EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-24-2021, 03:37 PM   #1
F82CS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4CS

Hard braking, car downshift on its own.

Hey guys so i have a question, i live in the city so sometimes i rip it short distance to hear the tires chirp and the engine scream especially with buildings all around everything is like 10x louder, but when i do hard brakes after an acceleration the car does i feel like an aggressive downshift on its own as im braking pretty hard, yet i d k how to explain it, it still feels like the car is not really braking and engine sounds like overheating when i do so.
Tried my best to explain this as its hard to explain!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 03:53 PM   #2
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Sorry to be a wet towel but you are contributing to the M stereotype (which now seems on par with the Dodge 392 crew)

Don't get me wrong, there is a time and place for the pops and bangs but it's not in a City with pedestrians. Let's not give Aunt Karen more support for a ban on aftermarket exhaust and petroleum.
Appreciate 4
      09-24-2021, 04:24 PM   #3
F82CS
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
Sorry to be a wet towel but you are contributing to the M stereotype (which now seems on par with the Dodge 392 crew)

Don't get me wrong, there is a time and place for the pops and bangs but it's not in a City with pedestrians. Let's not give Aunt Karen more support for a ban on aftermarket exhaust and petroleum.
Just trying be detailed as possible!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 04:50 PM   #4
m4tic
Rep
Drives: ol beater

Hard braking + DCT = programmed anticipation for turn/apex/acceleration .. meant to keep you in powerband when *ahem* ON THE RACETRACK
Appreciate 7
      09-24-2021, 05:02 PM   #5
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Ok.

"it still feels like the car is not really braking and engine sounds like overheating when i do so."

First, your foot is on the pedal, yet it doesn't feel like any force is being applied to the brakes? And I can assume you are driving with one foot right?

Second. What does overheating sound like? Escaping steam? "WHOOSH" noises? Please, no offence at all, but have you owned a turbo charged car before?

Third, cars tend to downshift when decelerating. What setting are you using for the Drivelogic? S1,2 or 3? Possibly you know, but each of those setting can dramatically change the attitude of the tranny, especially when decelerating.

I have also found gunning it (not anywhere near people, buildings, etc.) and then letting off the gas abruptly can cause all sorts of noises, jolts and drivetrain noise that can be unsettling if you are not ready for it. These cars have a constant chorus of noises and feedback going on when you are on it. I guess I would expect shutting all that down quickly or abruptly could cause a myriad of reactions by the car, and probably isn't super healthy for the drive train if done often.

Anyway, possibly the smarty pant folks can chime in with more insight. I need more info to understand what you are going through.

good luck either way!
josh
Appreciate 3
      09-24-2021, 06:49 PM   #6
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Car is downshifting for you because it expects you will enter a corner and is letting you into the powerband to accelerate.
Appreciate 2
      09-24-2021, 06:50 PM   #7
F82CS
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
Car is downshifting for you because it expects you will enter a corner and is letting you into the powerband to accelerate.
Thanks man appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 12:18 AM   #8
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Ummm… take the DCT out of sport plus.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 03:45 PM   #9
hr55ngh
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition SMB

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
I take it you mean drivelogic mode 3? There is no sports plus option on the DCT, only drivelogic modes.
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      09-29-2021, 05:55 PM   #10
hr55ngh
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition SMB

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F82CS View Post
Hey guys so i have a question, i live in the city so sometimes i rip it short distance to hear the tires chirp and the engine scream especially with buildings all around everything is like 10x louder, but when i do hard brakes after an acceleration the car does i feel like an aggressive downshift on its own as im braking pretty hard, yet i d k how to explain it, it still feels like the car is not really braking and engine sounds like overheating when i do so.
"sounds like overheating" - you mean the ABS kicks in? Or maybe turbo spooling.

The DCT does not like it when you don't have a foot on either pedal, it holds on to revs and doesn't sound good nor feel comfortable, you either have to brake or accelerate. It's not an auto, it's closer to a manual, so it can have a feeling like it's coasting.

I would suggest you drive the car a bit more to get more experience with it, learn its limits and get used to how it drives and feels. They aren't great in cities and towns, they want to be on the open road, that's where they're the most fun.

Good luck and enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 06:12 PM   #11
six75LT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

are you shifting manually or driving in auto mode?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 11:23 AM   #12
BlackF82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

I think I know pretty well what your trying to explain, it is normal for it to do that.

Your accelerating hard which tells the car its go time. Then your braking aggressively which the car is doing what it should do, downshifting to lower gears. This even happens in efficient mode. I don't want to get into why this happens.

As for overheating, it is not (look at your temp gauge). Your in the city working the car hard and a lot of stop and go is going on. Your fans are coming on to cool the car because its working hard. For example, if your were going at higher speeds on the highway, this wont happen because the wind is cooling it.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 03:19 AM   #13
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F82CS View Post
The DCT downshifting has already been mentioned, but maybe your foot is hitting both the brake and accelerator at the same time? It shouldn't sound like it's "overheating" though so another possibility is the active sound (fake engine sounds pumped through the cabin. The F8X Active Sound gave me that uneasy feeling whenever I heard it in my old M3. It felt like I was punishing the car. It truly sounds horrible. My M3CS came with active sound disabled, but I know other CS owners had theirs on by default. You can have it coded off, which I highly recommend.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 12:56 AM   #14
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hr55ngh View Post
Quote:
I take it you mean drivelogic mode 3? There is no sports plus option on the DCT, only drivelogic modes.
Yes that's what I meant. In 3 mode DCT down shifts earlier and faster thru the gears under aggressive braking.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 04:15 AM   #15
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Yes that's what I meant. In 3 mode DCT down shifts earlier and faster thru the gears under aggressive braking.
That is by the designed programming. As the shift mode gets more agressive in D it carries the shift point higher, longer and harder. Same applies to the down shifts....and on downshifts brake pressure/speed decrease affects the down shift points. If you do not want it to downshift for you run in S all the time. In S it will shift you as you slow down when the RPM's get blow a certain point like rolling to a stop etc but the dramatic shift downs will cease
Appreciate 0