old Panasonic Plasma tv's. Sure they weigh the same as a Mini Cooper and aren't "thin" considering today's standards but I'll be damned if those tv's still doesn't have the blackest blacks for 20 year old tech.

I'm not knocking anyone from getting a Vizio or HighSense but you do get what you pay for. In the past say 10 years, I've had 4 Samsung's and 2 Sony's. There was a brief stint with a LG but it didn't last long. Ive never had anything go wrong with any of the tv's. Given my older tv's away to friends or employees - nobodies ever mentioned issues.
Then you never saw a Pioneer Kuro
I still kick myself for getting rid of mine, but I wanted larger than a 50”

Love both my Panasonic OLED and LG OLED sets (family room and basement).
Appreciate 1
shoei7779.00
      08-30-2021, 11:14 AM   #16
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongoxxx View Post
Quote:

The best picture quality I've ever seen still or rather the richest blacks were on the old Panasonic Plasma tv's. Sure they weigh the same as a Mini Cooper and aren't "thin" considering today's standards but I'll be damned if those tv's still doesn't have the blackest blacks for 20 year old tech.

Then you never saw a Pioneer Kuro
I still kick myself for getting rid of mine, but I wanted larger than a 50”

Love both my Panasonic OLED and LG OLED sets (family room and basement).
Whoop, my bad. Not Panasonic, lmfao. Pioneer. No clue why I said Panasonic. 😂😂😂
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 11:41 AM   #17
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

One thing not mentioned is I've seen it back to back with traditional LED and it's not as bright as a good one of those . If it's in a bright room that might be a problem.

I have a massive bank of windows in my living room and nothing to block light mid-day so that is a thing to me
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 11:54 AM   #18
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by vara411 View Post
I confess I got carried away in my home and own three 2019 models. Two in the living room (the first prominently displayed over the fireplace, the second "hiding" in a gallery wall to the right), and the third in the bar. Got great deals on all three and if you're patient you'll find one.

We've been very happy with all three, though the one in the bar gets finicky with Wi-Fi signal and sometimes needs the occasional power cycle... If you're a pixel-peeper then maybe these aren't for you; I clearly bought them for the aesthetics and they've fooled a number of uninitiated who enter my home.

Why two Frame TVs in one room? College football, NFL Sundays, NBA Playoffs... It's great having two on at once. Sometimes if we have a bunch of people over I'll put the same game on both sets so everyone can get a great view without craning their necks.

... Funny, this is my first post to these forums after joining. Pre-season, pre-season, pre-season...
Sounds cool, can you post pics showcasing?
Appreciate 0